TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I got a Cedar Point/Kings Island vacation for XMAS in July. I've been to KI before in 2010, but I haven't ever been to CP. If we get there at opening and I get a Fast Lane Plus is one day enough to do the coasters? That's my biggest concern is at least a ride on each, hopefully a few on my favorites.

It took me 2+ days to hit everything on my 1st visit (with a very light crowd on the 1st day that we didn't even need fastlane).

but, and this is key, I wanted to ride *everything* other than the 2 water rides.

so if you only focus on coasters? yeah, you likely COULD do it in one day (assuming all coasters are up and running. . and remember, several of the CP coasters are notoriously finicky and likely will be up and down all day). . . but why would you want to? take your time, enjoy the park, eat lunch at Melt, see the boardwalk, and ride some of the flats (especially Cedar Downs, which is my favorite flat there).

It took me 2+ days to hit everything on my 1st visit (with a very light crowd on the 1st day that we didn't even need fastlane).

but, and this is key, I wanted to ride *everything* other than the 2 water rides.

so if you only focus on coasters? yeah, you likely COULD do it in one day (assuming all coasters are up and running. . and remember, several of the CP coasters are notoriously finicky and likely will be up and down all day). . . but why would you want to? take your time, enjoy the park, eat lunch at Melt, see the boardwalk, and ride some of the flats (especially Cedar Downs, which is my favorite flat there).

Oh I know, I'm trying to persuade at least a day and half day there, but the trip is 1 day Cedar Point, 1 Day Cleveland, Driving to Mason, 1 day at Kings Island, 1 day in Cinci and then leaving. I'm going with family so I don't have full control, that's why I'm trying to make the coasters at Cedar Point 100% priority with Fast Lane Plus and the rest is just bonus. I've been to KI back in 2010 so I'll probably still splurge for FLP there, but it'll be way more manageable knowing I've been on most things there.

Yes, with Fast Lane Plus, you can do all the coasters at least once, regardless of which day you visit. I will echo others in HIGHLY recommending more than one day, but if that's all you have, get the Fast Lane Plus and have a great day. Don't forget the train, skyride, Cedar Downs, MaxAir, and Screamin' Swing. Do not miss those flats. Everything else is just whatever you feel like doing.

Oh yeah, thanks for relieving my overthinking. Those rides are definitely 100% must dos. My main focus are front & back rides on the staple coasters, Cedar Downs, Train and Skyride and a few other flats. The family/mid tier coasters don't really matter to me as long as I can do them at least once.

^ Cedar Point had/has so many rides, besides the coasters, I could have spent a couple more days, than the three me and Bert did spend, back in 2017, to enjoy it all again and again.

And don't miss the Woodstock Express coaster! It's got a pretty good kick to it, for the size it is.

me1-CedarPoint-woodstock2017.jpg.eba6b07435ba4d6ac224028b97dfd7a3.jpg

My joy in Cedar Point!

Will you have early entry? That extra hour in the morning is the perfect time to marathon Millennium Force in the front row now that everyone runs off towards Steel Vengeance. Even with FastLane, it can take a while to get on Millennium's front row (15 minute queue to the station plus 20-30 extra minutes for the front).

To answer the question regarding if you can get everything in at CP in one day:

The problem with only one day at Cedar Point is just how crowded the park can get in the middle of the day... even when its considered "dead" for CP standards. The ride ops at CP are amazing and the park is pretty high capacity, but due to the park's popularity and its limited operating season, no matter when you go, you might be facing hour lines for the coasters easily visible from the front of the park midday, and Steel Vengeance will always have a line for the foreseeable future (unless you're incredibly lucky or an immaculate planner).

In light of this, I recommend going to CP multiple days, and to maximize the beginning of the day, and the end of the day... you can go back to your hotel in the middle of the day or hang out on the beach in the middle of the day if you want. More days gives you more ropedrops, and more evening/night rides. As I was saying before, unless you're an immaculate planner or incredibly lucky, the only way to ride SteVen without a long line is making rope drop. So you want to get your ride in on SteVen for rope drop once a day. Then you can get walk-ons on Maverick and MF. And, you'll want to get Raptor, Valravn, and Wingkeeper in outside of midday.

Just my two cents. Also, most of the flat rides and non-coaster rides are pretty generic and what you see at any amusement park. If you're in a time crunch you probably don't need to ride them if you have a home park that you go to regularly or you go to a lot of parks. Ride those those generic flat rides at parks where your time isn't as valuable.

I actually think Cedar Point has a really strong flat lineup.

Windseeker (when it actually operates) has a breathtaking view over the water. Both Skyhawk and MaXair have some great airtime. And the Cedar Downs Racing Derby is very rare. However in one day, I would prioritize coasters over these rides.

Depending on how far you are coming from, and if this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to go to CP, you really want 1.5-2 days. Which leads me to ask... what are you spending a day in Cleveland for?

I live in Cleveland, it's ok I guess. I guess some people come here for the rock hall. Um... that's it? Spend a half day in Cleveland and the drive down to Mason!

