Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure

P. 2: More photos from Disneyland Paris!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Open Up Happiness

Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 pm

After my wife and I's Shanghai and Tokyo adventure last year, I thought we were done with bigger trips for a while. We took a very short trip to Disneyland in California but other than that we didn't have anything planned... Until the opportunity to take a transatlantic cruise from Dover, England to New York City, NY came up. And we figured, if we were going to go all the way to Europe to catch the ship, we might as well take some time in Paris and London, two cities that we hadn't had much time in previously to experience all that we wanted to... Our trip amounted to 24 days, with 3.5 days in Paris, 3.5 days in London, the 11 night transatlantic cruise on the Disney Magic (stopping along that trip in Portland, Cobh, Sydney (Nova Scotia), Halifax and Saint John (New Brunswick)) and then four days in New York.

Our first stop was Disneyland Paris... During my last visit to Paris I was on a high school trip and couldn't break away to visit the resort. This time around we had 1.5 days to experience both parks. With this in mind we opted to stay on property at the recently refurbished Hotel Cheyenne, getting early morning access to the parks (much like Extra Magic Hours at the domestic resorts). We honestly loved the resort more than we expected, between the unique versions of classic lands (the opulent Main Street in particular), the charming walk through experiences and some of the rides we don't have stateside... Plus we were there during Le Rendez-vous Gourmand de Disneyland Paris, the equivalent of Epcot's International Food & Wine Festival at the Walt Disney Studios Park Paris. There was so much to enjoy during our visit that we're definitely working on figuring out when we can go back!
1.JPG
The long flight would lead us to Paris and after a short Uber drive we arrived at the Disneyland Paris Resort.
2.JPG
We have a strange habit of always going to the parks not equal to the ones we have in Florida first... We never plan for this way but in Tokyo we went to DisneySea first and in California we almost always go to California Adventure first.
3.JPG
We were thrilled to find out that Le Rendez-vous Gourmand de Disneyland Paris would be running during our visit!
4.JPG
I was also genuinely excited to ride this Tower of Terror, as it was the last in the world I'd yet to ride.
5.JPG
The sugar waffle with caramel from the festival booth was a delicious start to our tasting experience in the parks.
6.JPG
More food!
7.JPG
It was neat to check out this Toy Story Land, as the one in Florida had just opened a few months earlier,
8.JPG
It is charming in its own way... Not as spread out as the one in Disney's Hollywood Studios but it has some fun attractions for all ages.
9.JPG
The Studio Courtyard area was Marvel-ized during the Marvel Season of Super Heroes event.
10.JPG
The Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Dance-Off show from California also runs during the Marvel Season of Super Heroes. Having seen it in California, it was fun to see it performed in French here.
11.JPG
Sadly, this unique attraction was closed for refurbishment during our visit.
12.JPG
I was eager to experience the other Rock 'n' Rollercoaster... Especially knowing that this one will close soon to become a new Iron Man-themed coaster.
13.JPG
At Disney's Hollywood Studios you ride to the concert... In this version, you ride through the concert!
14.JPG
The Marvel Season of Super Heroes also brought a new seasonal show to Walt Disney Studios Park Paris: Super Heroes United.

This entrance corridor has some amazing lighting!
15.JPG
Lighting envy!
16.JPG
I genuinely appreciate how the resort accommodates their mix of English and French speaking guests.
17.JPG
Everything is presented in both languages in tandem, which is pretty cool.
18.JPG
I wanted to see just what a Marvel show would look like in a Disney park and I wasn't disappointed!
19.JPG
All of the major Marvel characters are represented perfectly on stage.
20.JPG
I didn't expect to see Nebula included in the show!
21.JPG
They also used drones in the show, which was a cool surprise.
22.JPG
The Hulk makes an appearance as well.
23.JPG
Overall, it was a really neat experience!
24.JPG
Still fun!
25.JPG
Delicious falafel!
26.JPG
CHEESE!!!
27.JPG
And cheesy potatoes!
28.JPG
The Ratatouille-inspired area is really awesome!
29.JPG
And the transition to Toy Story Land is clever too!
30.JPG
Time to head in!
31.JPG
We ended up riding this one four times during our trip and we're super excited to get the ride closer to home at Epcot!
32.JPG
Crush's Coaster was also a really fun coaster! We were able to ride it twice during our visit!
33.JPG
Cute!
34.JPG
I can't imagine this park before the addition of the Toon Studio Area.
35.JPG
It amazed me that there was plush for Experiment 629 (Leroy) from the film Leroy & Stitch... Pretty obscure these days!
36.JPG
Time to head to the other park!
37.JPG
I enjoyed this park more than I expected overall!
38.JPG
Absolutely gorgous!
39.JPG
This entry experience blew me away!
40.JPG
The park was still celebrating its 25th anniversary during our visit!
41.JPG
I absolutely adore the grander architecture of this Main Street USA.
42.JPG
Everything has been built out to more grandiose proportions and it really is overwhelming how different the land is by comparison to the others around the world.
43.JPG
Just look at City Hall!
44.JPG
Pretty sure the Ocean Steamship Co. is the company behind the Sailing Ship Columbia in the American Waterfront at Tokyo DisneySea.
45.JPG
A deli on Main Street? Be still my heart!
46.JPG
Hello beautiful!
47.JPG
Even the entrance to Adventureland is different here!
48.JPG
I would have loved to have experienced Colonel Hathi's Pizza Outpost when it was the Explorer's Club Restaurant.
49.JPG
I was actually super excited about this one.
50.JPG
I love the way the runs throughout the ruins.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:29 am.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure (2)

