TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

That sounds about right. Generally speaking it seems like Six Flags doesn't have hard cutoffs but when the rides go down mechanical for anything they consider to be temperature related they just close the rides for the night (it seems like that's New England's strategy). As a fan, that "Run them as long as you can" policy is amazing as-is but Great Adventure really takes it to the next level when even if basically every coaster goes down right around the same time when it drops to the mid 20's they actually send maintenance out to fix them even as the temperatures continue to drop.

You can't not love it.

If rain is in the forecast I would be a bit worried about Great Adventure. I have no doubt the park will run their coasters, but if others aren't willing to come out, I could see them closing early due to weather.

This is also like 5 days out so the weathermen could very easily be wrong.

Looks like a lot of rain and with our three hour drive hopefully the park stays open Saturday as we are planning on going for our first HiTP at GA ever. Can’t wait!

If the forecast holds as is, you should be fine. Heavy rain in the morning, cleaning by park open @ 1pm, afternoon looks alright, even sunny @ times, and then chance of showers in the evening after 7. Crowds might be low, but unless its totally dead when it starts raining in the evening (if it even rains), they likely won't close early. But you'll have plenty of time to get it in early in the day since lines for the coasters are never an issue @ this event.

If rain is in the forecast I would be a bit worried about Great Adventure. I have no doubt the park will run their coasters, but if others aren't willing to come out, I could see them closing early due to weather.

This is also like 5 days out so the weathermen could very easily be wrong.

I'm still shocked how many people were there when we went two weekends ago and it rained a little on and off all day. Granted it was warmer (low 60s) making the rain much easier to handle, and it definitely cleared out after sundown, but I wouldn't be so worried about the rain. It'll be a high of low 50s on Saturday, but wunderground has the rain moving out for the bulk of the operating day and moving back in later around 7.

All that said, its only Tuesday. Just get there early and get in as much as you can, which won't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Adventure to be fined over Marlboro mom's Kingda Ka nightmare

n Asbury Park Press story about the complaint of a Marlboro woman whose shoulder strap broke on the roller coaster Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure has sparked a review by the state of the ride's maintenance logs.

The Department of Community Affairs is also drafting a notice of violation against the Jackson amusement park and an order that it pay a fine for allegedly failing to notify the state of the Aug. 28 incident, said Lisa Ryan, department spokeswoman.

It faces a fine of up to $5,000.

Six Flags Great Adventure spokeswoman Kristin Fitzgerald wrote in an email that the company will continue to "work directly with the DCA to answer any additional questions they may have."

Sandra Morelli boarded the ride while her two young daughters, not tall enough to join her, stood on the sidelines with others. After she got on, the left shoulder strap "snapped off," she said.

“The only thing I could do was hold on for dear life and yell out that I love my children,” she told the Press Tuesday. The ride, billed as the world’s tallest and second-fastest roller coaster, sends park-goers on a wild trip up and down a 90-degree section of track at startling speeds.

"You’ll leave the station going from 0 to 128 miles per hour in a jaw-dropping 3.5 seconds," the Great Adventure web site reads.

Morelli complained to Great Adventure staff that night and followed up, but felt she was getting the runaround, she said.

She emailed the Department of Community Affairs about four days after the incident, Ryan said. It sent an inspector out on Sept. 6 who found nothing in the logs about the incident. But Great Adventure assigned an incident number to Morelli's complaint.

Ryan said the DCA looked into the incident again after seeing the report on APP.com posted Tuesday.

Morelli eventually got a 40 percent discount on season tickets and went back on the ride to overcome her fear. But the experience of dealing with staff after the Aug, 28 incident left her frustrated, she said.

"I felt like they tried to brush it off and they did not care," she said.

Saying she was in need of closure, Morelli created a Christmas card spoofing the incident.

PREVIOUS Marlboro mom of two turns Kingda Ka nightmare into Christmas card

In responding to Press questions, Fitzgerald said in an email the shoulder strap was not part of the restraint system and was merely for comfort. The DCA countered that, saying "the straps are made for comfort instead of padded bars, but are part of the restraint system and intended to limit unwanted movement."

Fitzgerald also said Kingda Ka was taken out of service immediately after Morelli complained to staff that night and the shoulder strap was repaired.

Morelli Friday said she felt vindicated that her complaint was now being taken seriously and the incident has triggered a review of what Six Flags Great Adventure staff discounted. But that wasn't all.

"I might add that I'm a little creeped out now that it has been confirmed that the harness is in fact part of the restraint system," she wrote in a text. "Actually a LOT creeped out."

John Winkler, president of the park, wrote to Morelli Dec. 19, apologizing for the "stressful situation and incovenience" and offered to refund what Morelli spent on the discounted season passes for 2019.

