TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I am glad Copperhead Strike will operate during Winterfest next year. I think I read somewhere that Cedar Fair specifically requested that it be able to operate in colder temperatures, which I'm sure wasn't a problem for Mack since Helix and Blue Fire likely operate in temperatures much colder than the Carolinas experience anyway.

I think I read somewhere that Cedar Fair specifically requested that it be able to operate in colder temperatures, which I'm sure wasn't a problem for Mack since Helix and Blue Fire likely operate in temperatures much colder than the Carolinas experience anyway.

Carowinds starts everything at or below 40 degrees anyway and they usually seem to keep the rides running even if it dips below that temperature later. Every coaster in the park has the ability to operate the majority of the time for Winterfest given the seasonal averages even if they do decide to follow their existing guidelines. They don't run the coasters because they don't want to run them. I've heard this rumor too but this supposed request seems mostly unnecessary.

That said, I'm glad they're running Copperhead Strike. Hopefully they don't pull a BGW and swap something out (like Afterburn).

^ I can see that happening since it is on a dead end and it wasn't much (if anything) back there.

Due to the ride lines, its painfully obvious that they need something to spread the crowds out of the lines. Upon reflecting back, I think all the flat rides were actually open. With the demographic of the crowd I saw, I don't know if even opening up some more coasters would even help since I saw more families with kids who weren't tall enough for some of them (the coasters).

How are the coaster lines at the parks that have them open vs the flat ride lines?

I think getting a head start on putting up lights is one thing during haunt since when they're off they're not really noticeable especially in the dark but giant ornaments, trees, wreathes I mean doesn't really look great next to things themed to death and horror

but giant ornaments, trees, wreathes I mean doesn't really look great next to things themed to death and horror

They have made it abundantly clear that they don't care, didn't they put a skull on the big pixel-mapped tree or something last year?

Also, it was more of a general observation that wasn't just about Carowinds. Six Flags doesn't seem to be doing it either and we KNOW they don't care. I'm sure there's a reason for it but it seems weird to me since Haunt is such a cash cow.

Edit: Yeah, this picture was taken during Scarowinds (source: Carowinds Connection).

Boo%20Blasters.jpg

^^ I only noticed the lights on Windseeker because my daughter's friend asked why it wasn't running. I guess I missed the rest of the Christmas decorations because we had our coaster blinders on.

Can't wait for March 23rd to get on Copperhead Strike.

The 2019 operating hours are now up! https://www.carowinds.com/explore/calendar-and-hours

Awesome, thanks for posting. Looking forward to my annual May visit!

Hmmm Water park looks to remain with the 6 or 5pm closing in August and Septemeber instead of the 7pm closings of yesteryears. Also no full week of operations during Winterfest this year, however looks like they will open at 4 instead of 5 on Sundays this season and the 2pm openings will remain on Saturdays. I'm cool with.

The 2019 operating hours are now up! https://www.carowinds.com/explore/calendar-and-hours

Awesome, thanks for posting. Looking forward to my annual May visit!

Hmmm Water park looks to remain with the 6 or 5pm closing in August and Septemeber instead of the 7pm closings of yesteryears. Also no full week of operations during Winterfest this year, however looks like they will open at 4 instead of 5 on Sundays this season and the 2pm openings will remain on Saturdays. I'm cool with.

I think the calendar is subject to change. Especially in regards to ERT. The current calendar shows ERT for Fury 325 as 3 weekend days in August only. It was the same way last year and wasn't updated until closer to opening day, IIRC.

Also no full week of operations during Winterfest this year

I think that's mostly just because of how Christmas falls this year. They went to daily operations for the week leading up to Christmas last year and they still basically do, daily ops just started a few days earlier last year because of where the weekend fell.

At least that's how I'm seeing it...

The local schools (Charlotte-Meck anyway) last day before Winter Break is Friday Dec 20th. That's the main reason there isn't a full week during Winterfest. I'm actually surprised they are open on the 19th because of that.

char-meckcalendar12-2019.JPG.6e89d9c36a562d72bb4bf456cb7fd516.JPG

Great timing with the calendar coming out. I have a "milestone" birthday in April and was looking for something to do. (Hint: It's between 30 and 50.) I noticed that they are open a full week in April that just so happens to coincide with my birthday. How convenient! Maybe too convenient. I can only assume that the reason is that is spring break in the area.

So without asking for an accurate prediction, in the past has that spring break week an "OMG stay the F away" type week, or is it decent crowd but typically been manageable?

(Asking for a friend)

Edited by operative_me

Great timing with the calendar coming out. I have a "milestone" birthday in April and was looking for something to do. (Hint: It's between 30 and 50.) I noticed that they are open a full week in April that just so happens to coincide with my birthday. How convenient! Maybe too convenient. I can only assume that the reason is that is spring break in the area.

So without asking for an accurate prediction, in the past has that spring break week an "OMG stay the F away" type week, or does it decent crowd but typically been manageable?

(Asking for a friend)

It's somewhere in the middle. If the weather looks great? It's going to be busy, but still doable. If the forecast calls for rain? Could be dead, even if a drop never falls. Weekdays, specifically Tues & Wed, will be least crowded (in great weather).

Cool, thanks for the response. I typically plan my trips for Mon-Wed and hope for smaller crowds, but I know it's not a guarantee. I just don't want to drive down from Cleveland and it's like a CP Halloweekends Saturday.

As for the weather, can't control that, I just hope for the best.

With the demographic of the crowd I saw, I don't know if even opening up some more coasters would even help since I saw more families with kids who weren't tall enough for some of them (the coasters).

How are the coaster lines at the parks that have them open vs the flat ride lines?

While generally the demographics of these events do shift towards families, coasters are still popular. Family ride lines are disproportionately high but Afterburn was still pulling hour waits daily with 2 trains and that tells you all you need to know. Around the country, Great Adventure's coasters are often station wait during Christmas but on busy days they can get a line. Nitro actually hit 100 minutes on closing weekend of Holiday in the Park this year. Great America often had decent waits too. Raging Bull was pulling crazy waits quite often.

As far as Carowinds goes, I feel like opening a family coaster like Goldrusher would be a really obvious move for them. It's a Cedar Fair park so it has a ridiculous height requirement but it's still a family ride with good capacity (compared to a flat ride). As an added bonus it has a low temperature limit.

Cool, thanks for the response. I typically plan my trips for Mon-Wed and hope for smaller crowds, but I know it's not a guarantee. I just don't want to drive down from Cleveland and it's like a CP Halloweekends Saturday.

As for the weather, can't control that, I just hope for the best.

Oh it won't be anything like CP crowds. Copperhead Strike will likely have the longest line of the day (since it's new). I would just suggest getting there before the park opens (to park and get in line to get in) in order to get a head start on some of the rides.