Postby jedimaster1227 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 pm

(Continued)
1.JPG
Time for something I've been waiting a LONG time to experience.
2.JPG
The new trains on Space Mountain are really fantastic! I didn't find the ride experience to be rough at all!
3.JPG
Hyperspace Mountain is a very fun experience. I would have loved to see Space Mountain: Mission 2, but as a Star Wars fan, this was still a fun first experience for a looping Space Mountain.
4.JPG
I love the setup of the Star Tours corner of Discoveryland, almost as much as the one in Tokyo.
5.JPG
Best vending machine design ever.
6.JPG
Illuminations was one of the best castle fireworks shows I've seen (outside of Happily Ever After in Florida).
7.JPG
I love the World of Color-style fountains in the show.
8.JPG
And there was no shortage of pyro!
9.JPG
The projections are great... Seeing Star Wars projected on the castle was something special for me!
10.JPG
Just a great show overall!
11.JPG
Loved every moment of it!
12.JPG
I spent a lot of time exploring the Discovery Arcade on Main Street. Just a gem that I can't imagine would be built ever again.
14.JPG
Time for my first Cornetto cone!
15.JPG
Back the next day, we got to enjoy the park in the light.
16.JPG
This castle is something special!
17.JPG
I love the marquee for this version of Pinocchio!
18.JPG
It amazes me that the hardware for the old ferris wheel-style Old Mill ride remains attached to the thematic Old Mill all these years later.
21.JPG
A closer look...
19.JPG
I was in for a pleasant surprise...
20.JPG
I hadn't done a lot of research on the parks to preserve as many possible surprises as possible... I'll explain why shortly.
22.JPG
They really took the Casey Jr. and Storybook Boat concepts from Disneyland and plussed them when they built Disneyland Paris.
23.JPG
The Boy Who Cried Wolf!
24.JPG
A Night on Bald Mountain!
25.JPG
Enter the Cave of Wonders!
26.JPG
Belle's village with Beast's Castle in the background.
27.JPG
Another surprise? Seeing The Wizard of Oz represented here.
28.JPG
Most interestingly, it is the animated version of the story.
29.JPG
I love the interaction between these two attractions!
30.JPG
Remember when I mentioned a pleasant surprise? "it's a small world" in Paris was just that!
31.JPG
While I love the Mary Blair style that makes the classic attraction so distinct, I really love the artistic direction they took with this version. Everything feels more grand and vibrant!
32.JPG
Proper representation found!
33.JPG
The winking hippo is still here!
34.JPG
Just awesome!
35.JPG
The America section of the ride is really fun!
36.JPG
Miami Dolphins?
37.JPG
Love it so much!
38.JPG
The backside of this gorgeous castle!
39.JPG
The dragon underneath this castle was as amazing as I'd hoped!
40.JPG
The inside has unique fantasy architecture to distinguish this from actual European castles nearby.
41.JPG
The Discovery Arcade is gorgeous, complete with its authentic gas lamps!
42.JPG
The window displays inside are awesome!
43.JPG
The futuristic poster art is wonderful too.
44.JPG
So neat!
45.JPG
We ran back over to Studios to get a few more things accomplished...
47.JPG
Neat to see a drum band roaming the park.
48.JPG
I love this fountain!
49.JPG
The detail is great... Stay tuned for more photos from these parks as our Grand European Adventure continues!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Grand European Adventure

Postby Dombot » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Amazing report so far! Both of these parks look amazing and I need to get to them at some point. That fireworks show is incredible. :wtf:
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Postby prospekt88 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:30 pm

Nice to hear a positive review of this resort. Don't hear too many good things about it. It does look like a great place to spend a day and a half.

Looking forward to more!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:08 pm

Fantastic report! I'm eyeing a trip to Paris next year and the park sure is a beauty. Speaking of gigantic proportions, even Town Hall looks taller than Disneyland's castle. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Disney California Adventure & Disneyland

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby ThemeParkJunkie51290 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:33 pm

Great report! =) =) =) One day I hope to visit this park . . . ONE DAY!!!
ROLLER COASTERS FEAR ME BECAUSE I SHOW NO MERCY!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Wonderful report of your first ever visit to Disney Paris. I think i was nearly crying when I first saw that hotel above the entrance of the park, lol. Couldn't believe I was finally there. Glad to read you didn't read up too much on most of the attractions in either park, to make it more of a magical unexpected experience.

A correction though - what you called "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" in the Story Book Land cruise wasn't quite right. It's actually the tale of "Peter and The Wolf" which is also a classical musical piece, written for children to understand and enjoy.

:mickey:
PeterAndWolf.jpg
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby The Great Zo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Nice set of pictures! You really focused on a few of the things I loved about Disneyland Paris -- the awesome castle, the arcades on the side of Main Street, and yep, Small World. :p
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:54 am

Oh wow, Disneyland Paris is looking pretty good these days!

Postby coasterbill » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:10 am

Great report!

We'll be there for the first time next year so I'm taking notes.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!