Musicals

P. 146 - Some thoughts and musings about Hamilton...
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Re: Musicals

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:30 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:^^ I used to go to the ballet a lot, when I was younger. There was this subscription series, called
"David Y.H. Lui Presents", a former theatre friend of mine and others, now long gone, sadly.

He brought ballet companies to Vancouver from all over North America, and even Europe, South America, etc.

And my very first ballet company with the series, was the Alvin Ailey Dance Company from New York. And I
learned to love ballet that way, of seeing three or four different pieces, rather than on long, extended
production, like a Sleeping Beauty, or Romeo & Juliet. I learned to appreciate those later on in my young life.

I miss that series. And any companies coming to Vancouver, for that matter. :(

NW - I looooove The Alvin Ailey Dance Company! One of my friends was a patron, so I was able to enjoy many special performances and events.
Like you, I enjoy the concept of seeing a few different pieces in one evening.

Alice

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:39 pm

anthonyg3521 wrote:Just finished a run of Sound of Music as Rolf and understudying Max (were a children's theater so we cast very young lol). Forgot how much I loved that show, and of course all the adorable children in the production quickly became my new favorite people. It's always hard to close a show, but I've got auditions for my high school production of A Chorus Line in a few weeks, so at least I have that to look forward to.

Anthony, congrats on your run of Sound of Music! I totally understand how you feel when a show closes. When I was in school (and forever after), the end of a play I was in left me inconsolable! :(
Much good luck for your upcoming Chorus Line auditions! One of my fave shows! So many great parts! :b

Alice

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:15 pm

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:NW - I looooove The Alvin Ailey Dance Company! One of my friends was a patron, so I was able to enjoy many special performances and events.

Alice

Also, it was the Very First Time, I really learned to actually appreciate classical music!
The first piece the Ailey Co. did for the evening was something from The Four Seasons.....Vivaldi.

I still keep the Four Seasons Vivaldi CD close by, to constantly remind me of the joy of music and dance, together.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:45 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:
ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:NW - I looooove The Alvin Ailey Dance Company! One of my friends was a patron, so I was able to enjoy many special performances and events.

Alice

Also, it was the Very First Time, I really learned to actually appreciate classical music!
The first piece the Ailey Co. did for the evening was something from The Four Seasons.....Vivaldi.

I still keep the Four Seasons Vivaldi CD close by, to constantly remind me of the joy of music and dance, together.

Can't think of a better way to learn and appreciate classical music than experiencing its partnership with dance! I had the same experience when I first learned to lo love dance. Such a wonderful way to be introduced to beautiful classical pieces.

Alice

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:22 pm

Might as well throw it in, here....

If you can get this back copy of Entertainment Weekly, not only do you get
Stuff on the upcoming final season of GoThrones, but there's a separate
article on upcoming plays and musicals coming to New York, with definite
Hollywood connections, etc. And a Musical KING KONG, truth!

Worth a read, if you find a copy.
ewGameOfThrones2018.jpg
KingKongAustralia-01.jpg
Yep, HE's in a Musical on Broadway! With his hunky handlers, too. (o; (Orig. Australian Crew)

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

7.jpg

The 2019 FAIRWINDS Broadway in Orlando season started its main season with the touring revival of the classic show, Hello Dolly! Originating in 1964, Hello Dolly has been a longstanding success with numerous tours domestic and international and five revivals since its original run. The current touring production is based on the 2017 revival (most people familiar with this run will know it for Bette Midler's turn as the titular character) but the charm and fun of this show has maintained itself through every iteration of the show to the one we saw onstage at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts.

Dolly Gallagher Levi is a jack of all trades, admittedly in the business of meddling as a way to make ends meet. She is a matchmaker, a dance instructor, a mandolin tutor and she has an excessive number of other (questionably promised) skills that seem to be exactly what is needed for the situation at hand. She's five steps ahead of all of the other characters around her, slowly manipulating the cast around her like chess pieces on the board... Her end game, to marry the well known half-millionaire of Yonkers, New York, Horace Vandergelder.

Also in the mix are Horace's ambitious store clerks Cornelius and Barnaby, and two equally ambitious women of a New York hat shop, Irene and Minnie, and Horace's niece and her determined suitor, Ermengarde and Ambrose. These six characters are pushed towards their own desires as if by fate, but in reality moved by Dolly's designs on them all, often in the most humorous of ways.

Hello Dolly is one of the older shows making the rounds these days and it definitely has a different style than the more modern musicals we're used to seeing on tour... But there is a humor to this show that is refreshing and more often than not had the entire theater erupting in fits of laughter. It feels like it comes from a more "innocent" time and that isn't a bad thing! The dialog is witty and at times subtle but ironic...The best direction I can give to describe what I mean is to recommend you to listen to "It Takes a Woman" from the first act... Hilarious and catchy but not spelling out the irony behind the song.

For a show rooted in the 1960's, the staging, costuming and dancing is vibrant and enthralling. Betty Buckley gets top billing as the tour's Dolly and she nails the role... Her wit, timing and energy make it easy to invest in her character's moves, especially when they pan out to help others other than just herself. The rest of the cast more than keeps up, with Lewis Stadlen's Horace and Nic Rouleau's Cornelius delivering showstoppers across both acts. Hello Dolly! is a period piece but a timeless one at that and for that reason it makes its mark over fifty years after its original debut.

