Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 814 - Firebird Media Event Trip Report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby DarkRideNick » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:09 pm

Saw on Instagram that someone met Black Panther at SFA...do ya'll think it was an official park character like Bugs Bunny or just some guest cosplaying?

Perhaps they met Batman and were confused.
Nicky Palton
:lmao: Cedar Point's #1 Fan :lmao:

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:02 am

Highridin wrote:Has anyone been seeing the hacking that is going on at multiple parks. Tell me if you see anything 'weird' in the attached pic. :lmao:

Where's "Unnecessary floorless conversion of hand-me-down coaster that should have been scrapped years ago: the Ride?"

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:13 am

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
Highridin wrote:Has anyone been seeing the hacking that is going on at multiple parks. Tell me if you see anything 'weird' in the attached pic. :lmao:

Where's "Unnecessary floorless conversion of hand-me-down coaster that should have been scrapped years ago: the Ride?"

:nina:

Seriously though. After riding Patriot, I feel like the older B&M Stand-Ups are just better off scrapped. Floorless trains turn them from a "completely sh*tty coaster" to a "this is actually kinda tolerable" coaster. I think there was a very strong case for Rougarou, but not so much for the smaller ones with uninteresting layouts.

I'm interested to see how this one turns out since it is Six Flags' first and we don't have any "real" concept imagery of the final product.
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Postby bert425 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:49 am

DarkRideNick wrote:Saw on Instagram that someone met Black Panther at SFA...do ya'll think it was an official park character like Bugs Bunny or just some guest cosplaying?

Perhaps they met Batman and were confused.

there is zero chance that it was an official park character
and only slightly better than zero chance it was a guest cosplaying (as the park isn't going to let someone in wearing a mask - not likely at Halloween, so certainly not gonna happen at Christmas).

haven't seen the picture, but *most likely*?.. one of the actors from the film was at the park, and someone took a pic?

(I don't recall seeing any DC Comics characters in the park anywhere, when I was at SFA over the summer. . but then again, Batwing was down at the time, so maybe they hang out back there near Superman/Batwing)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:56 am

Six Flags has the rights to DC characters and Black Panther is a Marvel character. I find it unlikely they'd use a Marvel character meet and greet.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Arnolds Park & Nickelodeon Universe/Mall of America

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:06 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:

:nina:

Seriously though. After riding Patriot, I feel like the older B&M Stand-Ups are just better off scrapped. Floorless trains turn them from a "completely sh*tty coaster" to a "this is actually kinda tolerable" coaster. I think there was a very strong case for Rougarou, but not so much for the smaller ones with uninteresting layouts.

I'm interested to see how this one turns out since it is Six Flags' first and we don't have any "real" concept imagery of the final product.

I just feel like there isn't enough substance in a stand-up coaster to warrant it standing alone as a floorless coaster (no pun intended). I could see a design like Riddler's Revenge having enough height, speed, intensity, and substance on the track design alone, but typically the stand-up technique itself adds so much intensity that designers have to tone down the design itself. That's really why I never thought it made sense to ride floorless on a coaster that was designed to be stand-up. I'd just scrap it and get a modern coaster with a modern design.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby SLCHeadache » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:31 am

Re: "Unnecessary Floorless Conversion", Iron Wolf -> Apocalypse -> Firebird is 980 feet longer than Vortex -> Patriot was. I think they have enough to work with for a worthwhile ride.
Top steel: Millennium Force / Steel Vengeance / Intimidator 305 / Maverick / Fury 325
Top wood: El Toro / Phoenix / GhostRider / Renegade / Flying Turns

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby RollingCoasting » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:39 pm

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:00 am

SLCHeadache wrote:Re: "Unnecessary Floorless Conversion", Iron Wolf -> Apocalypse -> Firebird is 980 feet longer than Vortex -> Patriot was. I think they have enough to work with for a worthwhile ride.

Funny, I was thinking about this on my drive to work. Obviously B&M does what they want, and doesn't really do anything revolutionary by the park's requests very often, but in the case of SFA, I was thinking it would make sense to make custom trains:

Make them two across, and eight long, but make them with lapbars -- even if there had to be a floor. I think that having a coaster like that with lapbars and panoramic views would justify the conversion. And the ride barely gets much ridership anyway, so being four across is pretty unnecessary. It will still probably be a walk-on two across. But as I was saying, this would have to be B&M spearheading it. They don't generally make custom trains at the park's requests, and they're obviously still not ready to cross the inversions with lapbars threshold... even though there's absolutely zero reason to have OTSR's on a coaster like Iron Wolf if you aren't standing up.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby MisterBrow » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:02 pm

RollingCoasting wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/abdi67/always_sucks_when_a_ride_permanently_closes_with/

A user on Reddit claims the Skycoaster is being removed

I can't remember the last time I saw someone on it.
Meister Brau just wants a path from CC to SM at SFA, meal plan burrito, some shade, and a restroom back there.

2019- Macho Nacho CHECK Restroom by Super CHECK!
New wish: New trains on ME

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!