TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

That's one of those things than within the first few seconds you think that would be a pretty cool thing to have. Shortly after, you wonder wtf you'd do with it.

Agreed. I was thinking $325 is actually pretty cheap for an old vehicle. I could see an old coaster car being used as an oddball chair in a living room, but the Enterprise vehicles would have an obstructed view while also being sort of uncomfortable.

I have no doubt someone will jump on this though.

Isn't this price meant for the whole flat ride?

Parks do care about anniversaries from the standpoint of trying to sell sh*t and they almost always market them. The problem is that many people think "caring about anniversaries" means blowing the budget on a massive coaster just because it's an anniversary year which is ridiculous

^

And Rougarou back to...Mantis?

P.S. And I really really think the suggested "fruit juice logo containers"

will reeeeeeally bring the mobs in, to the park.

Not. #saidwithsarcasm

I know the park doesn't care about anniversaries, but it seems like the park will do some fun things in 2020 for their 150th.

(Queue people crying that we're not getting an 800 ft roller coaster lol)

Cedar Point planning 150th anniversary with retro ideas for 2020: What we know so far

I feel like this was put out to temper expectations a bit. Wouldn't be shocked at some sort of pirate ride type addition, obviously updated. Also bringing back retro food and beverage choices. Add a retro area similar to Route 76 at Valleyfair or County Fair (is that the name?) at Carowinds.

Parks do care about anniversaries from the standpoint of trying to sell sh*t and they almost always market them. The problem is that many people think "caring about anniversaries" means blowing the budget on a massive coaster just because it's an anniversary year which is ridiculous

I'm starting to think a lot of parks actually do less on anniversary years just because the anniversary itself is marketable and they don't need much beyond that.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

^ exactly my thoughts.

I look at it like this. It's your 150th anniversary. That's super marketable on it's own. You also want to build a giant new coaster, also extremely marketable. During the anniversary year you don't build the new coaster and then build it in the next year or two. That gives you two years of easy marketing.

Or the alternative is you build the new coaster during your anniversary and you only get one year of marketing out of the situation. I think it's pretty obvious that the park will always go with the former instead of the latter.

I pray that CP will get a new coaster for their 150th anniversary. I hope that new coaster is something similar to Kentucky Kingdom's Kentucky Flyer. It needs to be highly teased, so I can watch everyone on facebook lose their minds. That would be my 150th anniversary wish.

I'm atarting to think a lot of parks actually do less on anniversary years just because the anniversary itself is marketable and they don't need much beyond that.

^ exactly my thoughts.

I look at it like this. It's your 150th anniversary. That's super marketable on it's own. You also want to build a giant new coaster, also extremely marketable. During the anniversary year you don't build the new coaster and then build it in the next year or two.

From an enthusiast standpoint, the park should build a new coaster. From a business standpoint, they definitely shouldn't bother. The anniversary and a billion awesome little things going on/being added/etc (the old school food items, maybe old school admission days, classic flats returning, parties etc?) is enough to get tons of people there. Tony has said at least once it is going to be more of a two-season event, going into 2021, so I could see them putting something large in the second year, and using 2020 to add/do a bunch of small things and also promote the following years big addition.

I agree that CP needs something like Kentucky Flyer, but didn’t the park or maybe even Tony Clark say it would top Steel Vengeance?

Do you expect him to come out and say “Don’t get your hopes up because the next coaster won’t be nearly as good as Steel Vengeance!” ? It’s marketing - don’t look to far into anything.

I agree that CP needs something like Kentucky Flyer, but didn’t the park or maybe even Tony Clark say it would top Steel Vengeance?

Do you expect him to come out and say “Don’t get your hopes up because the next coaster won’t be nearly as good as Steel Vengeance!” ? It’s marketing - don’t look to far into anything.

I believe there will be some truth to it. “Top” could simply mean that it’s taller than SV. I’d like to see a Gerstlauer Infinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe there will be some truth to it. “Top” could simply mean that it’s taller than SV. I’d like to see a Gerstlauer Infinity.

it's a Top Spin to replace the Enterprise they removed!

After sitting back and really thinking about Cedarpoint’s current portfolio of attractions and the way Cedarfair is expanding in the Sandusky area, I firmly believe the next significant addition will be a pier out into Lake Erie, similar to Santa Monica Pier. This was further confirmed from new construction images of sand being move around wicked twister, the rumors of WT being removed, as well as the park GM recently staying change is needed. I believe this is the start of CP expanding beyond the peninsula and further into Sandusky.

The beachfront remodeling has always been a priority of Matt O from CF and I think he envisions an atmosphere similar to the SoCal experience at Knott’s along with a pier that brings a Cali type vibe to the place. There will be a geurstlauer type coaster on the pier as well as a completely new midway, allowing the area around Maxair to re-develop.

2020, the year CP will break from it’s peninsula.

Prove me wrong fellas

I've posted somewhere that it would be nice if they would build a pier out on the beach side with more rides. Could we see that in 2020? No. If that were the case someone would have found some kind of permits or town/county meetings would have been held at minimum. Not sure full process to build out into the lake, but there are government agencies (state & federal) that would have to approve something like that (making it public record somewhere). Construction on something like that would have started well before now also (for a 2020 opening). Announced in 2020? Maybe, if that's even something they are interested in doing.