TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Thanks, I was going to swing by in August just to get pictures of the new ride signs (and Top Spin) but I was too tired to make the side trip from Kings Island.

This is my excuse every time I'm in the area. I can't justify making the stop. Maybe one of these years, especially after reading the recent excellent reports. (Plus I haven't been on a Rock-O-Plane since a county fair in the early 90's.)

Stricker's Grove

When I found out I'd be out in Pittsburg near Labor Day, I made Stricker's Grove a priority. As many enthusiasts know, this charming little park is one of the hardest to visit as they're only open to the public four days per year. Labor Day happens to be one of those days and I did everything in my power to make it happen.

Sign.thumb.jpg.4ac2624d62f6778165c57973e7a52278.jpg

This was a direct contrast to Kings Island earlier that morning.

480557546_OperationalDays.thumb.jpg.e8e1589a4be4dc63b2d623234c9ea5f0.jpg

Amen for customer appreciation days.

I wasn't quite sure how crowded the park would be considering how infrequently they're open combined with their $12 admission. Fortunately it wasn't bad at all. The small midways were definitely bustling, but the longest I had to wait was 2 trains for either of the wooden coasters.

I'll start with the woodies. First I love their paint scheme. I'm a sucker for white wooden coasters and especially love the unique red and blue boards along the track. I started with Tornado and got the back row for both my rides. That turned out to be incredibly lucky as seating is on a first-come basis and waiting for a specific seat is not allowed.

With the buzz bars, I was hoping for some good air. However, after only a tiny pop on the first drop and absolutely no air on the subsequent turnarounds and speed hills, I let my guard down. But then midway through the ride, there was this unassuming drop with incredible ejector air. I was not expecting that! The final few hills maybe had another tiny pop, but nothing else reached the levels of that drop. While I never experienced the front, the lack of observed hairtime up there suggested there wasn't much airtime there either. It was pretty smooth though, even in a wheel seat. Ultimately it's a decent wooden coaster defined by one surprisingly awesome moment. 5 out of 10

598622296_TornadoOverview.thumb.jpg.4db4e85c1bfbdc14f70db350c073972d.jpg

This is definitely one of the rarest wood coaster credits out there.

1694272278_TornadoDrop.thumb.jpg.cdfd3eb2fa8b9a514dd9ca825b19c2a9.jpg

Tornado had a few good moments.

2077709476_TornadoBunnyHill.thumb.jpg.02bd91d4b27c1a2e4bb29afb5e884d2d.jpg

But unfortunately most of the "airtime hills" don't have airtime.

Teddy Bear is the smaller of the two wooden coasters and the logo is absolutely adorable. Who doesn't love a teddy bear? Like Tornado, it was a smooth ride. As a junior wooden coaster, I wasn't expecting much in the airtime department. I think it had one tiny pop on the first drop, but not much else. Still it was an enjoyable coaster and certainly not one I felt embarrassed to ride. 4 out of 10

572490568_TerryBearSign.thumb.jpg.a0b1b443ad2b13cf8c20f1ffb54ed60a.jpg

What a cute logo.

897842647_TeddyBearDrop.thumb.jpg.98a64e67859e15c342b49a8f4e996f43.jpg

I guess no one was in the mood for some mini golf.

I was hopeful the Flying Scooters would surprise me. When I got in the tub and noticed no chains or bumpers restricting the fin’s movement, I had visions of a wild ride loaded with snapping. That dream was squashed when I saw how slowly these were run. I'd be hard pressed to name a slower set out there. The cycle was long, but I'm not sure if that was a good thing considering how much of a snoozefest these were. 3 out of 10

Fountain.thumb.jpg.18ec4e5da81f37ab3c96548c444893d1.jpg

The only snapping that can be done is with your fingers.

After Tornado, my most anticipated ride was the Hrubetz Tip Top. Fiesta Shows has one of these in their fleet and I loved it as a kid. It was ridiculous how fast you could get those tubs to spin. Unfortunately it has been MIA for the past ten years despite still being listed on their website. I was beginning to think I'd never ride one again, but then I found out that Stricker's Grove had one of these marvelous contraptions.

