California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

P. 1176: Cedar Fair complete park land purchase!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Is that a giant golf ball?

Re: California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Postby alpengeistdude321 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:18 pm

I may make a trip tonight to check out Winterfest. How are the crowds for Winterfest typically? Should I expect to wait an hour or so for the big three: Goldstriker, Railblazer, and Flight Deck?

Sorry I have been posting so much here lately. Just getting back into the enthusiast scene and I am new to NorCal and the parks here. I appreciate all your guys’ help.

UPDATE 12/2: So I ended up breaking down and got a Fast Lane wristband. They were only $42 after fees and I wanted to finally get some good rides on Railblazer without worrying about the long, slow-moving lines that it always gets. The park was dead from 5 - 6:30. All of the rides were walk-ons, including Railblazer. I thought I had wasted my money. However later in the evening I went back over to Railblazer and it had a 45 minute wait. It was very nice to just show my wristband and the ride operator let me choose whatever row I wanted. I got 10 rides on Railblazer, four times in the back, four times up front, and twice in Row 7. Thanks to Fast Lane, I finally fell in love with this ride. In the regular standby line, the ride ops always assign me a row so it was nice to feel like a "VIP" for the night and be able to sit where I wanted to. $42 well spent.

The other star of the night was Goldstriker. Holy smokes, that gives one heck of a night ride, especially in the back seat. With those night rides, it almost topped Ghostrider as my favorite woodie, but GR will always have a special place in my heart. Flight Deck was in and out of operation all evening. Not sure if it was from the cold weather, but it was going down quite frequently. Still got five rides on it. Got a few rides on Patriot as well.

I got to say, CGA puts on a fantastic Winterfest event. The park was beautifully decorated with Christmas trees, wreaths, and lights everywhere. They also put on several shows throughout the part of the park that was open. I did not stop to watch the shows as I was quickly running from coaster to coaster, but next time I go, I will try to spend some time enjoying the festivities. Only bummer of the night was a run-in with a patron in the Railblazer standby line who cussed me out while I was just about to board the coaster. If you want more of the story, I would be happy to share. Just disappointing behavior by some people, but that is what happens in any public space. Unfortunately, rude behavior by the public is prevalent at many theme parks. No knock on CGA, but I feel for the employees that have to put up with the clientele that comes through.
Last edited by alpengeistdude321 on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:22 pm.
-John

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby Domm » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:24 pm

For railblazer go through fast lane as a single rider. Shouldn’t be too long of a wait. You can see Goldstriker’s line from the courtyard. If it’s around the tunnel should be like 15 mins max. Flight deck not sure, it’s such a short ride but takes forever to load and unload. If you can’t see the line just walk up, it should be fairly painless.

I’m looking forward to seeing what kind of progress, if any, has been made at loggers and yankee harbor as a whole. Last I checked they took out the lake across from roaring rapids and the bridge. That was a left over from yankee clipper? Either way, between that, the Endeavor site, the loggers site and the snoopy show stage site we’ve got a lot to work with. Not to mention the go carts (if they’re also on the chopping block) as well.

The other great America could shoe horn in two water parks and 6 coasters with that amount of real estate;-)

Have fun & report back your findings!!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:17 am

Went on 12/26. Definitely appreciated the advice to be there at opening (5 pm). Got there a little early and waited for the rope drop. Railblazer had a short line at first. Got a couple rides in before the line got long. Wow, that is an incredible ride. The park got crowded, but probably most of the crowd were families with small kids looking at the lights. At 8 pm Railblazer's line was over an hour. Patriot was a walk on, a modest improvement over Vortex but not that great. Flight Deck was awesome as always and the line was short. Still not a fan of Gold Striker, it was rattly in the last row and I prefer airtime to curves, especially on wooden coasters. Demon and Grizzly were closed, but that wasn't a loss. The Mouse was open but didn't ride. The drop tower was closed, that would have been a great ride in the cold with the lights.

Railblazer was in some ways even more intense than the other RMCs (including SV). It does not have a millimeter of wasted track. Intense, Intense, INTENSE.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:28 am

^ I can agree with that sentiment with the Raptors. Their four main airtime moments are some of the strongest and most violent airtime moments in the world, especially since two of them combine laterals as well.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knoebels & Dutch Wonderland

I Love Donkeys!

Postby aero21 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:49 am

Thinking of heading to the park for New Years, anyone know what the crowds are typically for this event?

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby whiteferrett » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:25 am

I have a question about y'all's railblazer coaster... Do they have to refill air tanks for the restraints quite often on it. The wonder woman almost without fails needs some air every time I'm at it and wondering if it's an issue that just our raptor has or if y'all's has the same issue

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby CrazedZooChimp » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:27 pm

whiteferrett wrote:I have a question about y'all's railblazer coaster... Do they have to refill air tanks for the restraints quite often on it. The wonder woman almost without fails needs some air every time I'm at it and wondering if it's an issue that just our raptor has or if y'all's has the same issue

I've never noticed them having to do that on RailBlazer. Maybe someone who goes to the park even more frequently would know more, but I've been on it probably a 20-30 times and never seen it.
Read stuff I write (mostly about NorCal happenings) over at Coaster101!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:40 am

It's not necessary because Silicon Valley is way more full of hot air than San Antonio.

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:56 pm

California's Great America posted on their blog that their Intamin Drop Tower will receive a nice new paint scheme this year! You can read more about the "theme" behind it on their blog.

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/blog/2019/fun-news-drops-now

Also, is that B&M track in the lower right of the image? Just thought I would open that for speculation...

drop_tower_paint_color_scheme.jpg
Steel: 176 / Wood: 32 / Total: 208
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Johnlloyd » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:54 am

thrillseeker4552 wrote:California's Great America posted on their blog that their Intamin Drop Tower will receive a nice new paint scheme this year! You can read more about the "theme" behind it on their blog.

https://www.cagreatamerica.com/blog/2019/fun-news-drops-now

Also, is that B&M track in the lower right of the image? Just thought I would open that for speculation...

drop_tower_paint_color_scheme.jpg

The Drop Tower featured in the artist rendition is the Drop Tower at Canada's Wonderland, that is why you see a bit of Leviathan in the corner. I am glad to see that California's Great America is re-painting their Drop Tower. I hope Canada's Wonderland does the same with theirs as it would be nice for it to fit within the Medieval Faire section of the park. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!