TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Hey guys!

Just letting you know job applications are now up for Ride Operations at Cedar Point. Going to Cedar Point and getting away from my hometown for a while was the best learning experience I have ever had and helped me grow tremendously as a person. Housing is provided, and you get to work and ride some of the coolest rides in the world all while meeting new friends and making money!

If anyone has any questions about what it's like to work at Cedar Point, you can email me at blakelemay@yahoo.com !

You can absolutely hit everything in one day if you get Fastlane Plus. Start at Dragster if it's open because it's going to break down 150 times throughout the day and it could screw up your plans if you save it for last. Get on the first available row. It's infinitely better in the front but just get on it once so you at least got one ride in. If you care you can come back later.

This is the best advice!

FWIW, on the day before Coastermania (a Thursday) I was able to hit everything (minus Steel Vengeance, which was closed) WITHOUT Fastlane Plus. Of course, I wasn’t able to do many rerides and spent a lot of time waiting in lines, but I figured that since I had ERT coming up the next day, I’d save a few bucks by not buying FLP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another plan (if you're spending 2-2.5 days there) is to prioritize rope drop (assuming you have a Gold/Platinum pass or are a hotel guest) and make sure to close the park down each other. Do whatever you need to do in the middle of the day... possible even just go back to the hotel/Airbnb and just chill, nap, eat, get work done, etc. The bulk of the groups and crowds are there in the middle of the day, but don't bother to make rope drop or stay late. Granted, it might be cheaper to get the Fastlane than to get an extra day of lodging and burn another day of PTO. But extra time can have its luxury as well.

When my group went to CP last, SteVen was at one train ops so it was off the Fast Lane list. We stayed 2.5 days and more or less did what I suggested, but we may have bought the FL+ if it had SteVen on it.

.. possible even just go back to the hotel/Airbnb and just chill, nap, eat, get work done, etc.

Best advice ever and it's better than our usual lunch/short nap in the car. It's just one more reason why Hotel Breakers is awesome.

Was looking thru Reddit today and saw that, after years of speculation, the former Hotel Cedars is coming down. It will be interesting to see what they do with the area, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of expanded services for the marina and eliminating the blind curves on that part of the perimeter road.

Was looking thru Reddit today and saw that, after years of speculation, the former Hotel Cedars is coming down. It will be interesting to see what they do with the area, but I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of expanded services for the marina and eliminating the blind curves on that part of the perimeter road.

Thank goodness, those dorms have always been a blight on that area Im surprised they didnt remove them when Valravn was put in.

.. possible even just go back to the hotel/Airbnb and just chill, nap, eat, get work done, etc.

Best advice ever and it's better than our usual lunch/short nap in the car. It's just one more reason why Hotel Breakers is awesome.

What, you don't like the idea of taking your laptop, answering your boss's emails, responding to clients, and getting a head start on some work during the day?

What, you don't like the idea of taking your laptop, answering your boss's emails, responding to clients, and getting a head start on some work during the day?

Damn. You sound like my wife. I'd still have to take care of all of that after the aforementioned lunch and nap. Basically, I'd have about three hours in the park in the morning and three at night...

Damn. You sound like my wife. I'd still have to take care of all of that after the aforementioned lunch and nap. Basically, I'd have about three hours in the park in the morning and three at night...

Personally, I have a no work policy when I leave the office. I work pretty hard and work some long hours... in my office, but I think that you create the precedent that you want to at work. If you're available 24/7 to your boss and your clients, they abuse you. If you make it clear that you do what you need to in order to get the job done, but you have 9-5 M-F hours for communication, they get the picture and never grade you down for it if you add a lot of value to them.

I'd never even think of doing work when I'm supposed to be riding coasters. But that being said, I'd just chill in the hotel/Airbnb and enjoy myself while everyone else is waiting 90 minutes for stuff I was spamming rides on a few hours before.

^ I agree. I also carry the same policy, but I am not salaried...I'm hourly.

Once I leave to go on vacation, I will bring and check my work phone daily. If there is a crisis, I call my co-workers to handle it while I'm out of the office and I do the same for them when they are on vacation. It really works well.

I deal with enough stress at work that I really need that time to unwind. I really feel for those that don't or can't do that.

I have several salaried friends that work at the corporate offices that are in that boat. I think that it's sad that they can't even go on vacations with their families without checking their email/phone every 5 minutes, or calling in for a teleconference 3-4 times a day.

But then again, they are raking in about double of what my salary is...so there is that, I suppose.

^ I agree. I also carry the same policy, but I am not salaried...I'm hourly.

Once I leave to go on vacation, I will bring and check my work phone daily. If there is a crisis, I call my co-workers to handle it while I'm out of the office and I do the same for them when they are on vacation. It really works well.

I deal with enough stress at work that I really need that time to unwind. I really feel for those that don't or can't do that.

I have several salaried friends that work at the corporate offices that are in that boat. I think that it's sad that they can't even go on vacations with their families without checking their email/phone every 5 minutes, or calling in for a teleconference 3-4 times a day.

But then again, they are raking in about double of what my salary is...so there is that, I suppose.

Completely sad. The parents spend all of their time making money and then the little kiddies spend it all. What makes me the most sick is when I see families at parks where the parents stand to the side and watch the kiddies ride what are actually pretty good rides. It should be the other way around.

Not wanting to bring my work home was one of the reasons I put in a transfer request from our detectives bureau. To stay relatively on topic, I had the opportunity to transfer to a police department where the community was much more quiet and the department was smaller. However, I found out my vacation/comp time was going to go from nearly six weeks to three weeks after five years. It all came with a small pay cut, but I work in a somewhat rough city, so it was still tempting. However, when we were at coaster campout and I was still trying to decide, I realized how much fun I was having and how little we cared about spending the extra money for two days of FL +, Fun Pix, and anything else we wanted.

In the end, I chose happiness outside of work, having more vacation and more money to spend. As a result, I stayed where I was. It also comes with less work on my days off, since a smaller department has to be more involved, with less support divisions. When I'm not at work, I don't think about work. Much of my decision was influenced by the great care free time we were having at Cedar Point. Although sometimes, I still regret the decision, when we're going from one violent call to the next on Saturday nights in the summer.

Completely sad. The parents spend all of their time making money and then the little kiddies spend it all. What makes me the most sick is when I see families at parks where the parents stand to the side and watch the kiddies ride what are actually pretty good rides. It should be the other way around.

giphy.gif

That's one of those things than within the first few seconds you think that would be a pretty cool thing to have. Shortly after, you wonder wtf you'd do with it.

Agreed. I was thinking $325 is actually pretty cheap for an old vehicle. I could see an old coaster car being used as an oddball chair in a living room, but the Enterprise vehicles would have an obstructed view while also being sort of uncomfortable.

I have no doubt someone will jump on this though.