TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I'd like to believe that the leadership of this company (especially knowing that their current leader is interim CEO) would not make a move as stupid in the long run as allowing Six Flags to buy the SeaWorld parks... Despite the last few years not being high points in the company's history, they have still maintained a level of quality in their theming and animal care efforts that Six Flags simply can't replicate in their own parks. Their culture isn't overly compatible with the Central Florida market either... Guests traveling to Orlando expect more for their money that just roller coasters and flat rides. The only place that has found success with such a model is Fun Spot, and they have done so by being the budget option for guests not looking to spend Disney/Universal prices.

Six Flags would strip away the identity of the SeaWorld parks and who knows how they would handle an animal operation of this scale. I know that they've dabbled with animal exhibits in a few of their parks (mostly Discovery Kingdom), but the SeaWorld parks are animal parks first, and thrill parks second, whereas Six Flags offers the reverse in the parks that have both animals and rides.

The troubles these parks have endured over the years continue to be a constant reminder of how much I miss the Busch family's influence... I wish they'd swoop in and buy up the parks as independent operators.

I'd like to believe that the leadership of this company (especially knowing that their current leader is interim CEO) would not make a move as stupid in the long run as allowing Six Flags to buy the SeaWorld parks... Despite the last few years not being high points in the company's history, they have still maintained a level of quality in their theming and animal care efforts that Six Flags simply can't replicate in their own parks. Their culture isn't overly compatible with the Central Florida market either... Guests traveling to Orlando expect more for their money that just roller coasters and flat rides. The only place that has found success with such a model is Fun Spot, and they have done so by being the budget option for guests not looking to spend Disney/Universal prices.

Six Flags would strip away the identity of the SeaWorld parks and who knows how they would handle an animal operation of this scale. I know that they've dabbled with animal exhibits in a few of their parks (mostly Discovery Kingdom), but the SeaWorld parks are animal parks first, and thrill parks second, whereas Six Flags offers the reverse in the parks that have both animals and rides.

The troubles these parks have endured over the years continue to be a constant reminder of how much I miss the Busch family's influence... I wish they'd swoop in and buy up the parks as independent operators.

I was saying if somehow the AB takeover by InBev and Blackfish somehow ultimately leads to me looking at a Super Loop at BGW called "Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth" or "Harley Quinn's Spinsanity" after all these years of that place being this wonderful European themed park that is beloved by all of VA I wouldn't be sure what to think.

Hey look it’s this rumor again...

Seriously. SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment is growing. I really don't think that they have any reason to seek out someone to buy / bail them out of a jam. I also think that unless Six Flags just acts as a non-intrusive parent, the logistics of such a change to licensing agreements, season passes, staffing, creative talent, and about a million other things would be completely nuts.

Add me to the "I don't think that this is a good idea if by some tiny chance it turns out to be true" camp.

Agreed. I feel like this rumor is unlikely because of SeaWorld's positive quarterly results, but the mere thought of Busch Gardens and SeaWorld being flagged sends shivers down my spine.

But if guests traveling to Orlando already have their $7/month pass from Six Flags...a built in market is already created. Six Flags would fit in perfectly with the "I-Drive" crowd.

I've never wanted a rumor to be false to this extent before. Having had years and years of absolutely amazing trips to SWO and only having fairly lack luster trips to SF parks (Although I am used to CF if that helps), I would hate to see this happen. If it does I wouldn't want to be an alarmist as I would hope they would keep enough SW and BG staff around to keep the park's experience the same, I feel SF would make more poor decisions in the long run about the animals, and could harm the animals getting even better habitats than what Blackfish has already ruined (What ever happened to the larger tanks and realistic habitats anyway? Can't even remember the name of it).

But if guests traveling to Orlando already have their $7/month pass from Six Flags...a built in market is already created. Six Flags would fit in perfectly with the "I-Drive" crowd.

I totally agree.

Edited by jray21

I am very opposed to the Six Flags SEAS buyout rumor. I have always been a fan of all of the SEAS parks, and if there is a park other than Dollywood or SDC I would rather spend my day at in the US, it's a SEAS park. I am impressed with the hard work they have done over the past several years in their post Blackfish climate. Finally seeing them begin to turn things around is very rewarding to me. When you visit a SEAS park, you are given an impression that this corporation is actually out to benefit the greater good of our society, not just to make money. Yes, there is criticism of animals being contained and not being able to live in their natural habitats etc. But the education the parks promote to the general public I feel benefits all the animals that do live in the wild. Educating the public about all of their species is of great benefit to the species well being in the wild. I love how they are re-imagining these animal habitats. Not to mention all of the animal rescue efforts they have beefed up in recent years. The SEAS parks have immersive world class attractions. They are unique to the collection of US parks - more European park like in their imaginative attractions.

