TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

Well, nice to see at least one park acknowledging the (much better) animated version...

On a serious note, this looks absolutely incredible, and cannot wait to get back out to Tokyo for it (well, there are lots of reasons to go, but this definitely seems like one of them)!

That pretty clearly looks to be Oceaneering's ride vehicle from SeaWorld's Antarctica (or a direct knock-off of it) and I had always said the ride vehicles were the best part of that terrible ride and all someone needed to do was to come along and take those vehicles and make a "decent" ride out of it.

Well, I didn't expect it would be Tokyo Disneyland that would do it, and "decent" certainly seems to be an understatement based on what we can expect from that video!

Edited by robbalvey

^ I find it neat how they've taken that (probable) ride vehicle of SeaWorld's,

and then doubled the back row of each one, and added an extra seat to the front row.

Those are biiiiiiiig "serving dishes," heh.

And in a few of the art concepts of the attraction, it also looks like they will be

dispatching them in groups of three (or 6), with six of the vehicles coming together

and "dancing" with each other, like in Pooh's Hunny Hunt dream scene in TDL.

That's 30 (or 60) people each dispatch! A record for dark ride (trackless) vehicles, yes? No?

Wonder what the numbers mean on their concept art "model" of the new areas?

Edited by Nrthwnd

^The post above was updated with what the numbers mean. Interesting that the fast pass is quite far away from the attraction compared to all the other rides in the park. Will be interesting how many people go for the main entrance vs how many people will detour to the cottage at opening time.

That pretty clearly looks to be Oceaneering's ride vehicle from SeaWorld's Antarctica (or a direct knock-off of it) and I had always said the ride vehicles were the best part of that terrible ride and all someone needed to do was to come along and take those vehicles and make a "decent" ride out of it.

Well, I didn't expect it would be Tokyo Disneyland that would do it, and "decent" certainly seems to be an understatement based on what we can expect from that video!

Agreed! It's nice to see an attraction that concentrates more on sets and animatronics, rather than projections (although Disney does these better than anyone else, too).

Um, yeah, I get it, Beauty and the Beast ride looks incredible, but we KNEW that was going to be amazing!

Why are we not talking about "The Happy Ride" with Baymax!!!!??? Is it wrong that I am so excited for this even though I know it's just like a standard family spinning type attraction!!?

Why are we not talking about "The Happy Ride" with Baymax!!!!??? Is it wrong that I am so excited for this even though I know it's just like a standard family spinning type attraction!!?

There's nothing wrong with that at all.

Those AAs look incredible. At one point in the video, I thought I was looking at a CGI version of Belle before realizing it was an AA. With this, Star Wars: RotR, etc, it's nice to see Disney doubling down on AAs, practical effects, etc, while so many other parks (cough cough Universal) are so screen focused. And if these and other recent WDI AAs are any indication, I can't wait to see all the stormtroopers in RotR.

That was my exact thought when I saw those vehicles. It's unbelievable that this ride will coexist in the same park as Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

I was already hyped for this ride, but after watching that video I'm completely overwhelmed. Those are by far the most fluid and expressive animatronics I've ever seen. The range of emotions Belle displays in those 5 second clips is astonishing. And the ride vehicle looks like it'll be right up there with the EMV and SCOOP!! I really hope this opens as planned in the spring before my contract ends here in Japan! I will absolutely be there opening weekend in that case!!

I'm super excited for this too!! I love Baymax and he's such a natural fit for Tomorrowland! I'm assuming it'll be a clone of the whip style alien ride in Hollywood Studios' Toy Story Land, but it'll be new for Tokyo!!

Huh. The B&B video isn't here any more. In case others missed it....

tdrexplorer.com still has it in their posting of the OLC press release.

https://tdrexplorer.com/details-released-for-beauty-and-the-beast-attraction-and-other-redevelopment-at-tokyo-disneyland/

P.S. And I love the new Baymax ride too! And the new popcorn shop, as well.

Those AAs look incredible. At one point in the video, I thought I was looking at a CGI version of Belle before realizing it was an AA. With this, Star Wars: RotR, etc, it's nice to see Disney doubling down on AAs, practical effects, etc, while so many other parks (cough cough Universal) are so screen focused. And if these and other recent WDI AAs are any indication, I can't wait to see all the stormtroopers in RotR.

I was particularly impressed with the "walking Belle" AA.

Wasn't one of the Ben Franklin AAs in The American Adventure at EPCOT, the first "walking AA"?

Trying to remember, here. He "walked up stairs" I think.

It's such a long stretch of time (to me), between then and now. But I'm glad they're making some really

awesome AAs (like Olaf) that do more than stand in one place. This Belle looks amazing! All of them, lol!

P.S. If this is what they're doing with AAs in "Beauty and The Beast", I can't stop thinking about what they're going to come up with, for the new Frozen attraction over in the "Fantasy/Magic Springs" of TDS? I did read (probably here?) they didn't want a clone of the "Frozen Ever After" flume ride, at EPCOT. They wanted something original and "E ticket" worthy.

Can't wait for that!

Wasn't one of the Ben Franklin AAs in The American Adventure at EPCOT, the first "walking AA"?

Trying to remember, here. He "walked up stairs" I think.

That'd be correct. Nice to see someone actually acknowledging the existence of American Adventure.

Regarding the video... oh my God. That AA is one of the best I've ever seen. Disney never ceases to amaze me.

I always loved the fact that Oriental Land Co never spares any expense when it comes to these parks. This looks incredible. Love that Disney is also giving more "peaks behind the curtain" now too.

There's something to be said about how Disney is developing this attraction and the others as part of both expansions. I've always preferred the way they do things - they would much rather bring us as guests into the animated world as opposed to bringing characters (and the uncanny valley) into our world in a "photorealistic" way. Their way, to me, is much more immersive.

Seems even Japan/Tokyo Disney is sadly not as immune from stupid people as we all hoped: https://kotaku.com/instagram-manners-and-tokyo-disneyland-1830978962

It's sad. I feel like this is the start to their slow downfall into idiocracy like the rest of the world. I remember watching Europe fall into our terrible patterns and now to see this happening there also...it hurts a little.

Seems even Japan/Tokyo Disney is sadly not as immune from stupid people as we all hoped: https://kotaku.com/instagram-manners-and-tokyo-disneyland-1830978962

It's sad. I feel like this is the start to their slow downfall into idiocracy like the rest of the world. I remember watching Europe fall into our terrible patterns and now to see this happening there also...it hurts a little.

Super sad. Just imagine the outrage here if disney blocked off that stupid purple wall.