Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Hersheypark Opening Day- Skyrush & 2019's Temporary Entrance
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:08 am

SFDK is definitely flawed, but it does have potential if they can improve their operations (really they can only go up). I still enjoued myself despite these issues, but it could have been better.

As for Joker, I have no clue why this one supposedly breaks down as often as it does. At least it runs more than V2. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure Opening Day & Hersheypark Opening Day

Postby bert425 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:33 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:It wasn't dead silent since the park had audio playing well past closing along the midways, but it was still odd not having the music radiate from the Carousel.

Dead silent carousels feel like a zombie apocalypse, so maybe they should be used during Halloween events. :lol:

I've ridden to worse, but yeah. . . zombie carousel!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:46 am

glad to hear the Six Flags day ended well with the back to back Joker rides.

I am super curious on Harley tho, and certainly would try the skywarp just to experience it :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:05 pm

^ Joker alone was worth putting up with all the hassle. I really liked that coaster.

I said the same thing about Harley Quinn. The ride is so spectacularly bad that it'll fail to meet even the lowest expectations.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Fury 325, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler
Most Recent Trip Reports- Six Flags Great Adventure Opening Day & Hersheypark Opening Day

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:16 pm

San Francisco

WARNING- There are no coasters in this update. Don't say I didn't warn you.

It almost seems wrong to end my 2018 reports with a non-coaster related update. For many, this will be like the last five minutes of an action movie. You've just had the epic battle where the villain is thwarted, but they have that heartwarming scene where all the heroes hug, kiss, and sing kumbaya.

But for those who care, here's a mini report of my favorite US city to walk around, San Francisco.

Last time I was in San Francisco, I was an intern entirely reliant on public transit. This time, we had a car. Anyone who has driven through a major city knows just how costly and frustrating it can be to have a car. You crawl through gridlock in search of street parking or a lot that doesn't cost $40-50. But amazingly, street parking was abundant.

The one lot we parked in was the Battery East Lot by the Golden Gate and it was a very affordable $1.20 per hour. That's an absolute steal to see one of the nation's most iconic landmarks. The bridge itself is incredible, but when you add in the mountain backdrop and surfers underneath, it's really an unfair standard for other landmarks like Plymouth Rock, which I grew up 20 minutes from and thought wasn't worth the drive.

Golden Gate 1.jpg
Any photo of the Golden Gate looks fit for a postcard.

Golden Gate 2.jpg
The surfers looked far more coordinated than me on a flow rider.

Not only did we walk (most of) the Golden Gate Bridge, but we also drove across it. I was stunned there was no toll heading north. As I found out later, San Francisco is one of those cities that only charges you to enter. It gives people from Oakland something to strive for I guess. :lol: But the reason we went north was to reach Muir Woods.

I'm ashamed to say this, but I spent an entire summer in California but never once visited the redwoods. Meanwhile I concocted a 4.5 hour public transit route to reach Six Flags Discovery Kingdom using 3 buses and the subway. Priorities. But this time, we made sure to prioritize the redwoods. And they did not disappoint.

There are two types of redwoods: giant sequoias and coastals. The former are the super wide ones and a solid 4-5 hour drive from either San Francisco or LA. The latter are the Shawn Bradley of the tree world standing almost 300 feet tall. And while they aren't as thick as the sequoias, they're still far thicker than anything I'll find back east.

Muir Woods Entrance.jpg
The redwoods did not disappoint.

Muir Redwoods.jpg
Myself included for scale.

Muir Woods was the main course, but we also whet our appetite the day before in Palo Alto. The primary reason for our stop was because my girlfriend wanted to try the much publicized Sushirrito. I preferred to try something cooked like a normal burrito, but she said it was delicious and her favorite thing about the entire trip.

The auxiliary benefit of visiting Palo Alto was that we could visit El Palo Alto, the tree for which the town is named. El Palo Alto isn't particularly tall for a coastal redwood at 110 ft, but it absolutely towers over the other trees in the park. We also tried to make a quick drive through Stanford University. Getting in was easy. Getting out was a royal pain since it was the last day before winter break. Oops.

El Palo Alto Park.jpg
It must be one impressive tree if the whole town is named after it.

El Palo Alto Park Tree.jpg
And compared to the normal trees around it, El Palo Alto looked colossal.

Stanford.jpg
I imagine the quad is busier when students aren't trying to get home for break.

On our last day in San Francisco, the weather was awful. During my entire summer in San Francisco, I didn't see a single drop of rain. On this day, I think the city got over an inch of rain. While it wasn't the funnest walking around, it allowed us to visit Alcatraz. With limited time, we didn't want to book Alcatraz in advance. Because of this, we assumed we'd have to skip the infamous federal penitentiary. However, we were able to walk up and board the next boat to the island. For comparison, I had to reserve an Alcatraz trip a few weeks in advance back in 2014.