The tubs were just as easy to spin as I remembered. The platform on this one couldn't have raised more than 20 degrees, but it was still enough tilt to give some added momentum and ferocity to the spinning. Sadly the cycle was short, but that was remedied by walking back on for a second ride. I really wish these tip tops would make a comeback since they're one of the better spinning rides out there. 8 out of 10

255003309_TipTop.thumb.jpg.ce3148a775497b08286909a464e25dd2.jpg

It had been years since I had ridden one of these.

Like Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World, Stricker's Grove was one of the rare parks to offer free soft drinks. However, instead of having direct access to the soda machines, Stricker's constantly replenished plastic cups with 7-8 different varieties of soda. Because of this set-up, I wonder if they don't always offer soda, but it was quite the perk on a day approaching triple digits on the thermometer.

825406944_FreeDrinks.thumb.jpg.b86ef00888929a793298e11c26150c72.jpg

This is definitely the most unique set-up I've ever seen for free drinks at an amusement park.

I wasn't planning on grabbing lunch, but the park changed my mind with their $5 chicken and fries. I don't even think Knoebels can top those prices. The fries were really good- the perfect amount of crisp, salt, and grease. The chicken tenders were average in taste but well worth the price.

1643225767_ChickenTenders.thumb.jpg.3e7cfeda995535a5dbe29d887164d883.jpg

well spent.

Stricker's Grove was certainly an interesting park and I'm glad I visited. Aside from the nostalgia of Tip Top and one incredible drop on Tornado, Stricker's didn't have much to offer in the rides department. But what they did have was an undeniable charm. I definitely wouldn't plan a trip exclusively for Stricker's, but if I were in the Cincinnati area on a day they were open, I wouldn't hesitate to pop in for an hour or two.

Wait you went from Pitt to Stricker's?! Although, you mention KI so I'm not sure how those plans shook out. I'm shocked, but I shouldn't be since I follow your reports and know how much ground you can cover. But jeez that's a long way to go! Stricker's seems to give this glow in enthusiasts' eyes and I don't know why. Sure, it's only open to the public a few days a year so if you are all about the credits then sure... but it's not like there's a Phoenix-like coaster in there, a funky dark ride, or DelGrosso's level small scale food

Maybe I'm immune from the charm because I grew up in the area and we got more excited about going by Mount Rumpke on the way to and from

^ I had been planning a return trip to Kings Island to ride Mystic Timbers and wanted to time that visit when Stricker's was open because of their close proximity to each other. So my main reason to be in the Cincy area was Kings Island, but the timing of that visit was because of Stricker's operating schedule.

I agree the park doesn't quite have the signature ride that would attract enthusiasts, but it was a neat little place.

^ I had been planning a return trip to Kings Island to ride Mystic Timbers and wanted to time that visit when Stricker's was open because of their close proximity to each other. So my main reason to be in the Cincy area was Kings Island, but the timing of that visit was because of Stricker's operating schedule.

I agree the park doesn't quite have the signature ride that would attract enthusiasts, but it was a neat little place.

Aha, gotcha! I figured you had a bigger plan but the way I was reading it seemed like you were led to believe Stricker's was a mini Knoebels. It does/or used to have that little train that goes around the park. Did you see that while you were there?

Camden Park

There are great parks. And then there are great experiences. Camden Park is firmly in the latter for me. I spent most of my visit laughing and was in disbelief with some of the things I witnessed. I can firmly say that Camden Park is a unique animal and that I’m probably never going to visit another park quite like it.

The experience begins from the moment you set your sight on that pudgy clown. Camden Park’s sign is a thing of legend. It’s that perfect mix of retro charm and creepy.

1570946889_Sign(Close).thumb.jpg.0aed1b2c680c23c5d56b92c7897c1292.jpg

I don't know why this sign isn't on West Virginia's state quarter.

