The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

2018 Coaster Poll Coming Soon!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: The Official "TPR Coaster Poll" Thread!

Postby Skittles » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:04 am

Going back to the cloned coaster discussion, my thoughts on this are to break it up by restraints. Obviously, some cloned coasters with different restraints are going to ride better than others.

For example, we should have individual rankings for
- SLCs with the old restraints
- SLCs with the KumbaK restraints
- SLCs with the new vest restraints
- Boomerangs with Vekoma trains
- Boomerangs with Arrow trains
- Boomerangs with vest restraints (Carolina Cobra, Speed of Sound, etc.)
- Boomerangs with lap bars

You know, like that. Thoughts?
Coaster Count - 183

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:17 am

Skittles wrote:Going back to the cloned coaster discussion, my thoughts on this are to break it up by restraints. Obviously, some cloned coasters with different restraints are going to ride better than others.

That could be something added on as part of our "random stuff" info dump at the end, but regardless of which harnesses or trains are used, an SLC is an SLC and a boomerang is a boomerang. Breaking them up like that is splitting hairs, and really, is the difference between the 225th-ranked coaster and the 250th-ranked coaster that significant?

Breaking it up in that manner won't magically make Great Nor'Easter rise to the top 100.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Skittles wrote:Going back to the cloned coaster discussion, my thoughts on this are to break it up by restraints. Obviously, some cloned coasters with different restraints are going to ride better than others.

For example, we should have individual rankings for
- SLCs with the old restraints
- SLCs with the KumbaK restraints
- SLCs with the new vest restraints
- Boomerangs with Vekoma trains
- Boomerangs with Arrow trains
- Boomerangs with vest restraints (Carolina Cobra, Speed of Sound, etc.)
- Boomerangs with lap bars

You know, like that. Thoughts?

This is even more confusing. Seriously is "SLCs with the KumbaK restraints" versus "SLCs with the old restraints" really going to upset the outcome of the poll that much? Like if one gets ranked at #286 versus #312 is anyone really going to care?

I want this poll to appeal to the masses, not JUST the "out of state roller coaster weirdos."

(bonus points if you know where that reference is from.)

And the reason why I want it to appeal to the masses is this:

We've seen loads of polls out there for the "masses" where they group "top ten" roller coasters and everyone goes WTF? Including, but not limited to, the Golden Tickets.

IMO, the Mitch Hawker poll was the absolute BEST example of a coaster poll out there were it put people's ACTUAL EXPERIENCES against each other, not just a popularity contest where "the park with the best social media team who can get the most votes, wins!"

The trouble with the Hawker poll is how complex it was and it took HOURS sometimes for people to fill out a ballot.

What I want with the TPR Coaster Poll is a poll that can appeal to the "casual theme park fan" without being too daunting to use and without being a "popularity content."

Yes, the die-hard roller coaster people are going to want to rank every single coaster, every single type of coaster, every single seat on a coaster, but quite frankly, that's not what the type of community TPR is, sorry.

We have, at least for the past few years, been stressing that people focus on the "fun" of theme parks and roller coasters and worry less about counting credits and ranking them to the nth degree.

But people still ask me everywhere "what is your top ten", "What is your favorite coaster," etc. So I feel it is important to be able to produce a list of the best in the world, and of course, the worst in the world.

Do I think that list needs to include "Boomerangs with Vekoma trains" against "Boomerangs with Arrow trains?" Absoultely NOT! In fact, if it was purely up to me, I'd remove Boomerangs entirely! But like I said, I want this poll to be a good mix of what appeals to the masses and what appeals to the die hard enthusiasts.

I'd love nothing more than THOUSANDS of people to contribute ballots to the poll this year. And just being completely honest, we aren't going to get there if we have stuff like "SLCs with the KumbaK restraints" on the ballot.

Just my two cents....
Last edited by robbalvey on Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:42 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:37 pm

I won't lie, even as a coaster person I would have to Google "Which Vekoma SLCs have Kumbak restraints" to fill that out. Without cheating I would have no f*cking idea. :lol:

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 pm

coasterbill wrote:I won't lie, even as a coaster person I would have to Google "Which Vekoma SLCs have Kumbak restraints" to fill that out. :lol:

And as someone who has ridden maybe 2,000 coasters in the world (I say maybe because I stopped counting and I don't even know) and have probably ridden an SLC with Kumbak trains, I would also have to look it up because I couldn't even tell you which ones had them and which ones didn't because I simply do not give-a-shit. :lmao: :Pr

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby JG-77 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 am

A possible solution would be to give people the choice rank some examples of a large generic model (boomerange, SLC's etc) individually, and then lump the rest together into "Favorite other X" or something like that, and then when the results are tallied, all the "X"'s will be ranked in one spot, unless a lot of people chose to make a significant distinction between certain examples they've ridden vs the rest.

For example, if you've ridden 15 SLC's, and you think 14 of them are around the same level of crap, but one of them is really good comparatively, you could rank the one that's good individually, and put all the others under "fav other SLC" or some other generic SLC label. Then, when tallying the polls, if it seems that a lot of people made a distinction between that one SLC and the other ones, it may get a special spot in the poll. Does that make sense?

That may be more effort than it's worth, but it's an idea, even if it may not be a good one.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 pm

JG-77 wrote:A possible solution would be to give people the choice rank some examples of a large generic model (boomerange, SLC's etc) individually, and then lump the rest together into "Favorite other X" or something like that, and then when the results are tallied, all the "X"'s will be ranked in one spot, unless a lot of people chose to make a significant distinction between certain examples they've ridden vs the rest.

For example, if you've ridden 15 SLC's, and you think 14 of them are around the same level of crap, but one of them is really good comparatively, you could rank the one that's good individually, and put all the others under "fav other SLC" or some other generic SLC label. Then, when tallying the polls, if it seems that a lot of people made a distinction between that one SLC and the other ones, it may get a special spot in the poll. Does that make sense?

That may be more effort than it's worth, but it's an idea, even if it may not be a good one.

Giving people more choices doesn't make the poll less confusing or daunting. It does the opposite.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:31 pm.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:50 pm

KISS

Keep it simple stupid.

This poll is already light years ahead of any GP coaster/park poll out there, I think we just need to find that sweet spot between dumb and way too much effort and work that scares any casual person away.

Stick with favorite type and don't stress about every type of Boomerang/SLC/Zyklon/etc. cause none of them will be in the top 25 anyways!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:03 pm

SharkTums wrote:KISS

Keep it simple stupid.

This poll is already light years ahead of any GP coaster/park poll out there, I think we just need to find that sweet spot between dumb and way too much effort and work that scares any casual person away.

Stick with favorite type and don't stress about every type of Boomerang/SLC/Zyklon/etc. cause none of them will be in the top 25 anyways!

Yeah, I gotta be honest. I'm sort of at the point where if everyone wants to rank everything to the nth degree, that's not the TPR Coaster Poll and I'd rather just not do it at all.

So it either needs to be something that both the casual fan and die hard fan can both relate to, or we just table this idea, and let everyone vote in the golden tickets or USA Today polls.

I personally think we are already WAY WAAAAY better than that. Why do we need to stress over SLC's and Boomerangs by adding multiple options that a handful of people are going to care about? That just seems really silly to me.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:04 pm.

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby Skittles » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:22 pm

Sorry for contributing the confusing ideas. I think we will all be happier in the end with the "Favorite SLC" method like in the Mitch Hawker polls
Coaster Count - 183

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!