Winkler defended the system and echoed that the shoulder straps on Kingda Ka are not part of the restraint system, at odds with the DCA's statement.

Anyone care to explain to the DCA that Dragster is a thing?

Just finished a visit to HITP here, had to leave a bit early since it’s nearly 3 hours to get back home and my mom works tomorrow. Very nice event. Crowds were mostly pretty light. I personally didn’t do any HITP exclusive activities, but I got to see the brilliant light displays. While HITP wasn’t too impressive during daylight, when it became dark the park became beautiful. Didn’t take any pictures though.

I also managed to grab some credits that had eluded me in previous visits - namely Joker, Superman, Green Lantern, and Harley Quinn (which I rode mostly out of morbid curiosity of how a large-ish 20-car-long coaster rode).

I also rode for the first time Cyborg, Justice League, Twister, and the Parachute.

Some notable takeaways:

-Even running 3 cars, Joker’s dispatch rate was pitifully slow. Thankfully the line was very short, so the wait wasn’t terrible.

-You guys are right: Batman front row in the cold is awesome!

-I forget whose advice this was, but thank you to whomever recommended that Cyborg be ridden in an outer seat with minimal riders on board. That ride was quite fun, if not very short.

-Top 15% on Justice League!

-Nitro is best in the back, but the front is certainly worth a ride too for some very pleasant, graceful, and well sustained floater.

-Ride Houdini. It’s a genuinely awesome ride, even if the theme is a bit of a WTF. It is best ridden with no prior research (though do note that it actually has the same zero-tolerance loose article policy as Toro & KK, except it isn’t enforced as well, and there are free cubbies on the other end of the ride.

-The legend of skull mountain is true: I am officially joining the cult.

-Is it just me or is the Pretzel Loop on superman here superior to the one @SFGAm?

-Okay: Unpopular opinion, but: I really liked Green Lantern. In fact, I rode it twice since there was space in the back row immediately after I got off. As far as positive G’s GL was the most internse coaster I’ve ridden. Pretty much all inversions as well as most transitions were very powerful and intense. Now don’t get me wrong: it was not smooth, there was some headbanging, my calves hurt from the G’s, it was often uncomfortable, and I had to ride defensively, so I completely understand why most people hate this with a passion. That being said, I just loved the layout and intensity, and would have no problem giving it a ride next visit.

-I forget whose advice this was, but thank you to whomever recommended that Cyborg be ridden in an outer seat with minimal riders on board. That ride was quite fun, if not very short.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got a very good ride on Cyborg under these conditions. It's a shame it's unlikely to happen during the summer hours unless you rope drop it.

^ 100% correct.

I am aware the forecast is calling for rain; but hopefully it won't be bad enough to force an early closure or shut down a bunch of rides

Its not a matter of whether its raining hard enough or not for them to close, its if people show up. When we went earlier this month it rained on and off all day but people were there. If its empty they're going to close, I guarantee it.

1864389902_Screenshot_2018-12-30JacksonNJHourlyForecastWeatherUnderground.png.a241ab65fb7fa3095c450e65c659473b.png

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/us/nj/jackson/date/2018-12-31?cm_ven=localwx_hour

The forecast calls for rain all day which means no one is going to show (especially considering today was so nice - and the place was mobbed, and Tuesday also looks good, so anyone thinking of going tomorrow will just go Tuesday instead). If you drive a long distance to go to Great Adventure tomorrow you're a fool. Tuesday is the move, see yall there.

Light rain vs. a lot of people with 2 more days off, I wouldn't be so sure, they might just close a lot of stuff early and the park at 8 and sort of claim a full day.

Why would they do all that just to "claim a full day" when they can send everyone home and save a bunch of money since they're not making any anyway?

Light rain vs. a lot of people with 2 more days off, I wouldn't be so sure, they might just close a lot of stuff early and the park at 8 and sort of claim a full day.

Why would they do all that just to "claim a full day" when they can send everyone home and save a bunch of money since they're not making any anyway?

They're closing at 6, which was posted when I checked their schedule at 5:30. That's a late enough that if anyone complains they can say they were open plenty where were you?

I've read that response like 8 times and I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make.

Anyways, its already freakishly warm and all the rain has passed, as long as the wind chills the f*ck out today is shaping up to be a great season finale on Six Flags Most Explosive Coaster™!

I've read that response like 8 times and I'm still not sure what point you're trying to make.

Anyways, its already freakishly warm and all the rain has passed, as long as the wind chills the f*ck out today is shaping up to be a great season finale on Six Flags Most Explosive Coaster™!

It sounds like he is saying, a 6PM closing allows SF to say customers had plenty of time to enjoy everything