When I enter a Six Flags anywhere in the country I see so much similarity. Not to mention that in the Six Flags parks, it is obvious the chain is concerned more about money making than guest experience. I was so disappointed in Discovery Kingdom, seeing that park last October was a complete letdown. Talking about dilapidated animal habitats, and seeming like they are not concerned for animal welfare. I really hope that Six Flags would concentrate and what they have, much like the SEAS parks have, rather than gobbling up these unique parks.

Yeah, it was fun to watch for a few minutes. The platform slowly creeps up the lift into position and they release people without flipping the car back down. Once everyone on the car is out and down the stairs, they move on to the next one.

This happened at around...2 PM-ish today? My friend and I were actually in the queue. The ride went down for a "brief delay" for about 15 minutes and then "temporarily closed". They buzzed the lift starter as we were exiting and...nothing, then they started evacuating around 3:30-4 PM. Even as we left at around 5:30 the train sat there, empty, near the top of the lift hill, as they tried to start it up again.

Those who are going to the park on Sunday, prepare yourselves, because Manta might not be open.

I was evacuated from Air, and they release the foot restraints so that your feet touch the step beneath, then they release the overhead restraint and you kinda walk out from underneath with the car still in the flying position. Before they open the restraint they ask you to push your back into the seat so when they unlock the restraints it isn't as if you 'drop' out of the restraint because your feet take the pressure. It was quite simple although I think a few people were a bit worried when they said they were going to evac.

I was evacuated from Air, and they release the foot restraints so that your feet touch the step beneath, then they release the overhead restraint and you kinda walk out from underneath with the car still in the flying position. Before they open the restraint they ask you to push your back into the seat so when they unlock the restraints it isn't as if you 'drop' out of the restraint because your feet take the pressure. It was quite simple although I think a few people were a bit worried when they said they were going to evac.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm pretty sure I would crap myself if I ever had to evacuate from Tatsu. That lift hill is awesome but also incredibly terrifying being so high up on the mountain.

The SeaWorld parks "Blue Friday" deals are live now. Not as many good deals on the season passes like in previous years but $60 for a 2 day Aquatica/SeaWorld Orlando ticket, and $70 fora 2 day SeaWorld/Busch Gardens is pretty good. Might be worth grabbing for anyone who plans to be in Orlando at some point during 2019.

Here at the park today, and Manta had an evacuation...

Hopefully the riders didn't have to endure the exhaust of the evac platform motor being blown in their faces as it moves into position. I was close to getting carbon monoxide poisoning while waiting to get evac'd off of Tatsu a couple years ago.

Heads up to anyone looking to take advantage of Blue Friday... the website says that the promo code to save 30% off of everything in the store is "Sale30" but it's not. It's "Save30" which I found out by (after having it fail a bunch of times) assuming they were dumb and typed it wrong and being right.

The sale has been up for days, why they haven't fixed that I'll never know.

PS: BOGO Dine with Shamu is a steal. It's effectively $15 a person. If you're visiting in the next few months and don't jump on that then you're insane.

• 3 weeks later...

SeaWorld Orlando has sent us a press release about their new event, Inside Look, where guests will be able to go behind the scenes of some of the rarely visited backstage animal care facilities throughout the park!

_DSC2398.thumb.jpg.a13d5b67b476e6a3ae1e766017f3a049.jpg

At SeaWorld Orlando’s Inside Look, hear and see, firsthand, what goes into providing world-class animal care from the people who do it every day. Guests that visit on January weekends 12, 13, 19, 20, 26 and 27 can go behind-the-scenes for an “inside look” at what it takes to maintain a premier zoological institution like SeaWorld Orlando. This truly first-time-ever access features six of the least seen and most interesting portions of the park. Guests are invited to visit all six locations, collecting stamps to earn an exclusive Expert Explorer’s Pin. Inside Look tours are available at each location at various times throughout the day.

