TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I pray that CP will get a new coaster for their 150th anniversary. I hope that new coaster is something similar to Kentucky Kingdom's Kentucky Flyer. It needs to be highly teased, so I can watch everyone on facebook lose their minds. That would be my 150th anniversary wish.

I agree that CP needs something like Kentucky Flyer, but didn’t the park or maybe even Tony Clark say it would top Steel Vengeance?

No one understands my jokes, anymore.

Hey guys random question here. I know I can scroll through the thousand plus pages for this info but I kinda wanna be lazy and ask anyways cause I'm trying to help a friend from the UK research a trip. I have never stayed in any hotel in Sandusky or on property so I have no idea. I just know some can be real hell holes.

I'm really curious if any of you who travel and stay off property can list the hotels to avoid like the plague.

And if anyone has any suggestions for clean, affordable accommodations as well. But the more important information is honestly the hotels to avoid.

Thanks!

(They are pricing out park owned properties but would like some other options too)

Hey guys random question here. I know I can scroll through the thousand plus pages for this info but I kinda wanna be lazy and ask anyways cause I'm trying to help a friend from the UK research a trip. I have never stayed in any hotel in Sandusky or on property so I have no idea. I just know some can be real hell holes.

I'm really curious if any of you who travel and stay off property can list the hotels to avoid like the plague.

And if anyone has any suggestions for clean, affordable accommodations as well. But the more important information is honestly the hotels to avoid.

Thanks!

(They are pricing out park owned properties but would like some other options too)

I've only been there once (from Germany) and can highly recommend Breakers if the go for a once-in-a-lifetime-trip (or better once for a long time), because it halps you really getting on everything and having the option to go back, take a nap, avoid the midday ruhs and heat and use your time. Sure it's expensive. But for us, it was worth it. The room was great.

We were there for three and a half days, went to the park at 10 or 11 am, went for a nap around 3 pm, took the last ride on eacht coaster in the middle of the night and were in bed only 20 minutes after leaving the train. Just so convenient. As long a we will go there, we'll use Breakers.

If they will be to the Point more often and have probably Platinum Passes they may go to hotels off ground. Coasterbill has some good advices here.

Thanks!

I've only been there once (from Germany) and can highly recommend Breakers if the go for a once-in-a-lifetime-trip (or better once for a long time), because it halps you really getting on everything and having the option to go back, take a nap, avoid the midday ruhs and heat and use your time. Sure it's expensive. But for us, it was worth it. The room was great.

We were there for three and a half days, went to the park at 10 or 11 am, went for a nap around 3 pm, took the last ride on eacht coaster in the middle of the night and were in bed only 20 minutes after leaving the train. Just so convenient. As long a we will go there, we'll use Breakers.

If they will be to the Point more often and have probably Platinum Passes they may go to hotels off ground. Coasterbill has some good advices here.

I already recommended the park owned properties due to all the added benefits but with travel and what not those hotels are a little out of the price range for their current trip budget. Not completely ruled out but they definitely want to explore more budget friendly options before making decisions. Thank you for your advice!

I'm wanting to say that I've heard a lot of good things about the nearby Super 8. I would suggest staying away from any locally owned hotels. Breakers Express is a good option. The rooms weren't great, but it was a good place to completely pass the FFFF out after two full days at Coaster Campout. Although, even if the room sucked, I think we pretty much died for eight hours that night, anyway.

Wherever you choose to stay, just check reviews for any reported bed bug findings, unless you want to take them home with you.

I can confirm that it's quite good for a Super 8 (though it's a bit far from the park).

Don't confuse it with this place which used to be a Super 8 until last year and comes up in a bunch of searches for "Super 8 Sandusky" but apparently since it was such a sh*thole they made it some off-brand crap for a year and now Choice scooped it up and branded it as a Rodeway Inn (Their bottom-of-the-barrel brand). You want the place by the Turnpike.

I spent 4 days at Sandusky's Econo Lodge North. It was a super convenient location (5 minute drive to Cedar Point), cheap (I mean what else would you expect from Econo Lodge), and clean. The only negative was how bad the wireless internet was, but it's not a big issue if you plan to spend most of your time at the park.

