TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I've read that response like 8 times and I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make.

It sounds like he is saying, a 6PM closing allows SF to say customers had plenty of time to enjoy everything

Nah, I got it. My response was more of a critique on that complicated word salad.

There was new theming for 2019 at Skull Mountain today. A bat flying in the station and inside the ride area.

Oh man how did we miss this?!! We only rode The Mountain once, since it actually had a wait all day (we wound up only waiting -10 mins around 5/6ish).

The park was awesome yesterday. Was surprisingly busy for January 1st, not so surprising considering the temps during the daytime and the fact that they had a rather impressive fireworks display that it seemed everyone stayed for. We popped in Sesame on the way over so Bill could finally ride Wacky Taxi and they were pretty busy for NYD too.

In all fairness, that's really not that long of a line comparatively.

It's a long line for January 1st (and about the longest line you'll see for Nitro on most days, it's almost never back to the switchbacks even in peak season). The 100 minute line a few days prior is unheard of for Nitro outside of Fright Fest (though it is running 2 trains as opposed to 3).

As of yesterday El Diablo has been completely removed from the Rides Listings. I guess this is so long, and good riddance. I personally never had any problem with the ride, but the loss of Rolling Thunder for an extremely pointless queue and a carnival ride stung bad. Hopefully this opens up some land for a coaster in RT's spot in the coming years.

If Great Adventure opened a week or two before SFNE as they have done in past years, I'd try to make it down for opening weekend, but they open the same weekend this year. I came close to going to Great Adventure's opening day last year until they were unable to clear away the snow from earlier in the week.

It looks like not many 10:00 closings on weekdays during the summer and more 6:00 closings on weekdays in May and the beginning June. Being open on Veterans Day is also a new addition. Election Day looks like it was removed. I still think it's great they even open on those weekdays late in the season and being able to ride coasters on a Thursday in the beginning of November.

• 3 weeks later...

Six Flags Great Adventure has sent out a press release announcing Calypso Springs, the largest expansion to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in the water park's history!

DxtI0TKWoAA9vfm.thumb.jpg.042d1c5af4ea636cc3dededa4778d268.jpg

Six Flags Great Adventure, the World’s Ultimate Thrill Park, announces a second major addition for the 2019 season with the introduction of Calypso Springs. This massive activity pool is Six Flags Hurricane Harbor’s largest new attraction since the waterpark opened in 2000.

"Hurricane Harbor is an industry leader with best-in-class water slides and spectacular, interactive family attractions, and in 2019 we are excited to debut our largest new addition to date with Calypso Springs. This enormous, new pool, expansive lounge deck and dining area will offer the perfect place to enjoy signature Six Flags summertime thrills,” said Six Flags Great Adventure President John Winkler.

The key features of Calypso Springs include:

• Massive, 100,000-gallon beach entry-style pool;
  • Obelisk-style fountain with spontaneously erupting geyser;
  • Giant, open lounge deck with hundreds of chairs for sunbathing;
  • Oversized umbrellas for respite from the summer sun;
  • Charming Bimini shade covers available for rental; and
  • A new dining location.

Calypso Springs will be located between the Taak It Eez Ee Creek lazy river and Tornado water slide. It is slated to open summer 2019.

The 45-acre Hurricane Harbor waterpark also features a million-gallon wave pool, a half-mile lazy river, more than 25 high-speed thrill slides and two interactive children’s water playgrounds. All attractions are included with Hurricane Harbor park admission, Membership and Season Pass.

For more information on Hurricane Harbor, visit http://www.sixflags.com/hurricaneharbornj

Even though most enthusiasts would probably prefer new slides or a water coaster, this is the right decision for the park. Management needed something to alleviate some of the "capacity" concerns the park gets on its busiest days, and a large pool complex helps achieve that.

Now maybe a water coaster in a couple more years?

[coastertube][/coastertube]
You know that your home Six Flags opens the same weeke....

... you know what, good call. Have fun at Great Adventure.

Lol, but he can go to his home park on the 6th after work. What I'm doing.

And actually, I'll have more opportunities to go to my park this year. I rearranged my schedule so now my off days are Sunday/Monday

Six Flags Great Adventure has sent out a press release announcing Calypso Springs, the largest expansion to Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in the water park's history!

Holy shit they remembered they own a water park! $5 they're feeling the heat from the new American Dream water park finally opening this year.

I believe it is going here:

https://goo.gl/maps/M4qFyw9meus

Anyone know what was there before?

Space is much smaller than Blue Lagoon though....oh wait, King Cobra was removed right? I guess it will take up that entire area.

Holy shit they remembered they own a water park! $5 they're feeling the heat from the new American Dream water park finally opening this year.

LOL.

That would require...

1. American Dream to actually open. It won't.

2. The two parks to share a market. They don't, despite the close proximity. They're not concerned about Mountain Creek/Action Park, which is a substantially larger and bigger waterpark than whatever ends up at American Dream, either, because they don't share a market.

My understanding is that it's going largely where King Kobra (the red/white slide in that picture) was, in addition to that large open sand area, which has always been a large open sand area. They used to use that area for concerts...I remember seeing Third Eye Blind there back in like 2005.

LOL.

That would require...

1. American Dream to actually open. It won't.

2. The two parks to share a market. They don't, despite the close proximity. They're not concerned about Mountain Creek/Action Park, which is a substantially larger and bigger waterpark than whatever ends up at American Dream, either, because they don't share a market.

My understanding is that it's going largely where King Kobra (the red/white slide in that picture) was, in addition to that large open sand area, which has always been a large open sand area. They used to use that area for concerts...I remember seeing Third Eye Blind there back in like 2005.

It looks pretty damn likely that American Dream will hit their deadlines this year.

I think the parks absolutely share a market. Mountain Creek is isolated, has no nearby highways, and no transit. According to Google Maps, it is 1 hour 40 from Manhattan, vs Six Flags which is 1 hour 10 minutes. American Dream is just 16 minutes from Manhattan (obviously not at rush hour)

Never mind the whole marketing thing. Six Flags is obviously an incredibly well known brand. The Poconos water parks are less known, but do tons of ads. I have never in my life see a Mountain Creek ad.

Anyway, interesting that the sand area has never been a ride. I wonder if the new project (including seating areas) include the entire space.