TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

HITP Trip Report

Today was my first ever HITP visit and it was great. The park did a very good job decorating the park. I was able to on every coaster and thrill ride that was open twice. Overall the park wasn’t too busy even though the weather was nice. I can’t wait to get to the park in December after today.

My mind was blown by the images and videos from Great America. The fact that they made a light tree on the drop tower and then pixel mapped it to coordinate with the (also pixel mapped) lights that totally surround Chubasco is ridiculously cool. I feel like if people show up on a day where every outdoor coaster is unable to run they'll still walk away loving this event (plus they still have flats, Chubasco, Justice League and Dark Knight).

Also even though I'd imagine it's one train ops across the board it was awesome to see Raging Bull hit 70 minutes. The fact that people turned up to the event on a 50 degree night is hardly proof of concept but everyone should be happy with what they saw yesterday.

Frontier Airlines, if you're listening hit us with one of those $15 sales to O'Hare, please and thank you.

My mind was blown by the images and videos from Great America. The fact that they made a light tree on the drop tower and then pixel mapped it to coordinate with the (also pixel mapped) lights that totally surround Chubasco is ridiculously cool. I feel like if people show up on a day where every outdoor coaster is unable to run they'll still walk away loving this event (plus they still have flats, Chubasco, Justice League and Dark Knight).

Also even though I'd imagine it's one train ops across the board it was awesome to see Raging Bull hit 70 minutes. The fact that people turned up to the event on a 50 degree night is hardly proof of concept but everyone should be happy with what they saw yesterday.

Frontier Airlines, if you're listening hit us with one of those $15 sales to O'Hare, please and thank you.

They did have 99% off yesterday. EWR -> ORD not on that list

That's an awesome use of the drop tower!

That's an awesome use of the drop tower!

Here in SFSL ours is sitting with just a white floodlight shining on it. Jealous.

I went to the park on Friday and I was very surprised with how much effort was put into Holiday in the Park. There are a ton of lights and light protection on Chubasco is really cool. The only area without lights is Yankee Harbor, but that's okay. Overall the shows are pretty good. I hate Christmas music, but still found them to be enjoyable. I didn't leave myself much time for rides so I rode X-Flight once and Raging Bull three times. Both were walk ons, running well, one train and slow ride ops. I had a good time and plan on going a few more times. I took pictures, but don't have time to edit and post them. Side note, there are some Maxx Force pieces in the back parking lot and more rebar cages at the construction site.

So a couple of really quick thoughts. I went on Saturday night and while I overall had a good time I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed.

There were some logistical issues like running out of souvenir hot chocolate cups. This is understandable and all but then to have only one stand offering paper cups (all the other stands were only offering refills for cups they had sold out of) didn’t make any sense. The light show is massively disappointing and beyond tacky. I expected to see the whole area have dancing lights to a festive theme, what I saw was a giant video wall of Santa doing “the nae nae”.

And my last point, and this opinion I got from comparing the experience to the much smaller Six Flags St. Louis. But Great America is just a little too big for this event. It’s impossible to avoid the dead space and closed rides in between areas.

This hopefully will get better as the event grows year to year. Again we had a good time, and top points to the Santa meet and greet on the train. That was really well done. Hopefully next year once Max Force is done they can have the train and the observation tower open for this event!

519C6782-1345-41C3-AE2C-E5965C58FD0E.thumb.jpeg.f95f8a987f5274401d50cdf5dafccf85.jpeg

A raptor clone makes sense. The park has been saying they are out of room for about 20 years. Most of the coasters are medium to small in size. A raptor could fit in the space occupied by Buccaneer Battle. The Demon Funnel Cake stand and/or the Hometown Park rides could be removed depending on the coaster placement. Pretty much the same area where Railblazer is at CGA. The raptors look like good rides so it would be cool if the park got one eventually. The capacity is my only issue, but I could always ride it when the park isn't busy. We'll see if this park or another in the chain gets a raptor clone in the coming years.

I'm going with the option on the top right. I feel like a third log flume would fill a major void in the lineup. Make it happen.

They are just going to retheme Loggers Run into DC super logs and give all the logs capes and snickers adverts

I don't know how I feel about a Raptor at GAm. Being compact helps matters but the truth is the capacity of the current models with single-wide trains seems like it'd be way too low for a park that gets the attendance numbers that GAm does. If RMC could make a rail and train that slotted in between T-Rex and Raptor that would be a good option.

I don't know how I feel about a Raptor at GAm. Being compact helps matters but the truth is the capacity of the current models with single-wide trains seems like it'd be way too low for a park that gets the attendance numbers that GAm does.

What about Joker?

In all seriousness (though a third flume would be awesome albeit an incredibly stupid investment) my first thought was also that they should stockpile as many indoor rides as possible over the next few years.

First thing I thought of when I saw Holiday Park's new area was that SFGAm should have something like this.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

I don't know how I feel about a Raptor at GAm. Being compact helps matters but the truth is the capacity of the current models with single-wide trains seems like it'd be way too low for a park that gets the attendance numbers that GAm does.

What about Joker?

That line can get nasty. The park shouldn't make that mistake again.

How was it a mistake? The last couple times I've gone we waited ten minutes max, with the longest line of the day appearing to be around 20-30 minutes. The queue is also in plain view, so if someone wants to jump into an hour wait they do so willingly. I see no reason for SFGam to look at Joker as a mistake. A S&S Free Spin had already been installed at SFGAdv, which is a very large park. Free Spins are a ton of fun and everyone always seems to be laughing and smiling when they walk away from them.

In all seriousness (though a third flume would be awesome albeit an incredibly stupid investment) my first thought was also that they should stockpile as many indoor rides as possible over the next few years.

That park has Cedar Point levels of attendance. Should Cedar Point get a coaster that can only do like 700 PPH in a theoretical sense? Nah. That's stupid. Luckily their management realized that and thus everything they've built coaster wise of late has been to increase the overall capacity of the park by installing or retrofitting rides into people eaters.

Whizzer's line is painful enough. Why put in something lower capacity than that with a ride model intended for small/mid size parks looking for a signature thriller? It doesn't even fit a need, whereas indoor or signature family attractions would.

My Six Flags Great America survey is about rides - more specifically about the RMC Wonder Woman. I'm on my 5th question about how I think that type of ride would fit in the park.

Mine had a video of a Dive coaster. Which I’d like to see vs a raptor