When I went in August, I actually ditched the hotel idea and rented a condo for the couple days. I can’t remember the website, it may have been home away.com or something, but look up Chesapeake Lofts. Near the park, the place had good internet, had a pool, and a patio that looked out over the marina at the park. Awesome view at night with all the lit up coasters!

512AD1F0-AA46-40FA-809A-8C535B643BBF.thumb.jpeg.ae5c0d2fb0f15055d24806a483994e77.jpeg

Don’t have any photos of the unit but I have a photo of the view off the porch!

If price is a major factor, and this is mainly for a place to crash, Motel 6 Huron isn't bad at all. It's cheap, clean, even has an indoor pool and hot tub if that's your thing. It's about 15 minutes from the motel to the parking lot. Definitely a legit low cost option.

I spent 4 days at Sandusky's Econo Lodge North. It was a super convenient location (5 minute drive to Cedar Point), cheap (I mean what else would you expect from Econo Lodge), and clean. The only negative was how bad the wireless internet was, but it's not a big issue if you plan to spend most of your time at the park.

This is my go-to also but I have mixed feelings. The rooms are surprisingly decent (fake bed runners... klassy) but it has outdoor hallways and sometimes it's just a Sandusky sh*thole parking lot party (other times it's fine, it all depends).

I'll probably continue to stay there because the location is great but I wouldn't recommend it to people with actual standards.

I stayed at Comfort Inn River’s Edge in Huron last summer and was pleased with it. The rooms were comfortable and clean, WiFi worked, and hot breakfast was included. It was a little cheaper than the Comfort Inn in Sandusky, and was about a 20-minute drive from the park. It overlooks the Huron River, so prepare for the stench of dead fish as soon as you get out of the car, LOL. But you don’t smell it inside the hotel, and it provides a nice view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two philosophies when I travel:

Option 1 - Luxury/Best-of-the-Best. In this case, that would be Breakers.

Option 2 - Cheapest I can get where I'm not going to get robbed at/infected with bedbugs. In this case, that would be the Magnuson Hotel. Others here will call boo but I had a perfectly fine 3-night stay back in June 2017 for like $40 a night. The pool being open until midnight was awesome. On an amusement park trip you're not spending any time in the hotel.

Thanks!

I already recommended the park owned properties due to all the added benefits but with travel and what not those hotels are a little out of the price range for their current trip budget. Not completely ruled out but they definitely want to explore more budget friendly options before making decisions. Thank you for your advice!

you already know this, but I too don't think I'd ever go back and NOT stay at Hotel Breakers

(I've been twice, and did Breakers both times. . so can't really give any insight to offsite properties).

yes, it is expensive, but in this case you're talking about folks coming from overseas, so it's nuts (to me) not to just spend the money and stay on site.

in addition to the easy access (and early access) that Hotel Breakers Guests get? they will NOT have to deal with the stress of the parking, crossing the causeway, or the mass of folks at the front gates to get in.

seriously, my honest feedback is to spend the money, stay at Hotel Breakers, and if they need to save some $$ to make up for it? stock up on bread/peanut butter/snacks, and make use of the fridge, microwave, and storage space in every Hotel Breakers room, and save budget there by eating every meal in room on the cheap.

(I would still end up eating at Famous Dave's and Melt! in the park. . but yeah, you *can* just make meals in the room if you bring your supplies with you).

hope this helps.

bert

For the choice hotels brand... stay away from pretty much everything. :-P

Econo-lodge North is the go-to for me, though. It's not anything to write home about, but it's afordable and the location is just as close (well +1 minute) as the CP express hotel. I've stayed there 3 times without issues. Actually I take that back there were no towels one time for some reason lol.

5cbf129d68b03f155218c0bfc578fe31.jpg

Edited by anonymouscactus

This is my go-to also but I have mixed feelings. The rooms are surprisingly decent (fake bed runners... klassy) but it has outdoor hallways and sometimes it's just a Sandusky sh*thole parking lot party (other times it's fine, it all depends).

I'll probably continue to stay there because the location is great but I wouldn't recommend it to people with actual standards.

The hotel next door was rocking, but the Econo Lodge was quiet. And it welcomed my imaginary friend.

