Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:45 pm

coasterbill wrote:Parks do care about anniversaries from the standpoint of trying to sell sh*t and they almost always market them. The problem is that many people think "caring about anniversaries" means blowing the budget on a massive coaster just because it's an anniversary year which is ridiculous

I'm starting to think a lot of parks actually do less on anniversary years just because the anniversary itself is marketable and they don't need much beyond that.
Last edited by ytterbiumanalyst on Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:18 am.
Image

Don't put that donkey on the floor!
 
Posts: 1665
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Location: Probably Cedar Point
Gender: None specified

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby bluestreak » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:48 am

^ exactly my thoughts.
I look at it like this. It's your 150th anniversary. That's super marketable on it's own. You also want to build a giant new coaster, also extremely marketable. During the anniversary year you don't build the new coaster and then build it in the next year or two. That gives you two years of easy marketing.

Or the alternative is you build the new coaster during your anniversary and you only get one year of marketing out of the situation. I think it's pretty obvious that the park will always go with the former instead of the latter.
Steel: 150 Wood: 57 Total: 207

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4295
Joined: 05 Jul 2012
Location: On a two man ride with Flume Dog
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby prozach626 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:58 am

I pray that CP will get a new coaster for their 150th anniversary. I hope that new coaster is something similar to Kentucky Kingdom's Kentucky Flyer. It needs to be highly teased, so I can watch everyone on facebook lose their minds. That would be my 150th anniversary wish.

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 320
Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Location: Dearborn, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 36

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby AndrewA86 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:06 am

I agree that CP needs something like Kentucky Flyer, but didn’t the park or maybe even Tony Clark say it would top Steel Vengeance?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 7364
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:51 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I'm atarting to think a lot of parks actually do less on anniversary years just because the anniversary itself is marketable and they don't need much beyond that.


bluestreak wrote:^ exactly my thoughts.
I look at it like this. It's your 150th anniversary. That's super marketable on it's own. You also want to build a giant new coaster, also extremely marketable. During the anniversary year you don't build the new coaster and then build it in the next year or two.


:nina:

From an enthusiast standpoint, the park should build a new coaster. From a business standpoint, they definitely shouldn't bother. The anniversary and a billion awesome little things going on/being added/etc (the old school food items, maybe old school admission days, classic flats returning, parties etc?) is enough to get tons of people there. Tony has said at least once it is going to be more of a two-season event, going into 2021, so I could see them putting something large in the second year, and using 2020 to add/do a bunch of small things and also promote the following years big addition.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!
User avatar
 
Posts: 384
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Location: Palm Springs, CA
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby southpuddle » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:10 am

AndrewA86 wrote:I agree that CP needs something like Kentucky Flyer, but didn’t the park or maybe even Tony Clark say it would top Steel Vengeance?


Do you expect him to come out and say “Don’t get your hopes up because the next coaster won’t be nearly as good as Steel Vengeance!” ? It’s marketing - don’t look to far into anything.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
 
Posts: 3655
Joined: 04 Apr 2013
Location: Huntsville, MO
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Vonni » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:00 pm

I would still like to see an awesome GCI come to CP

I teach at the school of donkey!
User avatar
 
Posts: 320
Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Location: Dearborn, MI
Gender: Male
Age: 36

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby AndrewA86 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:14 pm

southpuddle wrote:
AndrewA86 wrote:I agree that CP needs something like Kentucky Flyer, but didn’t the park or maybe even Tony Clark say it would top Steel Vengeance?


Do you expect him to come out and say “Don’t get your hopes up because the next coaster won’t be nearly as good as Steel Vengeance!” ? It’s marketing - don’t look to far into anything.


I believe there will be some truth to it. “Top” could simply mean that it’s taller than SV. I’d like to see a Gerstlauer Infinity.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 7303
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:10 pm

I think we're all reading too much into this. He said very plainly that it will be on top of Steel Vengeance. I'm hoping for elevators like the Kings Island Eiffel Tower has to get to that station 200 feet in the air.
Image

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 4875
Joined: 23 Dec 2011
Location: Austin, Tx
Gender: Male
Age: 52

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby bert425 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:09 pm

AndrewA86 wrote:
southpuddle wrote:
AndrewA86 wrote:I agree that CP needs something like Kentucky Flyer, but didn’t the park or maybe even Tony Clark say it would top Steel Vengeance?


Do you expect him to come out and say “Don’t get your hopes up because the next coaster won’t be nearly as good as Steel Vengeance!” ? It’s marketing - don’t look to far into anything.


I believe there will be some truth to it. “Top” could simply mean that it’s taller than SV. I’d like to see a Gerstlauer Infinity.


it's a Top Spin to replace the Enterprise they removed! :p
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext