TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I want to see the Park do well, it was a big part of my childhood and now its a big part of my kids childhood. My kids went once or twice a week this summer. That said, when I took my annual trip in July, I was stunned to see how many rides were not operating. I saw rides that hardly operated at all this summer (per comments from my kids). I saw understaffed food stations, overfilled trash cans and general park disrepair (peeling paint, over grown weeds, TVs not working, etc)

No, I never mentioned on here that the park could be for sale. But, you could see how one could jump to that conclusion. The park reeked with apathy. So, my question about attendance. I wonder if its on the decline.

I saw rides that hardly operated at all this summer (per comments from my kids). I saw understaffed food stations, overfilled trash cans and general park disrepair (peeling paint, over grown weeds, TVs not working, etc)

No, I never mentioned on here that the park could be for sale. But, you could see how one could jump to that conclusion. The park reeked with apathy. So, my question about attendance. I wonder if its on the decline.

You just described every Six Flags park in the world north of San Antonio. The park is not for sale, the park looks like that because it's being run by Six Flags.

I saw rides that hardly operated at all this summer (per comments from my kids). I saw understaffed food stations, overfilled trash cans and general park disrepair (peeling paint, over grown weeds, TVs not working, etc)

You just described every Six Flags park in the world north of San Antonio. The park is not for sale, the park looks like that because it's being run by Six Flags.

If its losing money, they may not have the option to sell. They'll just close. This is a business, not a charity.

Fortunately, SIX just issued their earnings report a couple of days ago:

http://investors.sixflags.com/news-and-events/press-releases/2018/10-24-2018-035923638

The title works pretty well as a TL;DR:

Record September Year-to-Date Revenue at Six Flags

To riff on a famous writer from round these parts, rumors of SFStL's demise have been greatly exaggerated.

This thread is just... wow.

Six Flags is NOT selling Sfstl. They are NOT losing any profit here.

The only reason we are not getting a major addition is because Six Flags focuses more on their bigger parks. But, we are getting new rides on a yearly basis.

Six Flags can decide to pull a Michigans Adventure and not add a new ride once a year.

I, for one, am happy with each addition each year

I agree, I've been happy with the new additions from 2014 to 2017, they've really been cleaning up the place. This year was a mixed bag; the removal of beer jail is great, but the new slide never working right was a source of frustration. Hope they get it working next year.

Some even suggested it could be sold.

No, I never mentioned on here that the park could be for sale.

Choose your words more carefully. I'm still wondering who suggested the park could be sold. I think it's just you.

This thread would look so much different if we just had a B&M Hyper

But then enthusiasts would complain that they got a B&M hyper instead of an Intamin hyper like Hyperion. It's a vicious cycle that never ends.

Six Flags knows how to run their own park to their liking. Whether their liking is our liking is to be determined, but the park is still there, still getting new investments here and there, and still under Six Flags' ownership.

This thread would look so much different if we just had a B&M Hyper

But then enthusiasts would complain that they got a B&M hyper instead of an Intamin hyper like Hyperion. It's a vicious cycle that never ends.

Maybe at other parks, but trust me, us St. Louisians on here would stop complaining for years if we got a B&M hyper. I think we'd take a Vekoma hyper at this point

^Doubtful. No one is ever happy with what they have.

Build a hyper - People will complain that we need a modern family coaster

Build a modern family coaster - people will complain that we need a modern family coaster

Build both - People will still bitch about the food

Six Flags knows how to run their own park to their liking. Whether their liking is our liking is to be determined, but the park is still there, still getting new investments here and there, and still under Six Flags' ownership.

I wish I could shake your hand right now and buy you a Coke. Well said.

I think we'd take a Vekoma hyper at this point

Actually unrelated to the current discussion: a Vekoma hyper today would probably be freaking awesome based on what they've been doing recently in Poland and what's under construction in eastern Asia. See Lech coaster for example. Anyway back to our regularly scheduled SFStL b*tching

I was about to say. A Vekoma at this point would be wonderful. They're doing good work. And for good prices to try to gain market share again.

Then again is there much of a difference between them and S&S now given the shared ownership?

Off topic from the hyper discussion, does anyone know where in the park the huss condor ride (part of the ride rotation program) was?

just curious

Yes, I do...

It sat where Ninja is now located, which is on the site of 1/2 of the Runaway Mine Train that was sold to Dollywood. The year of the Condor (tee hee) was 1987, I believe. That year the soon-to-be-sold mine train half sat unused for the year, and a chunk of track after the second lift was removed for the Condor. It was odd to see the track just hanging in the air, but that's what they did.

It sat where Ninja is now located, which is on the site of 1/2 of the Runaway Mine Train that was sold to Dollywood. The year of the Condor (tee hee) was 1987, I believe. That year the soon-to-be-sold mine train half sat unused for the year, and a chunk of track after the second lift was removed for the Condor. It was odd to see the track just hanging in the air, but that's what they did.

Why am I not surprised?

Some even suggested it could be sold.

No, I never mentioned on here that the park could be for sale.

Choose your words more carefully. I'm still wondering who suggested the park could be sold. I think it's just you.

The Tomorrow Society Podcast Episode 50: A visit to Six Flags St. Louis, August 20, 2018. The last 10 minutes or so were dedicated to trashing the park and wondering if it could be sold or just closed. Give it a listen. And no, I am not Dan Heaton.

Screamscape has reported that panda Express is being replaced with a chop six.

Yup, they had a van there closing night of Fright Fest cleaning up their stuff. When their contract was signed, it was through the end of the season, but that was years ago before HIP was in the equation and the park didn't want to renew or extend.