TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

If you really wanted to do it with no car, the combination of metrolink, metro trains, and the metro 460 bus route would work.

If I'm at the point where I'd have to take a bus to connect to something else, that's where I give up and just do a car or Uber directly. I put my time in living in Boston for several years taking the T or Ubering, only using my car once every 2-3 weeks or less. Generally, if there's an adequate place to park and I'm not planning on getting stupid drunk, I jut go with the car option.

You weren't the one asking about if it is possible to do the two parks without a car though. I answered with how it is possible for the person asking...

If you really wanted to do it with no car, the combination of metrolink, metro trains, and the metro 460 bus route would work.

If I'm at the point where I'd have to take a bus to connect to something else, that's where I give up and just do a car or Uber directly. I put my time in living in Boston for several years taking the T or Ubering, only using my car once every 2-3 weeks or less. Generally, if there's an adequate place to park and I'm not planning on getting stupid drunk, I jut go with the car option.

You weren't the one asking about if it is possible to do the two parks without a car though. I answered with how it is possible for the person asking...

OK I guess it comes down to the phrasing of the question. Its possible, sure. I'm just not sure if its advisable.

Justice League (I assume that's "BFM") was open most of the day yesterday with only a brief closure and Riddler's reopened last night.

I don't know why more people don't check Queue Times, it's dorky and it's not perfect (as it relies on the parks correctly updating wait times and ride status in their respective apps) but it's such a cool resource.

Was at the park yesterday. Does anyone know what happened to Crazanity? It broke on Sunday apparently and was still closed yesterday. Riddlers and BFM were closed as well....

I was at the park last weekend, and was told Crazanity will be down for an extended period. That means maybe weeks. I saw the maintenance climbers leaving the ride, so it's something they checked up top. If you look closely, there's even a rope from the top (near the center of the ride) to the bottom. They didn't even have the lights on at night.

I'm assuming January 29 (Tuesday) would be ok to go? Kiddies all back in school and no holiday.

Yep, crowds will probably be non-existent that day.

However, the park will probably be running one train and skeleton crews on all of the coasters (two trains on Twisted Colossus). Also, since the park closes at 6:00, many of the restaurants will close around 5:00 (except Plaza Cafe in the front of the park).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is Thanksgiving week before Black Friday for crowds? I know schools are closed but the park shuts at 9 and night rides become a thing. What about mid September during the first week/weekend of Halloween events? Is it possible to ride pretty much every coaster at night that first 1am closing Saturday/11pm Sunday with a Flashpass both days (I think Saturday evening admission/Flashpasses are sold separately to day admission)?

How is Thanksgiving week before Black Friday for crowds? I know schools are closed but the park shuts at 9 and night rides become a thing. What about mid September during the first week/weekend of Halloween events? Is it possible to ride pretty much every coaster at night that first 1am closing Saturday/11pm Sunday with a Flashpass both days (I think Saturday evening admission/Flashpasses are sold separately to day admission)?

First weekend of Fright Fest was pretty dead last year. ( No pun intended). Did all the mazes and got night rides on most major rides (except Crazanity, that ride always has a crazy line) and got outta there by around 9

I rode Viper today for the first time since it's refurb, and noticed it's received the Goliath treatment. The lift chain now slows to a crawl at the very top, and the MCBR now completely stops the train instead of just trimming it. The ride still plows through the first three loops, but the back car no longer gives that catapult/whiplash effect when cresting the lift hill. I'm puzzled as to why they're completely stopping it on the MCBR, though, as the train already crawled through the heavily-trimmed second half, and now moves even more slowly.

For any park like that, Thanksgiving week will be absolutely mobbed. One of the worst weeks of the year for crowds. Mid-September is more like it. If you could go on a Tuesday or Wednesday you'll have the park to yourself (you'd have to be a pretty irresponsible parent to pull your kids from school just to a park when school has just started.

I rode Viper today for the first time since it's refurb, and noticed it's received the Goliath treatment. The lift chain now slows to a crawl at the very top, and the MCBR now completely stops the train instead of just trimming it. The ride still plows through the first three loops, but the back car no longer gives that catapult/whiplash effect when cresting the lift hill. I'm puzzled as to why they're completely stopping it on the MCBR, though, as the train already crawled through the heavily-trimmed second half, and now moves even more slowly.

That sounds like those corkscrews may give some odd hangtime like Anaconda at Kings Dominion.

