TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

Giant Wheel lights?

Just a friendly reminder that the park is owned by Six Flags. Great Adventure's ferris wheel is now so ugly at night that (instead of putting LED lights on it or... you know... replacing bulbs), they've just decided to stop lighting at all due to it's overwhelming ugliness. I'm pretty sure there's not a single ferris wheel in the chain with a modern lighting package aside from Frontier City which had one when they bought it. The park is owned by Six Flags, not Disney. Please put the crackpipe down.

Six Flags will never spend money on anything unless it's absolutely essential for safety or they believe that it will directly generate revenue. Making a ferris wheel look pretty will not do that and therefore they don't care and will never care. This partnership is a good thing for Darien Lake, but please (for a second) try to have semi-reasonable expectations. You'll get marketable new additions (like the new Starflyer) but you're not going to get much in the way of general improvements. Any general improvements that you get will probably be accompanied by some type of IP re-branding to try to push merchandise sales or market something old as something new (which everyone in this thread will probably bitch about).

Edited by coasterbill

Giant Wheel lights?

Just a friendly reminder that the park is owned by Six Flags. Great Adventure's ferris wheel is now so ugly at night that (instead of putting LED lights on it or... you know... replacing bulbs), they've just decided to stop lighting at all due to it's overwhelming ugliness. I'm pretty sure there's not a single ferris wheel in the chain with a modern lighting package aside from Frontier City which had one when they bought it. The park is owned by Six Fags, not Disney. Please put the crackpipe down.

Six Flags will never spend money on anything unless it's absolutely essential for safety or they believe that it will directly generate revenue. Making a ferris wheel look pretty will not do that and therefore they don't care and will never care. This partnership is a good thing for Darien Lake, but please (for a second) try to have semi-reasonable expectations. You'll get marketable new additions (like the new Starflyer) but you're not going to get much in the way of general improvements. Any general improvements that you get will probably be accompanied by some type of IP re-branding to try to push merchandise sales or market something old as something new (which everyone in this thread will probably bitch about).

Oh i know... but one can hope. Back in the day they did paint Viper....

Also prepare yourselves for another year of whining about RoS only having one train and probably ME until they spring for two updated ones on it as well.

Is RoS planned to get two new trains or just one new train some day? I could see SF just getting two new 2nd gen trains for it, especially given the age gap the two trains would have if they bought another gen 1. Also, the current RoS train seems to already be having restraint issues.

I could see SF just getting two new 2nd gen trains for it, especially given the age gap the two trains would have if they bought another gen 1.

I believe this was mentioned before, but an age gap would not be an issue at all. Silver Bullet at Knott's operated year-round for 13 years with two trains, and just this year they purchased a third one from B&M so they can cycle one through maintenance. Not saying Six Flags will do this, which as coasterbill mentioned is most likely anyway, but an age gap between two trains would not be an issue - especially since they are always getting rehabbed with new wheels, part replacements, padding, etc.

But given that Six Flags has purchased new trains for coasters before (Goliath and Mind Eraser at SFNE as well as major rehabs like New Revolution and what not), I wouldn't say it is completely out of the question for Ride of Steel to get a second train. But it probably isn't likely either.

Giant Wheel lights?

Just a friendly reminder that the park is owned by Six Flags. Great Adventure's ferris wheel is now so ugly at night that (instead of putting LED lights on it or... you know... replacing bulbs), they've just decided to stop lighting at all due to it's overwhelming ugliness. I'm pretty sure there's not a single ferris wheel in the chain with a modern lighting package aside from Frontier City which had one when they bought it. The park is owned by Six Fags, not Disney. Please put the crackpipe down.

If the park were owned by Six Fags and not Six Flags, you can bet your purse strings that we would have lights on the god-damned ferris wheel at Darien Lake - lots of bright and sparkly ones!!!

RoS already has a second gen train. Its sibling still uses the original style. ME has two trains but IIRC the second needed some frame replacement and sounds like they're treading light on the notion of doing so near term for holding out to get two updated trains.

A lot gets thrown around about the place needing repairs or more trains, but there's actually serious money going into the utilities infrastructure the past few years. Not glamorous or what GP would notice, but power and water gets into megabucks fast and a lot is 20-30+ years old. Their campgrounds has also been getting emphasis with more and more cabins which must be returning on investment pretty well given how hard they've been pursuing it.

