The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 14 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bonafide Donkey Expert

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby joelwee » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm

^What Canobie Coaster said. I once waited in a 3-hour line for X2 during one-train ops. (I was with some friends who wanted to ride.) It was a miserable wait, but worth it once we finally got to ride.
I haven't ridden X2 since before Fright Fest, so I don't know if the 2nd train is back up and running yet.
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:I guess that originally X2 ran with three trains, and they made use of the unload and load stations. While I imagine that they helped capacity, three train ops must be long gone by now.

Original X was designed to run 3 trains, but since there were so many issues with the trains, they typically only ran 1 or 2, so the separate load and unload stations didn't help. When it became X2, the park bought 3 trains, but designed the ride to only run 2 at a time while the 3rd one undergoes maintenance. Right now, the third train's chassis is sitting on the ground next to Viper's lift hill.
Seat, don't fail me now!

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:20 am

joelwee wrote:^What Canobie Coaster said. I once waited in a 3-hour line for X2 during one-train ops. (I was with some friends who wanted to ride.) It was a miserable wait, but worth it once we finally got to ride.
I haven't ridden X2 since before Fright Fest, so I don't know if the 2nd train is back up and running yet.
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:I guess that originally X2 ran with three trains, and they made use of the unload and load stations. While I imagine that they helped capacity, three train ops must be long gone by now.

Original X was designed to run 3 trains, but since there were so many issues with the trains, they typically only ran 1 or 2, so the separate load and unload stations didn't help. When it became X2, the park bought 3 trains, but designed the ride to only run 2 at a time while the 3rd one undergoes maintenance. Right now, the third train's chassis is sitting on the ground next to Viper's lift hill.

If Six Flags really cared about maxing capacity, and was willing to spend a little extra on trains, I think that a tandem loading station with four train ops would be a great way to push more people through. They'd had to add another block in front of the lifthill to hold the second train before enough space cleared for it to go without getting stuck at the top of the chain. You'd have to sit stacked for some time, but it would be a way to get 64 people out every time you get people in and out, checked the restraint, and cleared them for dispatch instead of 32. Also, guaranteeing that every empty seat is filled is a must too -- and a single rider line could help with that as well.

Short of that, I think its smart to carry a 3rd train for maintenance. It seems like most parks only keep the trains that they're going to run on the coaster at max capacity, and I've always thought that it makes sense to keep a spare -- and not just for parts.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby garminkid » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 am

Thank you for all these great points, and I've pretty much decided I'll go to X2 first (will be my 100th roller coaster). This last question may be stupid, but at rope drop, do people run/sprint or walk? I'm used to doing the Running of the Bulls to Steel Vengeance everytime Cedar Point opens for early entry. I always get the first train of the day. I'm just wondering if I'll have to run to X2 or not.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby ryder » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 am

There's a few sprinters, but probably not as many as there would be for SV at CP. You should be fine power walking. Do keep in mind some memberships get let into the park 10 minutes early.

But if you're making X2 your first ride of the day, be warned very often it is not ready to open with the park. You may walk up there right at park opening and find the gates close and be told it isn't open yet. It's fairly typical for it to take an extra 30-45 minutes longer to open.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Big Sexy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:39 am

Typically is x2 the only ride that does not open with the park? Also does all rides except x2 have bins for a small bag and drink cups? One last thing for flash pass even if we buy online do we have to wait in the flash pass line to get it or is there a seperate entrance for those that prepaid to puck up your flash pass.

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am

Remember, ropedrop isn't the same at SFMM compared to other parks like Cedar Point or a Disney park. If you're below a certain membership level, you must use the regular gates, and then they pretty much start taking tickets and letting those people in right at the advertised opening time, maybe a little before. You only get in early (with almost no line) if you're above a certain membership level. And as is the case with the main attraction, if you're not in the initial wave ropedrop, there's not much of a line savings, because everybody else will go there before you.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 am

Big Sexy wrote:Also does all rides except x2 have bins for a small bag and drink cups?

Yes, all rides besides X2 have a place to put your stuff - and by that, I mean they let you put your stuff on the floor somewhere in the station. Some rides (TC, Viper, Tatsu, Revolution, Superman, YOLOcoaster) have bins, and TC has zipper pouches on the trains where you can put your phone.
Seat, don't fail me now!

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:36 pm

Hasn't been mentioned, but I'd also consider Tatsu for a "ropedrop" ride. It tends to have the second longest/slowest line in my experience (behind X2). As mentioned before, other than increased chance of dueling early in the day, the TC line is never that bad since it has the best ops and three trains.
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby SFMMFan76 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:12 am

Does anyone happen to know if Diamond Elite membership holders can still get unlimted friends in with 50% off tickets. I remember you could last year, but the only thing I can find under My Rewards / Coupons is a one time use get a friend in for 50% off until the end of January. Can anyone confirm this change?

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:42 am

The park is closed for today. Man they are jumping on every little bit of rain they can to keep people from coming to use their dining pass!

PreviousNext