Special Guest appearance on the weekends will feature Guy Harvey (January 12-13), OCEARCH founder Chris Fischer (January 19-20) and Jack Hanna (January 26-27).

SeaWorld Rescue Center - Visit the home base of the SeaWorld Rescue Team to meet and hear from the dedicated team of filtration experts, animal care personnel, lab technicians and veterinarians who work around the clock to deliver life-saving care to animals in need. While behind-the-scenes, visitors will get to see some of the many facilities that help SeaWorld provide top-quality care to the animals that call SeaWorld home, as well as the hundreds of rescued animals that receive care at SeaWorld annually.

Fish House - Step behind-the-scenes into an area rarely seen by park guests to meet the dedicated team of ambassadors who start their day before sunrise in order to provide the best of diets for every fish, sea turtle, sea lion, penguin, dolphin, or killer whale in the park.

Sea Lion & Otter Primary Housing - For the first time ever, visit the home of the talented group of California sea lions, Pacific walrus and Asian small-clawed otters from Clyde & Seamore’s Sea Lion High. Hear stories and gain insight from the team of trainers who perform with these animals on a daily basis and learn what goes into making a live performance look seamless.

Animal Ambassador Hamlet - This historic facility has a rich history of providing a loving home to a variety of animals at SeaWorld Orlando, including our Animal Ambassador team. Comprised of an eclectic collection of small mammals, exotic birds and a handful of well-trained reptiles, the Animal Ambassadors make surprise visits out in the park, appear at local community events, news stations and travel far and wide making appearances on network television programs and events.

Beluga & Seal Primary Housing - Step into the maze of back hallways that provide service access to the residents of Wild Arctic starting with the food prep area for the beluga whales, seals and walruses. Proceeding further in, guests will get to see a variety of beluga toys followed by a chance to step outside and see the back beluga pool and scales on which the whales are weighed. Finally, guests will see the harbor seal holding pools where the seals spend time relaxing when they are not on exhibit.

Manta Aquarium - Go above the surface and discover what it looks like towering over the depths of Manta’s main aquarium. In a location few have ever seen, uncover what goes into caring for the wide array of fish, rays, sea dragons, live corals and giant Pacific octopus that call Manta home. Meet the team of divers and aquarists who maintain the habitat and feed the wide range of fish within.

Only a Few Weeks Left in 2018 to Enjoy and Experience:

SeaWorld’s Christmas Celebration

SeaWorld Orlando is where holiday memories are made, transforming into a holiday wonderland with over 3 million twinkling lights and festive holiday shows. The season meets the sea daily through December 31, 2018 and is included with park admission.

New Year’s Eve at SeaWorld Orlando

Celebrate our connection to the sea, sea life and the world we share as we ring in the New Year, SeaWorld style. A spectacular musical celebration and bold fireworks display will send a wave of welcome to the New Year ahead.

Three Kings Celebration

In honor of the cherished tradition of Latin cultures, families are invited to help us commemorate the arrival of the Three Wise Men as only SeaWorld can. SeaWorld’s Three Kings Celebration is included with park admission and begins at 11 a.m. daily, Jan. 1 – 6, continuing through park close.

Best Way to Play

The best way for guests to experience all of the events at SeaWorld Orlando is with an Annual Pass, starting at $10.99 a month for Florida residents. Special members-only benefits such as discounts on dining and shopping make the Annual Pass especially valuable to enjoy SeaWorld’s events throughout the year.

For additional behind the scenes experiences, visit SeaWorld during any Inside Look day to buy one tour and get one free. Offer is only available at SeaWorld in the SeaWorld Rescue Store, the Information and Reservation Counter, or Guest Services.

For more information, park hours and to purchase tickets, visit SeaWorld.com/Orlando. To keep up to date on park hours and events, follow SeaWorld’s social channels on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

_DSC1796.thumb.jpg.8e3e5ec62fb3a04c792ee7726812a0e5.jpg

_DSC1956.thumb.jpg.697ed29a4a4e346666690148ec735c5d.jpg

_DSC3776.thumb.jpg.dea773afab6e8dc6c87379fa1d33c269.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

They are a few years late with this, but that is a really cool thing to offer to all guests. I did something similar for Sea World San Diego a few years ago on a media tour and it was fascinating. This should have been the immediate response to Blackfish, showing how much overall good they do...