I was charged $5 to park on a cracked blacktop that looked like it hadn't been paved since the 1950s. I then made my way to the ticket booth, but something was missing- an employee. So I proceeded to the main entrance, only to have an employee direct me right back to the vacant ticket booth. A security guard relieved the employee at the main entrance and she happily sold me a $9 twilight ticket to experience the wonder known as Camden Park.

1714349643_ParkingTicket.thumb.jpg.99189703721d8620edbd8495252dbb41.jpg

The park sure does look 115 years old.

Midway.thumb.jpg.4d5944e165b4692b9edd540deeea5222.jpg

This is the first thing you see when you enter the park. This first impression ranks right up there with the interviewee who shows up wearing a stained tank top, ripped jeans, and sandals.

Spooktacular.thumb.jpg.eb1d16190f39799fe070772fa18bc443.jpg

If their Halloween event doesn't have any Fallout references, they're missing a real opportunity there.

I only had 2.5 hours, but from my front row parking space and empty midways, it was clear crowds would not be an issue. The only way crowds would have been an issue is if rides required a minimum amount of riders. But this is Camden Park. They didn't care. That’s actually a theme of the park. On-ride photography? No problem at all! This is the most relaxed park I have ever seen with regards to rules and regulations.

471229480_BigDipperSelfie1(2).thumb.jpg.5c9cb3a014d865925d31ba9fa59c628a.jpg

A rare on-ride selfie from me. From this view, you can really appreciate the Big Dipper's structure and the fact they'll dispatch trains with lap bars still up. I promise the latter will come into play later.

I started with the Hawnted House. And yes that’s actually how they spell it. Autocorrect relentlessly tried to correct it, but I manually applied the West Virginia settings and it was accepted The Hawnted House is one of those fiercely debated coaster credits out there. It’s 90% a dark ride, but it has a drop and is entirely gravity driven. It’s so gravity driven that the operators manually push the cars out of the station. After a week spent at corporate parks like Cedar Point and Kings Island, this was a real wake-up call.

The drop was abrupt and mostly uneventful, but the hairpin turns were terrifying. They’re taken pretty quickly and you can definitely feel the cars tipping sideways a bit. This added speed and darkness makes it nearly impossible to see the effects, but that’s no real loss since most are on par with your local carnival. The exception is the final effect. I nearly pooped myself.

You think you’ve experienced the final effect. You see light at the end of the tunnel. A bright light flashes and then you see an employee standing mere inches from your face. The employee lunges forward with all his might and brings you to a full and complete stop. I knew it was gravity driven, but I figured it’d have a braking mechanism other than a middle-aged man doing his best Superman impersonation. 6 out of 10

1763615029_HawntedHouseDrop.thumb.jpg.67ad97403f982972f4adc2109c7ff1ef.jpg

West Virginia, you're not helping yourself here with this spelling.

2026008882_HawntedHouseBrake.thumb.jpg.73986f1760ebb89dce50d06a77aa5b72.jpg

The only thing stopping you from a collision at Steel Vengeance speeds is this employee.

752075010_HawntedHouseValley.thumb.jpg.ecaada90b425ec9430efa95385c77324.jpg

Note the valley. Clearly this is a coaster. I figured it'd be down for the day, but the operator called his buddy over from the carousel, they pushed the car up the hill, and asked if I wanted to ride. Obviously I said yes.

I then walked across the “midway” (if you can call it that) and hopped in line for the Big Dipper. The only reason I know it’s called that is RCDB. There isn’t a single sign for their star attraction- no logo, no ride requirements, nothing, nada, zilch, bagel city. It's clear from old photos that it used to have a sign, but it probably went the way of the dinosaurs judging by the deteriorated signage I saw on other rides.

The classic NAD train crawled into the station and I had my pick of seats. Well all but the very back. Technically I didn’t ask, but something about there not being a seat or lap bar screamed off limits to me. So I grabbed the second to back and just barely had enough time to pull down my lap bar before we were dispatched. The dispatch was on par with the lightning fast operations at Knoebels. But Camden Park sort of cheats since they don't always check the lap bars. And spoiler alert, this will come into play later in this report.

