TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

On an unrelated note, how much of a queue does Electric Eel tend to get? I noticed it's not on the Quick Queue and know Sky Rocket II's aren't exactly capacity machines. I think I may stop in before my Platinum Pass expires on MLKJ weekend.

They have an option where you add one ride on Electric Eel. Looks to be $10 more than the regular QQ ($25 that weekend). It's showing $35 for the offer below on that weekend (Sat, Sun & MLK day).

Capture.thumb.JPG.15db5645694144174a2c7d58dc055a2c.JPG

Is this coaster going to be near their Shark Exhibit? Will they theme it like they did with Mako in Orlando?

Hopefully they do because they did a great job and brought life back to the Shark part of the park (which was always one of my favorites.)

D

Is this coaster going to be near their Shark Exhibit? Will they theme it like they did with Mako in Orlando?

Hopefully they do because they did a great job and brought life back to the Shark part of the park (which was always one of my favorites.)

D

It's not. The closest animal attraction to Mako will be Wild Arctic. Mako is being built adjacent to Journey to Atlantis.

They did announce that they were going to be pumping some money into a Shark Encounter renovation though.

Since it hasn't been posted yet here, a document used at a city council review in San Diego includes Mako's layout as well as renderings showing the impact on the skyline. You can find that document here:

https://www.sandiego.gov/sites/default/files/2020_sd_city_planning_presentation_1_17_19.pdf

There are a couple of Nolimits renderings of this layout on youtube. I'll post the slide outlining the layout--looks to be a good dive coaster!

2019-01-25.thumb.png.7e3bdcd83d403153742ed9ec3a4ebe3c.png

I think the whole document is an interesting read. It also mentions a "Maximum of 18 riders at once." Given the layout, I assume this means the trains will have 3 6-seat rows

876943013_2019-01-25(5).thumb.png.8fed62219f401495407acaacb37901be.png

Fiesta Island Rendering

1596331193_2019-01-25(3).thumb.png.c432dcaceb4854184e378ca48463203d.png

Mission bay bridge rendering from document

I wouldn't count on it. Those are just the seats that B&M is using now.

Yeah, I suppose you're right. Just remember that the new B&M Dive coaster that opened in South Korea last year features B&M's original restraints, which leads me to believe it is a park decision and not B&M's. I think it could really go either way, and even though it's a small feature, I really do think it makes a difference in ride experience.

But I digress. This is a fantastic addition to the park and the first B&M in SoCal since Tatsu 13 years ago, so I'm thrilled.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw on twitter that last night some gondolas got stuck after wind caused the circuit breaker to flip. 16 people had to be rescued. It was a cold night too. Had to be tough to rescue people above water. This won’t be good for the park but glad to hear everyone was rescued eventually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/amp/16-people-rescued-from-gondola-ride-at-seaworld-/5144798/

I guess I’m surprised because I would of thought these kinds of rides would have a backup generator or pulley system in case something like this was to happen.

I saw on twitter that last night some gondolas got stuck after wind caused the circuit breaker to flip. 16 people had to be rescued. It was a cold night too. Had to be tough to rescue people above water. This won’t be good for the park but glad to hear everyone was rescued eventually.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc13.com/amp/16-people-rescued-from-gondola-ride-at-seaworld-/5144798/

I guess I’m surprised because I would of thought these kinds of rides would have a backup generator or pulley system in case something like this was to happen.

Making the national news everywhere now. Love the 15 year old boy and his dad that were freezing cold and scared the gondola was going to drop at any minute.

I do agree though, seems odd they had to evacuate everyone and not have some backup to pull them back in.

So is this the end of that ride now? Bummer!

A few things:

1) That tends to happen when a ride with a wind limit of about 20 MPH runs in wind speeds that are 3 times that. The ride didn't do anything out of the ordinary here. Obviously the park didn't mean to run the ride in those conditions and it was a very sudden gust but they did and the ride's backup systems seem to have functioned as designed.

2) As for the specifics of what happened, thats above my pay grade. I think Rob Von Roll has an account here so maybe he can drop some knowledge. This is what I've gathered but all of this information basically comes from his posts so full credit to him and my apologies if I misinterpreted anything.

One of the main reasons that the ride can't run in high winds is that the cable can come off of the rollers on the tower. If it comes off towards the tower then it rests on the mechanics that support the rollers (which have a name but I don't know what that name is), if it comes off the other way there's a cable catcher on the outer frame so they definitely designed these rides with this scenario in mind. Apparently it came off towards the tower battery. Thanks to these backup systems the riders are totally safe but if the cable isn't on the rollers then you obviously can't bring the cabins in. This is a model, but basically this is what happened. The cabin wasn't going anywhere, but unfortunately "anywhere" includes "back to the station".

3) In order to get the cabins back to the station they need to adjust the counterweight to pull tension off of the cable, put the cable back on the rollers, put the tension back on the cable and bring them in with the backup motor so I would expect the ride to remain closed for a few days at least because it sounds like a real pain in the ass.

4) Someone should tell the fine people of San Diego that 49 degrees is not "freezing cold". Shut up.

Edited by coasterbill

4) Someone should tell the fine people of San Diego that 49 degrees is not "freezing cold". Shut up.

Haha I was thinking this too, some of us in colder weather areas would absolutely love a 49 degree day.

Plus if there is a ride to be stuck on this one isn't bad, ya have a nice view and no seat restraints and can at least move around a bit. It's not like being stuck on a stand up or flying coaster for hours lol

Edited by Satans Hockey

So yeah, no danger, 49 degrees, and just some complaining Californians.

That's what it sounds like to me.

By the way, here's a screen grab from a

. The position of the arm thingy (that's a technical term) pretty much confirms that the scenario laid out above is exactly what happened.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.e52decf2e06956b150252d6a2da81329.jpg

PS: I think it's called a hanger and/or grip but IDFK, lol

it's getting lots of coverage locally here (I wonder if it's because we're "close" to SeaWorld San Antonio).

I do fear this might cause this ride to shut for quite a while, as the headline on the morning news here was: passengers stuck for *hours* included a baby, and a partially paralyzed park goer.

To be 100% fair, I could absolutely see how terrifying it could be to have be evact from a swinging gondola if you have mobility issues. Tho no idea if this is one of the folks that's been talking to the news.

hopefully they wont' remove the ride, but for sure expect if/when it reopens, the slightest wind will bring the ride down.

To be fair, as a life long Southern Californian who has only seen snow 5 times in his life...49 degrees might as well have been -20

As the news reports state, this is something that is practiced every year by all the responding parties.

Sorry if I missed it, but how far up off the water are these things? Like aside from the baby and paralyzed person, would it be possible to safely jump into the water? Not that Seaworld would recommend that, but I would do it. Are there life vests aboard the gondolas?

Honestly, it wouldn't be the worst ride to get stuck on. At least you have range of motion and you're not in some uncomfortable position. Hopefully this dies down and the ride doesn't have to be removed.