IMG_20180828_150034.thumb.jpg.7725a24e9ef4f7cf0360383250d6f3c1.jpg

There are some great, affordable and safe not so far away hotels in the Sandusky area. To be fair, not so far away to me means within a 15 minute commute. All of these hotels that I recommend I have actually stayed at. Most are on Milan Dr. south of OH-2 and are fantastic, (Hampton Inn, Fairfield Inn and Best Western) and if you add 7-9 more minutes and drive down Milan Dr. (past Kalahari resort near the turnpike) there are a few more really clean affordable and safe hotels (the country inn & suites is A+A+ as is that Hampton Inn behind it). The commute is great if you use Bogart road behind the Hampton Inn by OH-2 then left on Galloway road then left onto Perkins,right on Remington Ave. then left on Cleveland Rd. W. to Cedar point Drive. It sounds much much harder than it is and most importantly, bypasses the Milan road commercial strip, which can take forever to drive on due to so many traffic lights. it's the best way. That being said, check to be sure there are no major conferences at Kalahari on the dates you are going as that can be a mess with hotels and travel there. Nearer the park, Express hotel is good for the price, although really no amenities other than early entry if you are not a pass holder (It also feels safe there.). For myself and family, the commute is easily outweighed by a really clean, safe and modern room. I feel that the commute is equal to my daily drive to work and that is more than acceptable. The price range on all of these are similar and are much much less than breakers and on site properties, with much better amenities.

Option 2 - Cheapest I can get where I'm not going to get robbed at/infected with bedbugs.

A warning to all fellow travelers. Always be vigilant and always check. We stay at nice places, with bed bugs being one of the primary concerns. We let our guard down and stopped checking, after always staying at higher end places and never having a bad experience.

Our Pensacola Beach $2,500+/week beach front condo this past summer brought our bug free streak to an end, as I woke up at 1 AM and turned on the lights after feeling something crawling on me. I spent the rest of the night washing every shred of clothing I had with me, transferring to a new condo at 3am, and being scared shitless like a little bitch.

Even with the new condo and a generous reimbursement, I never ended up feeling comfortable that trip and a few hotel stays after that. It's frightening, because they're easy to bring home unless you do damage control prior to being back home. We went overkill to the extreme on our damage control.

I also knew a friend who was involved in the renovation of Breakers, which reportedly had quite a few rooms infested prior to renovation. Always lift that fffking mattress!

Everyone seems to have great recommendations, but last year we had a pretty good time staying on the peninsula. It was our best trip to CP, by far. We paid $200 in total for the two of us, including tickets for two days and early admission. Free breakfast, too...

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I've been pushing the Hotel Breakers stay for all the obvious reasons but not my money so...

I do believe the plan is to get Platinum passes so that will give them at minimum the parking and early entry perks.

Anywho, thanks again for all the help!

I'm pretty loyal to Airbnb. Its awesome if you want just a private room, or an entire house for you and your friends and/or family. I've even been cheap enough where I've just rented a couch or private space in a room -- haven't done that in a while, but I'll do the hostels every now and then.

When my friends and I went to Sandusky last May, we got an Airbnb for that portion of the road trip. We got an entire house for a very, very low price that was still incredibly close to the park with free driveway parking. We went to Cedar Point two whole days and the rope drop and morning of the third day. Having the entire place was great for the second day, we did the first few hours at the park, went back to the Airbnb in the middle of the day and killed time, made lunch and watched a movie and watched some news, and went back to CP for the evening.

A warning to all fellow travelers. Always be vigilant and always check. We stay at nice places, with bed bugs being one of the primary concerns. We let our guard down and stopped checking, after always staying at higher end places and never having a bad experience.

My daughter knows the drill now. We check in, leaving luggage in the car. We completely strip beds and pillowcases and lift mattresses, inspecting every square inch of mattress, pillows, and bed coverings. Haven't seen a bed bug yet, but if we ever do we will promptly go to another hotel. When we bring our luggage in, it stays on hard surfaces. We also leave the Do Not Disturb tag out or the card that says we don't need bedding/towels changed, since we rarely spend more than two nights in one room.