Reawakening of Bushkill Park - to re-open in 2019

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What's with the donkeys anyway?

Re: Reawakening of Bushkill Park - to re-open in 2019

Postby liamre4 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:49 pm

This is so cool!
Last edited by liamre4 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:43 pm.
Do you geocache?

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm

One interesting fact about the Fun House, there is no record of when it first operated. The earliest known document mentioning the Fun House are from a 1927 Sanborn Fire Insurance map. Kelly Feathers, the park historian believes it may date back to 1919/1920 but is still hunting for proof.

Over the years the facade has changed many times. Here are a few versions courtesy of the park historian. Some of the photos are screen shots from videos and may not be in focus.

Enjoy the history.
1940 also.jpg
These first three are from a 1940 video
1940.jpg
1940 video screen shot.jpg
1953.jpg
Current park owner Sammy Baurkot remembers the politically incorrect image on the right side of the Fun House from his formative years. This photo is from 1953.
1960-1964.jpg
Owner Tom Long, taken sometime between 1960-64
1989.jpg
From 1989
1990s.jpg
from the 1990s
2000s.jpg
from the 2000s
Last edited by larrygator on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:07 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:15 pm

The photo from the 1990's is the one I've had for some time. Thanks for the others you've found, Larry.

I am curious as to what "gag" happened in that extended spot, on the right, with a gazebo-like structure around "it"?

Added-on in the 1960's from the photos you've posted. Hmmm. Interesting add-on.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby larrygator » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:35 am

The add-on window to the right of the entrance housed Laffing Sal. Bushkill's was almost destroyed in the floods, but the frame was salvaged and Chuck will restore it, just as he has done in the past with another Laffing Sal.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:40 pm.

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:27 pm

I'll have a update later this week about Bushkill Park, but for anyway that is attending IAAPA, say hi to Chuck Burnham if you run into him. He'll be there walking the floor representing Bushkill Park.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:28 pm.

Postby larrygator » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:03 pm

I drove out to Easton today to catch up on the latest news. The best recent news is the fun house structure expert (Cesar) is back on the worksite. Cesar started much of the work that Chuck took over upon arrival months ago. Chuck is leaving the remaining structural work in "King Cesar's" capable hands, allowing Chuck to get back to the facade and stunts.

What might not be apparent from the pictures is that the facade in made up vertically oriented boards. Over the years, many boards splintered. broke or shifted leaving plenty of gaps that were not visible under the many layers of paints. Many hours went into custom cutting pieces and sliding them into place.
20181124_115846.jpg
The turrets have been built and re-installed. You may be able to see the vertical orientation of the boards in the facade that I mentioned earlier.

As I walked around the Fun House, I saw some of the wall studs previously sitting on jacks were now shored up. Fresh cement was in the front of the left side of the fun house serving a as sill. Cement still needs to be poured around the back of the building.
20181124_112349.jpg
Here you can see fresh cement serving as a sill in the front left side of the building.

20181124_111816.jpg
Additional cement needs to poured around the back of the building.

Chuck revealed a few more details on this visit. The small build out in the front right hand side of the building has been removed so the front will have a flat facade across the front. However, he will build an awning over the entrance/exit/ ticket booth on the first level. A second overhang will bill placed above the exposed roller floor walkway window on the second floor.
20181124_114647.jpg
While I was on site today a scissor jack arrived which will allow Chuck to start attaching heavy stuff to the Fun House such as this Victorian Awning that will be placed above the upper level walkway.

Chuck also explained that not only will the first floor have sliding floors, but there will also be a tilt room before the barrel. He expects to have a very steep floor since they have already dug down three feet below the old floor. He also mentioned that animatronic monkeys and clowns will appear to be turning cranks to the spin the barrel. Here I made the "mortal sin" of asking if those will be off the shelf versions (like we see in holiday displays), I made Chuck upset for the first time ever with this questioning, as I should know by know everything the Dark Ride Artist does is custom made (if not from a original pre-1950 manufacturer).

Another thing I have learned about Chuck over the years is his love of clowns and puppets. Chuck's custom clown cutouts will appear near the Fun House entrance.
20181124_114751.jpg
On the floor of the bumper cars arena I saw wooden cutouts that I recognized right away as Chuck's popular clowns.
20181124_115042.jpg
He was gracious enough to turn them over and stand them up allowing me to capture these images.
The other personal touch will be puppets in puppet boxes. That's the next artistic portion that Chuck is planning on undertaking, and this should happen quickly with Cesar back on site and the continued assistance of John Cory.

20181124_124010.jpg
The building to the right of the Fun House that used to be a food stand still stores some ride parts.

20181124_124027.jpg
This is being turned into The Toy Store, Chuck's personal workshop to create toys for the dark rides and walk throughs.

20181124_113820.jpg
This area is right next to the workbench. Chuck plans to have educational sessions for kids.

20181124_113853.jpg
The ventilation from the old cooking area will be used to help ventilate the workspace.

20181124_122721.jpg
I did not even realize that right behind the Fun House is a stage. With wooden bench seating that will need to be repaired.

I'm planning another visit over the Christmas break, but may be there sooner as Chuck may be receiving a special shipment. The special shipment involves Chuck's next project after the Fun House. A dark ride. The Pretzel was lifted off it's foundation during the 2005 flood and was last seen floating down Bushkill Creek in pieces.
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:27 pm.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby djcoastermark » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:37 am

Those pics are great. I can't imagine an undertaking such as this. The whole project, and park for that matter, seems insurmountable. That's dedication.

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:47 am

djcoastermark wrote:Those pics are great. I can't imagine an undertaking such as this. The whole project, and park for that matter, seems insurmountable. That's dedication.

And that's why Sammy Baurkot named Chuck Burnham as the Director of Operations for Bushkill Park. While some people will view this as Chuck saving Bushkill Park, he looks at the situation and says Bushkill is saving him. When he is not continuing the legacy of dark ride heroes who proceeded him (such as: Bill Tracy, Peter Rasulo) he is not really living.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:58 am

this is so interesting to follow along!

thanks for keeping this so updated, Larry. I think my favorite thing thus far has been the snapshots of the front of the FunHouse thru the years. . but watching the refurb via the posts is a real treat.

best,
bert
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:55 am

One last thing. The image of the woman balancing on the ball that appeared on Sanatoga Park's Hilarity Hall Park will be recreated on the left side of the facade. Not surprisingly, the politically incorrect image of the man's face above the entrance will not be returning.
Hilarity Hall.JPG
Hillarity Hall facade at Sanatoga Park

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!