Given SF's new ride every year initiative that doesn't leave a lot left on the table for big overhauls of existing rides. And something is gonna be on the chopping block for every new ride in. (Coasters are sort of the exception; RoS is getting some rain and other reliability mods as the 'headline coaster')

Not glamorous or what GP would notice, but power and water gets into megabucks fast and a lot is 20-30+ years old.

Yet the water and pop half the time taste like it isn't filtered and has sulfur in it...?

Probably well water

RoS already has a second gen train. Its sibling still uses the original style. ME has two trains but IIRC the second needed some frame replacement and sounds like they're treading light on the notion of doing so near term for holding out to get two updated trains.

A lot gets thrown around about the place needing repairs or more trains, but there's actually serious money going into the utilities infrastructure the past few years. Not glamorous or what GP would notice, but power and water gets into megabucks fast and a lot is 20-30+ years old. Their campgrounds has also been getting emphasis with more and more cabins which must be returning on investment pretty well given how hard they've been pursuing it.

Given SF's new ride every year initiative that doesn't leave a lot left on the table for big overhauls of existing rides. And something is gonna be on the chopping block for every new ride in. (Coasters are sort of the exception; RoS is getting some rain and other reliability mods as the 'headline coaster')

Any word on ROS reverting to Superman?

As much as I’m sad that the log flume was removed last year, I think it’s fair to say tantrum was a good investment for the park. Similarly, though it’s sad to see another top spin bite the dust (if that ends up being the case), the new SkyScreamer will be a fantastic addition to the park. Thinking of marketability, it’s going to be the tallest ride in NYS, and it’s going to enhance the Darien Lake skyline wonderfully.

I personally enjoy those tall swing rides and will be glad to have one at my home park in 2019. As well as whatever other flat rides / coasters they add to the park in the future. Whether it’s unique or something Six Flags is putting in all their parks like the giant frisbee or 4-D dark ride or the S&S spinning coaster. It’s all welcome as without six flags it probably wouldn’t ever happen.

Even updated trains for mind eraser would be cool, and they could (if they really wanted to) retheme it to “Riddler’s Revenge” or something and claim it’s a new ride. That would also solve the “needs a paint job” issue, eh?

Giant Wheel lights?

If the park were owned by Six Fags and not Six Flags, you can bet your purse strings that we would have lights on the god-damned ferris wheel at Darien Lake - lots of bright and sparkly ones!!!

Oh my god. Fixed.

So the only coaster that may possibly get two trains is Viper, correct?

Just because I believe that the most likely scenario is Ride of Steel never getting a second train that doesn’t mean that it’s not possible if they pair it with a re-branding, a paint job and some cheap 2d cutouts and try to pass it off as a new addition one of these years. It’s not a totally crazy concept, I just think that the way people talk about it as if it’s a foregone conclusion is hilarious.

Yet the water and pop half the time taste like it isn't filtered and has sulfur in it...?

Okay, technically it's been water more on the outgoing side of things. Remember they have to maintain their own water treatment and power substation.

I get it, just something I'm not fond about, as most parks are in the middle of nowhere, and they can get water treatments up and running and it'll taste like normal water that is for sure filtered, I get that they've been in debt for a while, hope that sometime it'll be improved ya know?

I'm sure that most people already knew that the park will be an actual six flags park next year, but this just confirms it. It also seem like frontier city will be a full fledged six flags park as well?

This was on the pass renewal page.

I don't think that Frontier City is getting the same rebranding that Darien Lake is. If that were the case, they probably would have more bluntly said that it will be rebranded.

I don't think we will find any information on any rebranding, renaming or retheming until the 2019 park map comes out. The only other hope is for someone to to drive past the park and happen to see superman 2D cutouts now in place around ROS.

If I were betting, I would say those things may happen for 2019. SF has a reputation of having rides themed to superheroes and the WB cartoon characters. I would bet they work hard to pull that off for 2019, even if it's the return of Superman and the Looney Tunes for now

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly, it looks like the Six Flags Darien Lake website is still redirecting to the regular Darien Lake website - and on the Six Flags homepage, Darien Lake still doesn't appear on the "choose your park" menu at all. I wonder when they are going to fully make that switch.

Also, worth noting, they did announce that Darien Lake would be rebranded to SFDL once again, but there has been no sign of that at all. I believe they are currently still officially referred to as "Darien Lake: A Six Flags Theme Park"

This makes me wonder if we won't see that official change until the beginning of next season, or if they may just stick with their current title for a while longer