As a fun aside, Disney fans will be sure to recognize several tunes from the show, as instrumental versions of "Elegance," "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" and "Before the Parade Passes By" have been a part of the Main Street USA background loop at Disneyland and Walt Disney World for years!

Hello Dolly! is being shown at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts from November 27th through December 2nd and tickets are still available for purchase. For more information about the show visit: https://www.drphillipscenter.org/events/tickets/2018/hello-dolly/
1_Betty Buckley in Hello, Dolly! National Tour - 2018, Julieta Cervantes.jpg
2_Hello, Dolly! National Tour Company - 2018, Julieta Cervantes.jpg
3_Hello, Dolly! National Tour Company - 2018, Julieta Cervantes.jpg
4_Hello, Dolly! National Tour Company - 2018, Julieta Cervantes.jpg
5_Betty Buckley and Lewis J. Stadlen in Hello, Dolly! National Tour - 2018, Julieta Cervantes.jpg
6_Hello, Dolly! National Tour Company - 2018, Julieta Cervantes.jpg
8_Hello, Dolly! National Tour Company - 2018, Julieta Cervantes.jpg
9_Hello, Dolly! National Tour Company - 2018, Julieta Cervantes.jpg
10.jpg
Betty Buckley in Hello, Dolly! National Tour - Photo by Julieta Cervantes.jpg
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:55 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:43 pm

So KT *LOVED* this! You wouldn't think it would necessarily appeal to 11 year old girls, but she's an old soul and loved the characters, humor, dancing, costumes, and everything about it.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby anthonyg3521 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:03 am

I’m pretty late with this, but I did see the touring production of Wicked a few weeks ago, and it was something to remember! With Jackie Burns and Kara Lindsay playing Elphaba and Glinda respectively, it was quite the spectacle! Kara Lindsay was absolutly historical with her unique take on Glinda, and Jackie Burns had everything to make the transformation from young, almost naive Elphaba to strong, passionate Elphaba. I did stagedoor afterwords, getting to meet both the witches, something I couldn’t believe was happening until after the fact :lmao:. Anyway, if the show comes near you, I would 10/10 recommend going to see it!
A0824FC6-A2C1-4827-83A9-74CE7F47D652.jpeg
Classic Playbill-before-the-show picture

5DD65A2A-35AC-4759-A99D-78EBABFC92C6.jpeg
Kara Lindsay is the sweetest! And I was quite starstuck as seen here

B14145F3-79C4-464F-9674-12AAF7DF3414.jpeg
And the same with Jackie Burns! She listened the whole time I was geeking out over the show

F723755A-72DF-4AE9-9742-864B02B66457.jpeg
And of course the signed Playbills!

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 pm

SharkTums wrote:So KT *LOVED* this! You wouldn't think it would necessarily appeal to 11 year old girls, but she's an old soul and loved the characters, humor, dancing, costumes, and everything about it.

Why am I not at all surprised that KT loved this show, Hello Dolly! =)  I was introduced to Broadway musicals at just her age and was mesmerized by all the same things that enchanted her!  She has SO much to look forward to as she explores the "Golden Age of Bdway Musicals," from The King & I; Bye Bye Birdie; Gypsy, Carousel; Oklahoma; South Pacific; My Fair Lady; Chorus Line; Camelot...even Off-Bdway's The Fantasticks.  Way too many for me to list.  Being an "old soul," she can get an early start on so many great old musicals.  :lover: ENJOY all the adventures that await!
P.S.  I was delighted to get a short personal note from Betty Buckley (responding to my TPR tweet) after reminding her of the times my 3 Shih Tzu & her 3 Shih Tzu would meet up in the park! :lol:   Very nice lady - spectacular voice!

Alice

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Hey, hey you ANDY KARL fans! The actor currently in Pretty Woman: The Musical did a recent interview with http://www.broadway.com and was "dared" to name all of his musical characters, including a couple of off-B ones.

This includes his famous UPS Guy ("Legally Blonde") and last year's TONY-nomed part in "Groundhog Day:The Musical." He dared them back (w/o naming them all) to get "somebody" to paint them all, on one canvas..."like the Last Supper."

Well somebody from Broadway.com did just that, and they just posted it!

Enjoy. =)
AndyKarl-LastSupper2018.png
(l. to r.) Andy Karl as Edward ("Pretty Woman"), Joe ("9 to 5"), The Bustle Fluffer ("The Mystery of Edwin Drood" music video) , Tony ("Saturday Night Fever"), Fiyero ("Wicked"), Phil Connors ("Groundhog Day"), himself, Kyle the UPS Guy ("Legally Blonde"), Rocky Balboa ("Rocky"), Adam ("Slut"), Neville ("The Mystery of Edwin Drood"), Luke ("Altar Boyz"), Tommy DeVito ("Jersey Boys") & Bruce Granit ("On the 20th Century")...Illustration: Ryan Casey for Broadway.com

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random