1489993728_BigDipperTrain.thumb.jpg.eebc2940c024ea9a5e0ed0e79a0aeac2.jpg

I tried looking back at old TRs and I couldn't find a single one where the back row wasn't in this state.

With the misaligned cars and weathered appearance of the structure, I braced myself for a brutal ride. The first drop was uneventful. No air, but smooth. And then the second drop happened. Holy moly! The Big Dipper turned into a priest and instructed all riders to stand. You can fight it all you want, but resistance is futile. You are going to be launched right into that buzz bar. Because of the restraints (or lack thereof), this is one of the most powerful and intense airtime moments out there.

Now I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. I had one drop on par with Silver Bullet and the other was one of the best drops I had ever experienced. The next turn was another nothing element, but that was followed by the most un-straight straight track out. That sounds really dumb, but that describes it perfectly. This is the bumpiest bit on the whole ride, but since it’s navigated at 5mph, it causes no pain. Instead you can’t help but laugh at the wonky undulations of the cars. It rode much like an RMC pre-lift. Except I'm pretty sure the RMC was designed to do that. I don't necessarily think the bounciness is intentional with the Big Dipper.

My fit of laughter was broken a drop into a tunnel gave a pop of air. That's immediately followed by a fast, flat turn that slams riders to the side of the train. Just when you recuperate yourself, there’s a sharp plunge out of the tunnel that launches riders skyward. The following bunny hill doesn’t offer any air, but the hill into the brake run sure does. The snap is so abrupt that everyone is unmercifully flung forwards. My knees were ever so grateful for the pads haphazardly bolted onto the back of some seatbacks.

The Big Dipper is a complete WTF from start to finish. It looks like it should be rough. And parts are rough. But those are the slowest sections of the ride, so in a weird way, it actually improves the experience and makes an otherwise mundane moment memorable. Then you have that airtime moment that can hold its own with any coaster plus a few other strong moments as well. The Big Dipper is certainly rough around the edges, but there’s just something about it that makes it an absolute joy to ride and I rank this coaster far higher than I should. I simply had a blast with each ride and the experience is so uneven that it works to its advantage. 9 out of 10

1524766406_BigDipper2ndDrop.thumb.jpg.41b5cb2742352c9f1d2dda6484204446.jpg

I wasn't drunk on moonshine or anything, but this seriously is one of the best and most underrated coaster drops out there.

236804684_BigDipper3rdHill.thumb.jpg.d02791e24327988038f545242b6cc555.jpg

Also please note how close you can get to the track. I'm pretty sure I could touch the rails if I wanted to. But I'm not an idiot.

1027906766_BigDipperStraightTrack.thumb.jpg.b9a09fece8c87d269f6e739678221f6e.jpg

It looks straight, but you'll be bouncing up and down like a sugar high child on the couch.

1968632482_BigDipperTunnel.thumb.jpg.ea2ea1d63c98357b053b3864d502aad3.jpg

Take the tunnel! And note how well aligned the cars are to each other.

1186758159_BigDipperBrake.thumb.jpg.ace7af720905c0feed0469f03e520f93.jpg

This is the second best braking mechanism in the park. Nothing beats what I witnessed at the Hawnted House. Wow I'm a complete coaster dork for writing that.

With the untamed nature of the park, I had to make the Flying Scooters my next stop. I had a hunch these could be some of the best flying scooters out there. Judging by the age of the rest of the park, I figured this could be an older model (aka not the Larson ones that are almost impossible to snap). I also figured the park's operators wouldn't have a care in the world if my tub were bouncing around like a reckless marionette.

I boarded and the operator informed he wanted at least two riders to balance the ride out, so I patiently waited in my tub and noticed two things. First, half the ride's tubs were themed to birds. Meanwhile, the other half were naked. I expected nothing less from Camden Park at this point. Second, I noticed an odd hill adjacent to the attraction. Turns out, it was a Native American burial mound. I can't say I've ever been to another park with one of those.