(This is sort of tongue-in-cheek, I know you are travelling with family and may not get to call all of the shots.)

Dude asked if he could do all of the coasters at CP in one day and explained how he didn't have control. His responses were, "Do more than one day." Don't make him be pushy with his family who has gifted him with this great opportunity. He should be grateful.

My response to the question at hand is that one day at Cedar Point should be a blast with Fast Lane Plus. I think you'll be able to do almost everything you want to do. I'd personally skip Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Cork Screw. If you find yourself really enjoying a coaster then ride it again right away. Cedar Point is massive, so if you decide you want to ride Gatekeeper after Magnum you're going to eat up a big chunk of walking him. Make your way around the park hitting everything in close proximity and try not to bounce from one side of the park to the next.

Try not to feel too obligated to squeeze everything in and just focus on having a good time. The last thing you want to do is give yourself any kind of stress during a day at an awesome place like Cedar Point.

Dude asked if he could do all of the coasters at CP in one day and explained how he didn't have control. His responses were, "Do more than one day." Don't make him be pushy with his family who has gifted him with this great opportunity. He should be grateful.

My response to the question at hand is that one day at Cedar Point should be a blast with Fast Lane Plus. I think you'll be able to do almost everything you want to do. I'd personally skip Cedar Creek Mine Ride and Cork Screw. If you find yourself really enjoying a coaster then ride it again right away. Cedar Point is massive, so if you decide you want to ride Gatekeeper after Magnum you're going to eat up a big chunk of walking him. Make your way around the park hitting everything in close proximity and try not to bounce from one side of the park to the next.

Try not to feel too obligated to squeeze everything in and just focus on having a good time. The last thing you want to do is give yourself any kind of stress during a day at an awesome place like Cedar Point.

actually, if you read them closely, you'd note the 1st two answers to him (mine and ytterbiumanalyst's) both said : you COULD do all the coasters in 1 day, but the park is worth longer than that and you should spend more time if you can.

just sayin

This weeks "where in the park is this"?

Pah, I'm pretty sure I saw this sign.. But i can't recall which one it ist.

But I'll have a wikd guess: Tiki Twirl?

Makes me crazy.. Knowing to have seen it.. But not knowing exactly where.

Its a fair question. If more than one day was completely out of the question, he wouldn't have asked. My two cents is that you want more than one day, and much of that is because I prefer maxing the mornings and evenings/nights. If you really enjoy coasters, even with FP+ you might as well take advantage of the park with the best roller coasters in the world an extra day. I'd say if you get a FP+ on day #1, just do ropedrop on day #2, and be on your way once the crowds start getting intense.

You can absolutely hit everything in one day if you get Fastlane Plus. Start at Dragster if it's open because it's going to break down 150 times throughout the day and it could screw up your plans if you save it for last. Get on the first available row. It's infinitely better in the front but just get on it once so you at least got one ride in. If you care you can come back later.

Alternately you could hit Iron Dragon first since it doesn't have Fastlane but even a full queue isn't that bad (especially not if you hit up the "Dive In" for a beer before popping in line).

Since you noted that you want to ride Sky Ride (excellent choice by the way ), my biggest tip is not to be spooked by a full queue. It moves really fast. That said, riding from the front of the park the last few hours of the night guarantees a walk-on and even with Fastlane I suggest hitting the main midway later since you won't even need to wait from the merge points on Raptor, Gatekeeper and Wicked Twister. You'll basically walk right on.

Ride the train from Frontiertown... it's much better than riding from the other station.

You can absolutely hit everything in one day if you get Fastlane Plus. Start at Dragster if it's open because it's going to break down 150 times throughout the day and it could screw up your plans if you save it for last. Get on the first available row. It's infinitely better in the front but just get on it once so you at least got one ride in. If you care you can come back later.

Alternately you could hit Iron Dragon first since it doesn't have Fastlane but even a full queue isn't that bad (especially not if you hit up the "Dive In" for a beer before popping in line).

Since you noted that you want to ride Sky Ride (excellent choice by the way ), my biggest tip is not to be spooked by a full queue. It moves really fast. That said, riding from the front of the park the last few hours of the night guarantees a walk-on and even with Fastlane I suggest hitting the main midway later since you won't even need to wait from the merge points on Raptor, Gatekeeper and Wicked Twister. You'll basically walk right on.

Ride the train from Frontiertown... it's much better than riding from the other station.

All good points. Another point to piggyback on your advice about TTD:

If you go in the morning, there's a chance that you might get a ride when its foggy/cloudy. So basically, when you go up the tophat, you're basically riding in the clouds. I had that experience the last time I went.

There's also a lot of game theory and strategy about how to best max your chance of getting a rollback. There's a YouTube video that goes into detail on this. But it basically has to do going in conditions that would make the train slower, but not so obvious that they plan to make the launch faster to get you over. So if this theory is true, an early AM ride might not max your chances of a rollback compared to other times of the day.