Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

P. 28 - Verrückt will be removed from the park!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 16 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Re: Accidental death at Schlitterbahn in Kansas City.

Postby Jew » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:28 pm

djrappa wrote:I think when you're trying to buy meth and hookers using free theme park passes you've kind of hit a whole new level of rock bottom.

What a brilliant business plan! Have some "fun" and get your money back when the hookers come to spend money on food/drink/parking/etc. ? :lmao:
Last edited by Jew on Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:28 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:14 pm

TEDodd wrote:
Philrad71 wrote: can always expect at least one meth bust per day - and we are a small town of like 40,000 people.

Scary times, people.

40k?

We get them often in a town of 1200.
And the town of 10k nearby several each week.

OMG!!!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby lord denning » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:02 pm

Using Tapatalk

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:59 am

https://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/article226632094.html?__twitter_impression=true

The Kansas City Star wrote:Wyandotte County judge on Friday ruled that the Kansas Attorney General abused a grand jury last year to obtain criminal indictments against several Schlitterbahn employees and associates involved in the design, construction and operation of the Verruckt water slide.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby TEDodd » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:19 pm

Well, that's quite the development.

The AG seems to have screwed up a lot.
No excuse considering how easy it is to get an indictment from a Grand Jury historically.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby bill_s » Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:32 pm

While this is a terrible case, it's pretty obvious the severity of the charges had something to do with the father's political influence.

Postby coasterbill » Sat May 18, 2019 7:06 am

Schlitterbahn water park in Kansas City appears unlikely to open

KANSAS CITY, KS (AP) -- A Kansas water park where a 10-year-old boy was decapitated isn't hiring lifeguards, advertising or selling tickets with less than a month left before its typical Memorial Day weekend opening date, underlining speculation that it could be put up for sale.

Schlitterbahn remains mum on its plans, but has largely removed reference from its website about the park in Kansas City, Kansas, where Caleb Schwab was killed in 2016 when the raft he was riding on the 17-story Verruckt slide went airborne and hit a metal pole. Verruckt - German for "crazy" - never reopened and was torn down last year. Season tickets have been on sale for months for Schlitterbahn's four Texas locations, but not the Kansas park.

"Schlitterbahn has not informed us of their plans, but we are assuming they are not opening this summer," said Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kansas, spokesman Mike Taylor. "We are hopeful that Schlitterbahn will come under new ownership and branding, and will open next summer."

Speculation about a potential sale was fueled by mortgage lender, EPR Properties, announcing last week that Schlitterbahn is expected to pay off its approximately $190 million loan on the property soon. EPR chief executive Gary Silvers told analysts on a conference call about its first-quarter earnings that Schlitterbahn is working with an undisclosed third-party lender on the deal.

Schlitterbahn spokeswoman Winter Prosapio declined to comment on the Kansas park's future, including whether it would open.

"Schlitterbahn is a privately held company and does not comment on financials," she said in an email. "Our Texas parks are off to a strong start for the 2019 season, but we have no news to share about our KC property at this time."

EPR said in a previous filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission that it agreed to advance Schlitterbahn additional amounts under the mortgage. The filing noted an offseason shortfall and the cost of legal issues stemming from Caleb's death during a special day for elected officials and their families. Caleb's father, Scott Schwab, then a state lawmaker, was elected Kansas secretary of state last year. With his urging, lawmakers voted to strengthen the state's relatively lax oversight of amusement park rides.

Caleb's family received nearly $20 million in settlements, and two women who were seriously injured while riding with him settled for an undisclosed amount.

Prosecutors also filed criminal charges against Schlitterbahn co-owner Jeff Henry, the designer of Verruckt, the park's operations manager and two maintenance workers, alleging that shoddy planning and maintenance led to Caleb's death. But the maintenance workers were acquitted in October, and a judge dismissed charges against the other three in January citing improper evidence.

One issue was that grand jurors were shown clips from a Travel Channel television show documenting construction of the Verruckt, in which Henry and others emphasized the risks to riders on a raft dropping 17 stories before climbing a second, 50-foot (15.24-meter) hump. Defense attorneys argued the video didn't show how the ride actually worked and that prosecutors didn't properly explain to the jury that it was a dramatization. The video showed boats flying up in a similar manner to how Caleb died.

Charges of drug possession and hiring someone for sex also are pending against Henry in a neighboring Kansas county.

Taylor, the Wyandotte County official, said the big issue is having an abandoned water park in a bustling tourist area that includes the Kansas Speedway race track, the Sporting Kansas City soccer stadium and a busy shopping area.

"From the Unified Government's perspective we would love to see the park open in the future and be a viable tourist attraction."

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press.

Link

... good

PS: In other news, despite the fact that the AG screwed up on the Schlitterbahn case, a few months ago the judge found probable cause that Jeff Henry was selling meth and hiring prostitutes. I know he got off on a technicality and these charges aren't nearly as severe but I really want to see this dude in jail.
Last edited by coasterbill on Sat May 18, 2019 7:13 am.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat May 18, 2019 7:13 am

Agreed. I don't know where this $190 million is coming from though. That's not a small amount of money to anyone, and I'd like to know what whoever that is wants in return.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat May 18, 2019 7:25 am

Every story about this place gets fishier and fishier.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat May 18, 2019 7:31 am

Schlitterbahn water park in Kansas City appears unlikely to open

GOOD! I hope this ends up being the case for the rest of the chain as well...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!