^ They do, but the most awkward hangtime is in the batwing. It takes so long to get through the inversions, it gave me flashbacks of the Super Loop at SFDK. I like this kind of hangtime on lapbar-only loopers, but for the most part, I prefer quick, snappy inversions. Fortunately, Batman and Scream have that covered, and the first half of Viper is still pretty quick and forceful.

That's unfortunate. I loved the back car on Viper but this modification is a necessary evil, most likely due to excessive forces being placed on the trains and/or track structure. Happy to hear it has reopened, however.

My biggest pet peeve about Magic Mountain has always been their penchant to do this. I'll put up with removing beautiful scenery to put in new ride, but don't screw the ride up after a few years.

Ride is old. Track has already been heavily welded over the years. Anything that can reduce stress helps it survive.

Super unfortunate to hear. That back seat first drop was, one of my favorite first drops in the park. Even at its age Viper is a great ride that any park in the world would be glad to have.

But...the ride is the last of the Arrow 7 loopers...for a reason. Thankfully SFMM maintenance is legit, one of the best in the business even if they're underappreciated and understaffed. Think about Arrow Suspendeds and how well Ninja has held up, a big part of that is the Magic Mountain maintenance crew.

Viper will be going on to be 30 years old, unheard of for a coaster of its era! Not to mention one of the most reliable rides in the park, I can't remember the ride ever being down for an extended period of time beyond this last rehab. I doubt the park *wanted* to neuter it, but I also don't doubt the ride was beating the crap out of itself, daily welding for structure cracks, etc. It just was not designed to do the elements it does in the same way rides are built today.

That's pretty discouraging to hear that Twisted Colossus isn't operating on weekdays. I was planning on going on a weekday in January, but if this is the case, I'll probably try and go on a Saturday or Sunday instead.

It's worth noting that yesterday was the first slow, post-holiday weekday at the park and Twisted Colossus was operational.

I don’t post here alot but read these forums often... I was there for the first time last Wednesday specifically to ride Viper since I’ve always hated that my home park SFGADV removed the Scream Machine... anyway Viper was absolutely hauling and the MCBR barely touched the train. I absolutely loved it. Are you sure this is a permanent change?

Definitely experienced a full stop on Goliath’s MCBR which I was expecting.

I don’t post here alot but read these forums often... I was there for the first time last Wednesday specifically to ride Viper since I’ve always hated that my home park SFGADV removed the Scream Machine... anyway Viper was absolutely hauling and the MCBR barely touched the train. I absolutely loved it. Are you sure this is a permanent change?

Definitely experienced a full stop on Goliath’s MCBR which I was expecting.

In that case, it sounds like the computer adjusts the MCBR based on how fast the train is going. How were the crowds that day? The park was relatively packed on Sunday, so Viper was running full trains - which is a rarity. If you were there on a slow day, the trains would've been mostly empty and thus wouldn't be traveling as quickly when they reach the MCBR.

Either way, I'm glad you got a good ride.

Goliath's computer does whatever it wants. I've ridden it on summer days with full trains, where the MCBR just trimmed it... but in the middle of winter, it completely stops the train. I don't get it.

Goliath's computer does whatever it wants. I've ridden it on summer days with full trains, where the MCBR just trimmed it... but in the middle of winter, it completely stops the train. I don't get it.

Goliath indeed has a mind of its own. While it always heavily trims the train at the MCBR, there have been times we came to a full stop and waited a few second before releasing, and other times we never dipped below 8 mph it seems.

I need some help here. I will be going to SFMM (first Six Flags park for me) for the first time in June, and I need help with touring plans. My home park is Cedar Point (yeah be jealous), and I've been to many big coaster parks such as Kings Island, Hersheypark, Kings Dominion, Carowinds, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and Busch Gardens Tampa, so I know how to navigate most parks. The problem I'm having with is how many days to go (2 max) and what ride to ride first. My coaster count is currently sitting at 99, so the first ride I do at Magic Mountain will be my 100th roller coaster. I'm having a hard time deciding between X2 and Twisted Colossus and also what plan I should follow. I'm leaning toward Twisted Colossus because my favorite coaster is Steel Vengeance (my only RMC) and from what I've heard it's the best ride in the park. Any opinions on what I should do?

^If I was you, I’d go for X2 first. It’s line builds up quickly and it stays long all day due to painfully slow operations, so get there at rope drop and head straight for X2.

Twisted Colossus has the best ride ops in the park, so even if the line is spilling out the front of the queue, you won’t wait for more than an hour.

Also, 2 days is definitely enough to ride everything. You can do it in one day with Flash Pass, but trying to fit everything in one day during the summer without Flash Pass would be tough to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk