TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 624 - New Epic Universe details, including Isle of Berk!

It appears that Universal is on the forefront of a new trend: customized cotton candy. You can pick various flavors (like vanilla, berry, and birthday cake) and then have them throw in some mix-ins (sprinkles, marshmallows, rock candy or needs). You can even have a spiral lollipop as the stick! When finished the cloud of candy is about the size of a small child.

It was super popular. Universal dedicated a whole store for it in Suess Landing and it was packed with people. I also saw lots of families posting selfies with their finished creations. It also appears to be the new thing across Orlando. A friend of mine who works at a different hotel/resort says they just started selling them this week too.

2E22DFE8-8CBB-40B2-A710-F19824324D58.thumb.jpeg.daf7128365026ddac96bf18b3b8da7f6.jpeg

7B08912B-1D90-40E5-92B4-1496B3368E4E.thumb.jpeg.043d186ff450f328aa3bb1a2193c43c8.jpeg

those cotton candy cones look amazing!

I certainly would want to take pictures with it once it's done. tho not so sure about the "flavors" or "mix-ins". . . my brain is trained to thing the different colors of cotton candy taste the same, so it would be a shock to get an actual flavor difference.

(stares forlornly at my Six Flags tub o cotton candy)

IMG_6186.thumb.JPG.4ba4107b1f31dfcda4bcb38503850aaf.JPG

Pretty sure Disney is also doing crazy new cotton candy flavors at Springs right now too.

Did some park people get inspired at IAAPA!?!?

Universal has been doing this for a while. I just tickle myself when I say the name of the venue, Honk Honkers . . .

^Those look like the ones all over Korea. I'd recommend a google of cotton candy Korea. See a couple in shopping malls, markets, and theme parks making kakao app characters or other shapes and they are always popular.

Pretty sure Disney is also doing crazy new cotton candy flavors at Springs right now too.

Did some park people get inspired at IAAPA!?!?

Universal has been doing this for a while. I just tickle myself when I say the name of the venue, Honk Honkers . . .

Yeah the Toothsome Emporium has sold alt-flavored cotton candy since, if not opening, then close to. Absinthe cotton candy was interesting!

• 4 weeks later...

For those who just can't wait for word from Universal about an expansion, this certainly bodes well. But it a timely and complicated process to get to that expansion.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange/os-me-kirkman-road-extension-big-projects-20181218-story.html

Green light for Kirkman Road extension that promises to create jobs, new developments

Orange County commissioners approved a funding agreement with the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity to extend Kirkman Road which will boost planned expansions by Universal Studios, Lockheed Martin Corp. and others.

Stephen HudakStephen HudakContact ReporterOrlando Sentinel

Orange County commissioners nudged forward a critical road project in the tourism corridor Tuesday that will boost planned expansions by Universal Studios, Lockheed Martin Corp. and the Orange County Convention Center, voting to accept a partial-funding agreement with the state to extend Kirkman Road.

The project, when finished, will add a 1.7-mile north-south artery between Carrier Drive on the north to Universal Boulevard on the south and may lead to 2,500 new high-wage jobs.

The projected cost of building the extension ranges from $250 million to $300 million, said Renzo Nastasi, Orange County’s transportation planning manager.

“There’s an awful lot of activity there and consequently a lot of traffic,” Nastasi said as he outlined the agreement for county commissioners. “Bringing the project forward will certainly benefit the area in terms of additional mobility.”

UniversalExpansion.JPG.ecfdd23c1ffbfcadcf972aaef7ee77a5.JPG

This map, created by Orange County government to show the planned Kirkman Road extension (highlighted in red), also shows some of the key attractions in the tourism corridor. The area in green shows property where Universal could build a new theme park. (Orlando Sentinel file)

The county is adding a 200,000-square-foot multipurpose venue, an 80,000-square-foot ballroom and another 60,000-square-foot meeting room at its massive convention center, which lures 1.4 million exhibitors and other visitors annually.

Lockheed Martin is adding 255,000 square feet of office space at its site, located on the west side of the extension.

The University of Central Florida College of Hospitality Management, located southeast of the proposed extension, has plans for a 50,000-square-foot building.

Universal City Development Partners, which owns and operates Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure, owns 758 developable acres on the east side of the proposed extension, enough for a theme park or two.

The company has not announced plans for the property but industry experts have speculated that Universal Orlando plans to build Nintendo-inspired attractions in a new theme park.

Nastasi described Universal’s property vaguely, calling it a “future attraction area.”

The extension, first added to the county’s long-range transportation plan a decade ago, will be funded jointly by the state, the county and Universal.

The state Department of Transportation will develop a segment beginning at Carrier Drive south to the edge of Lockheed Martin’s property. It will include a reconfigured interchange with Sand Lake Road.

As outlined by Nastasi, the state section will boast nine lanes of travel, including two separated bus lanes, bike lanes and sidewalks

Orange County’s portion runs from Lockheed Martin south to Universal Boulevard.

The county’s stretch will have a similar design to the state’s portion, including dedicated bus lanes, bike lanes and sidewalks.

“All these are subject to minor tweaks but generally speaking this is what the road is going to look like,” Nastasi said.

Could this be a future Universal park? »

Road design is expected to be finished next fall and construction should begin in the summer of 2020.

Nastasi said the county also has to forge a construction-funding agreement with Universal, which he termed “a complicated process.”

To illustrate the design of the proposed extension, Nastasi showed a video animation of traffic that featured some realistic bad driving.

The swerving, veering animated vehicles prompted Mayor Jerry Demings, formerly the county sheriff, to remark, “That’s terrible driving.”

Commissioner Betsy VanderLey quipped that she’d take the bus if the video was an accurate portrayal of driver behavior.

Earlier this year, affiliates of Universal Orlando filed infrastructure plans with the county for hundreds of acres north of Universal Boulevard and Destination Parkway.

The plans showed roadways and stormwater management for 10 parcels possibly to serve a theme park.

The $16 million in state funding is part of the Florida Job Growth Grant Fund program and could grow by an extra $13 million, said Eric Ushkowitz, economic-development administrator in the county office of Economic, Trade & Tourism Development.

He said the county has estimated the project’s partners — Universal, Lockheed Martin, the Rosen hospitality-management college and the convention center — will create 2,534 high-wage jobs that will pay an annual average of more than $51,000.

I see that the park is listed to he open til 1am on New Year's Eve. Does this mean all the rides will stay open til that time?

Also, is it likely to be crowded? I've never been to a theme park on New year's eve

It's going to be VERY crowded so keep that in mind going in. Like near-to-max crowds for the year.

I see that the park is listed to he open til 1am on New Year's Eve. Does this mean all the rides will stay open til that time?

Also, is it likely to be crowded? I've never been to a theme park on New year's eve

Rule of thumb: for these 365 day parks, pretty much any day outside of summer vacation that kiddies have off (remember to factor in the school year of all districts across the country, not just Florida's) will bring intense crowds. Over the summer, you spread it out over three months, outside of the summer, the kiddies and their parents jam their time into the weekends, holidays, and breaks. You can get some pretty good days in if you specifically plan on going days that school districts across the country are generally in school. But on holidays that virtually have district has off, you know it'll be mobbed.

These parks -- no matter who they are -- just live and die by when the kiddies are in school. Ironically, the one chain that's the most insulated by this is Disney -- as they plan to have some adult friendly things, and families are so addicted that parents will actually pull their kids from school just to take Disney vacations. Regional parks rely on the group trips and field trips to fill their parks when the kiddies are in school.

• 2 weeks later...

The Universal Orlando Resort has release new details about this year's Mardi Gras at Universal Studios Florida! Check out all of the concert lineup, parade and food details below!

mardi-gras-logo-english.png.f36b034e7a022a5c25bcd5c8cf200ef2.png

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/events/mardi-gras/index.html

DwudId-WsAEFnFM.thumb.jpg.61fb547076ccd5995d7a3294e06983ca.jpg

Music’s Biggest Acts Live In Concert

You can’t have a great party without great music. On select nights of Universal Studios’ Mardi Gras, catch performances from some of the biggest names in pop, rock, country, R&B and more at the Music Plaza stage.

Check back for more talent announcements.

Seasonal Passholders are blocked out of Universal Studios Florida™ the entire day on Mardi Gras concert dates.

• Saturday, Feb. 9 - BUSH - 8:30 pm
  • Saturday, Feb. 16 - Gavin DeGraw - 8:30 pm
  • Sunday, Feb. 17 - Dan + Shay - 8:30 pm
  • Saturday, Feb. 23 - Macklemore - 8:30 pm
  • Saturday, Mar. 2 - To Be Announced - 8:30 pm
  • Saturday, Mar. 9 - Becky G - 8:30 pm
  • Sunday, Mar. 10 - Sean Paul - 8:30 pm
  • Saturday, Mar. 16 - S teve Miller Band - 8:30 pm
  • Sunday, Mar. 17 - Ziggy Marley - 8:30 pm
  • Saturday, Mar. 23 - NF - 8:30 pm
  • Sunday, Mar. 24 - Pitbull - 8:30 pm
  • Saturday, Mar. 30 - To Be Announced - 8:30 pm
  • Sunday, Mar. 31 - To Be Announced - 8:30 pm

Party Procession

Join the Parade

Gather with your fellow party animals to see our stilt walkers, dancers and street performers get in touch with their wild side amidst floats themed around creatures from the jungle, Arctic, swamp, ocean and sky. Let the good times roll as our colorful menagarie parades through the streets of Universal Studios Florida™. Confetti will fly as countless strands of beads are tossed into the crowd at this wild and wonderful evening event.

Where and When to See It

Enjoy the sights, sounds and excitement of the parade every night of Universal Orlando’s Mardi Gras.

Where To See It

A little boy sits on his father's shoulders as they both laugh while enjoying Universal Studios Orlando's Mardi Gras event.

Created Just for Kids

The Little Jester’s Parade Viewing Area located in front of the Brown Derby Hat Shop offers an unobstructed view for petite partygoers. Access is available beginning one hour before the parade starts.

A Taste of New Orleans

The French Quarter Courtyard

Open Everyday at 4 pm

Experience the real feel of The Big Easy: Universal Studios’ New York area becomes New Orleans with the addition of the French Quarter Courtyard, a space dedicated to “N’awlins Style Food and Spirits.” Sit down with sizzling Cajun food (available for purchase), enjoy the sounds of sweet Southern music, and let the good times roll.

Authentic Tunes

With a rich history of soulful performers, New Orleans is often considered to be the birthplace of true American music. Experience the city’s signature sound with performances by real Louisiana jazz, blues and zydeco bands.

• Feb. 9–17: Dirty Bourbon River Show
  • Feb. 18–27: Naughty Professor Brass Band
  • Feb. 28–Mar. 18: Free Agents Brass Band featuring Honey Bannister
  • Mar. 19–Apr. 4: New Breed Brass Band

True Cajun Cuisine

We’re cooking up some of the bayou’s best dishes to give you an authentic taste of New Orleans fare, available for purchase. Enjoy jambalaya, beignets and more in tasting sizes so you can sample a variety of Cajun and Creole cuisine.

Edited by jedimaster1227

Construction walls have gone up in the Triceratops Encounter area of Jurassic Park at Islands of Adventure. Will be interesting to see if this turns out to be the thrilling rollercoaster that has been rumored to fill the void left by Dragon Challenge.

In another interesting note, Screamscape reported that Universal has filed a trademark for "Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous". It is unclear if this is for the Orlando park or one of the overseas parks, however (as the Jurassic World franchises have performed really well worldwide). It could become the updated version of the present Camp Jurassic. A popular rumor is that Jurassic Park won't see the overhaul that Hollywood is seeing and, instead, Jurassic World may just go in the rumored future park. Guess we just have to ride the rumors out and see what comes. Just no overuse of video screens, please?

Construction walls have gone up in the Triceratops Encounter area of Jurassic Park at Islands of Adventure. Will be interesting to see if this turns out to be the thrilling rollercoaster that has been rumored to fill the void left by Dragon Challenge.

In another interesting note, Screamscape reported that Universal has filed a trademark for "Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous". It is unclear if this is for the Orlando park or one of the overseas parks, however (as the Jurassic World franchises have performed really well worldwide). It could become the updated version of the present Camp Jurassic. A popular rumor is that Jurassic Park won't see the overhaul that Hollywood is seeing and, instead, Jurassic World may just go in the rumored future park. Guess we just have to ride the rumors out and see what comes. Just no overuse of video screens, please?

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/new-jurassic-park-roller-coaster-headed-to-islands-of-adventure-documents-show/906446496

Here's some more info that was released today.

Initially I was thinking the same thing but I guess the prevailing rumor seems to be an Intamin launcher (though I haven't been following this closely enough to know where the rumor came from or how credible it is). There's also an absolutely spectacular flying coaster like 5 miles away which probably makes it less of a novelty but I don't know if Universal necessarily cares.

The artist formerly known as "the park with lots of screen attractions" will now be known as "the park with lots of launched coasters".

Kidding, of course. I saw someone do a "prediction" of the layout in NoLimits 2 and they came up with something like Linnanmaki's upcoming Taiga coaster, which looks wicked fun. I loathe thinking about what the wait times will be for a brand-new short train launched coaster though.