TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

If it rides anything like the other Gravity Group small woodies, this will undoubtedly be more popular than Thunder Run. The Timberliners give a smooth and airtime filles ride in every seat.

I actually liked Thunder Run too. Thought that it was pretty smooth. Only dead-weight in the park IMO is T3, it went from being a headbanger to a thighcrush with the new restraints. Lightning Run and Storm Chaser are both top 20 steel for me.

• 4 weeks later...
^Not gonna lie... that white with red looks seeexy.

Also, can more park invest in these family GG woodies? MIA, Dorney? Please? Thanks!

Give it some time. Maybe it'll happen. Woodies are becoming less popular to buy in general. Parks can save money with the steel coasters, and the GP doesn't really seem to care about the difference that much. Parks might have 1-2 just to check the boxes off, but if they're bigger parks they'll probably want a bigger wooden coaster. Hence why these small woodies have been going to smaller parks.

Woodies are becoming less popular to buy in general..

Funny, the numbers tell a different story. According to RCDB the amount of woodies built each year over the last 15 years:

2004 - 5

2005 - 1

2006 - 4

2007 - 6

2008 - 5

2009 - 5

2010 - 2

2011 - 5

2012 - 2

2013 - 5

2014 - 3

2015 - 5

2016 - 6

2017 - 7

2018 - 4

I guess it depends where you're looking at. The steelies and unique ones (i.e. RMC hybrids) hog most of the limelight, and new "box car" woodies are practically phasing out.

Some recent ones that came to my mind are compact (Mine Blower, White Lightning, Kentucky Flyer), and others were even weird "almost-but-not-technically-hybrid" things (Outlaw Run, Lightning Rod, Goliath).

Upon checking RCDB mid-typing this, I left out GCI's (Mystic Timbers, Gold Striker).

MIA, Dorney? Please?

tenor.gif

Yeaaaa.. the likelihood of either of those two parks getting one are low. But assuming with the low cost of these smaller GG woodies ya think if those two (or similar) parks would consider new coasters anytime in the next decade or 3 these rides would be legitimate candidates.

MIA, Dorney? Please?

tenor.gif

Yeaaaa.. the likelihood of either of those two parks getting one are low. But assuming with the low cost of these smaller GG woodies ya think if those two (or similar) parks would consider new coasters anytime in the next decade or 3 these rides would be legitimate candidates.

MIA already has 3 wood coasters. One being a junior woodie called Zachs Zoomer. Dorney on the other hand could use a solid wood coaster. I would love to see a mind blower type ride at that park. But considering Cedar Fairs love affair with GCI it would most likely not be a gravity group.

Personally I'd like to see KK next coaster be a launched coaster

The owner of the park, Ed Hart, has said on multiple occasions he doesn't like launched coasters because it kills the anticipation of going up a lift hill

The owner of the park, Ed Hart, has said on multiple occasions he doesn't like launched coasters because it kills the anticipation of going up a lift hill

Now that you mentioned it, I feel like I had heard that before. That's unfortunate. One could have the argument that waiting for a launch can produce more anticipation for a coaster than a lift hill.

Not just that, but I could see them being an issue for a smaller park on a budget. They're pretty expensive, and they require a ton of maintenance. Plus, there is a lot of downtime. I think that for the purpose of KK, where the ride-up is a little more modest (in terms of numbers, NOT quality), it wouldn't be ideal to have a signature ride in your line-up that people may have traveled for that may have a lot of unexpected downtime when there aren't a lot of rides in the park beyond it.