Alcatraz really has an ominous feel to it. I strongly recommend the audio tour since the voices of the prisoners and guards help transport you into the prison experience.

Alcatraz.jpg
I'm sure the prisoners used to love their cruise to Alcatraz.

Alcatraz Cell.jpg
This is what a good prisoner's cell looked like.

Back on the mainland, we indulged in some truly delicious food. I love Mama's, but that place has a prohibitively long line unless you get there like a half hour before opening. I was hopeful it wouldn't be bad on such a miserable day, but sure enough there was a sizable wait. So instead we got a festive Snowman sourdough from Boudin, some award winning pizza from Tony's, addictive mini donuts from Trish's, and ice cream sundaes from Ghirardelli.

Boudin Bakery.jpg
Even though it cost more, we couldn't resist a festive loaf.

Tony's Pizza.jpg
I was one of the 263 people who helped Tony's break the Guinness World Record for people simultaneously tossing pizza dough back in 2014.

We also walked Lombard Street. To put this street in coaster speak, it's like Higashiyama's Slope Shooter in the form of a street. I made darn sure I didn't drive anywhere near this street since half the drivers are busy chronicling their adventures on Facebook Live.

Lombard Street.jpg
If the steep, windy road isn't enough, it's also cobblestone.

We ended our visit in the most touristy way possible at Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39. Neither location is the reason to visit San Francisco, but no visit is complete without going there. For die-hard ride enthusiasts, Pier 39 is your best bet. They have a carousel, one of those Triotech XD dark rides, and a flying theater. With more time, I would have ridden the latter two. Instead we spent our time bargain hunting and watching the sea lions.

Pier 39.jpg
I could watch sea lions all day.

Fisherman's Wharf.jpg
Fisherman's Wharf is everything right about a tourist trap.

San Francisco is an incredible city. Coaster enthusiasts have reason to visit the area due to two RMCs, two awesome wooden coasters, and two great B&Ms. But I can't encourage you enough to also see the Golden Gate, redwoods, and whatever the heck this art was along the streets of San Francisco. :lol:

Art.jpg
I don't quite get the vision of the artist here.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:37 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:San Francisco

There are two types of redwoods: giant sequoias and coastals. The former are the super wide ones and a solid 4-5 hour drive from either San Francisco or LA. The latter are the Shawn Bradley of the tree world standing almost 300 feet tall. And while they aren't as thick as the sequoias, they're still far thicker than anything I'll find back east.

Fun fact: the tallest redwood has been measured at 380 feet. Three hundred and eighty. It is in Tall Trees Grove in Redwood National Park. Muir Woods and other Bay Area groves are impressive but not the champions.

www.famousredwoods.com

www.redwoodhikes.com

www.mdvaden.com

www.redwood-ed.com

https://orionmagazine.org/article/a-day-of-discovery/
finding the largest redwood

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks! I'm not surprised there were taller coastal redwoods out there, but it was hard to beat the convenience of Muir Woods compared to the other stops on our trip.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:55 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Thanks! I'm not surprised there were taller coastal redwoods out there, but it was hard to beat the convenience of Muir Woods compared to the other stops on our trip.

If you go back to Santa Cruz boardwalk, there are some nice groves nearby. I recommend Big Basin, profiles at www.redwoodhikes.com It's almost as nice as the North Coast redwoods. It's further from SF than Muir Woods, but closer to Railblazer.

There are also old growth remnants in Massachusetts. I've seen a grove on Mt. Greylock on a steep slope where it was hard to cut the trees. They grow slower in the cold than coast redwoods.

Massachusetts' Mt. Greylock - Backpacker
The Hopper Trail climbs through old-growth spruce, and the Cataract Trail leads to an impressive waterfall. ELEVATION: The reservation dips to 900 feet at its southwest fringe, and tops out at 3,491 feet on Mt. Greylock.
Search domain www.backpacker.com/stories/massachusetts-mt-greylock-2 https://www.backpacker.com/stories/massachusetts-mt-greylock-2

National Natural Landmarks - National Natural Landmarks (U.S ...
The Mt. Greylock Old Growth Spruce site contains potentially virgin, pure stands of old-growth red spruce. Occurring on the steep, northwest slopes of Mt. Greylock, the highest mountain in Massachusetts, they are the only old-growth, red spruce stands known to occur in southern New England.
Search domain www.nps.gov/subjects/nnlandmarks/site.htm?Site=MTGR-MA https://www.nps.gov/subjects/nnlandmarks/site.htm?Site=MTGR-MA

Postby coasterbill » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:10 am

Great report!

That's a shame about Holiday in the Park at Discovery Kingdom. Most of the events do a great job with the lights so I don't know what's going on out there.

And yeah, San Francisco is great.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby hoppedup » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:19 am

Great report!

Taking a couple of days off from coasters and doing touristy stuff definitely made our last trip better. Can't wait for our California tour in 2020.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!