Eventually the operator realized the other 10 guests in the park weren't coming over, so he just shrugged his shoulders and granted me a solo ride. The fins had a great deal of movement in them, but I was only able to get one modest snap. The max speed is impressive, but as soon as the ride hits that speed, it immediately starts slowing down. What a tease! Still it’s technically more snapping than other flyers I guess. 6 out of 10

683395724_FlyingScootersSwinging.thumb.jpg.b82eac13092b5ba7ea5f35e62faa8ce3.jpg

Would you rather ride in a beautiful bird or a naked tub? Only a park like Camden offers riders that choice.

The Whip also had a painfully short cycle, but it was still enough time to leave a lasting impression. Usually whips are fun-filled classics suitable for the entire family. However, I’d go as far to say that Camden’s Whip is a thrill ride. This thing is aggressive. You are flung around the far turns so violently that your car never stops bobbing side to side even on the straight sections. The only other whip like it is the one at Rye Playland. 8 out of 10

Whip.thumb.jpg.e65392207dfdcffeb26c513a17f09126.jpg

Is that logo a bit inappropriate considering their bumper cars burned to the ground (right next door no less)?

It’s time to talk about the bathrooms. Bathrooms are one of those things you don’t write about unless they wow you like the Tangled bathrooms or are worse than a abandoned gas station. Care to guess which boat Camden Park falls in?

The men’s room existed independently of the women’s room. I honestly have no clue where the women’s room is located, but I can only hope it was better than the men’s room. Half the toilets were broken. Half those operating toilets had broken doors. My math majors out there probably realize that getting a functional toilet and privacy is a luxury at this park.

1705252334_MensRoom.thumb.jpg.e91e979b471252faa98e5b008dacec8b.jpg

Take a minute to appreciate the fine architecture. It literally looks like they slapped a tooling shed atop a brick wall.

I moved onto the Lil’ Dipper and my jaw dropped when I saw the restraints. These cars had the legroom of first class. The lap bar rested on the tip of my knee. Now the part that baffles me is this; I’m probably taller than the ride’s target audience. Just a hunch. So if it just barely extended far enough to glance my knee, there is absolutely no way that lap bar is anywhere near a child's lap.

The ride itself was a cut above your average junior wooden coaster. In fact, it was so good that I rode it twice. The first drop and drop off the turnaround offered small pops of air. Plus it was perfectly smooth as well. And like the Big Dipper, it’s entirely possible to walk right up next to the track. The only thing blocking you is a comically short fence. Based on the descriptions I've heard about Mount Olympus, maybe they took inspiration from Camden Park. 4 out of 10

192377923_LittleDipperBunnyHill.thumb.jpg.7d7d3467043584cb3bc9e6f7bd9dad0d.jpg

I was going to point out where the lap bar rests, but...is there seriously only one kid on that train?

I encountered my longest wait of the day at the Log Flume. I had to wait all of 2 minutes. But it gave me enough time to appreciate the little details around the attraction. If you thought there was little security around the coasters, the Log Flume says "hold my beer." On the flume, there is no fencing whatsoever. So the only thing stopping you from climbing into the trough like a public fountain is common sense. And that's something you cannot take for granted nowadays. I also chuckled at the fact that the park used caution tape instead of chains in the queue line. Utter perfection.

299837313_LogFlumeQueue.thumb.jpg.d92b7a0c90e69ebd7d66b64b2c43d3ef.jpg

I like the use of caution tape.

139698758_LogFlumeTurn.thumb.jpg.0271d691b31129efcd1475de57e7e3a0.jpg

This takes me back to Roller Coaster Tycoon when I got lazy and didn't build walls next to my rides.

The course was pretty uneventful. For the most part, it took place in a wide open field and traveled at a snail’s pace. The second drop was pretty good. But let’s talk about that first drop. It was short, but that splash had malintent. I was counting my lucky stars I was riding in the back and only got a few drops. Had I been in the front, I would have been dripping wet. Now I have no qualms getting drenched on a water ride; I just have two requests. One, don’t wreck my shoes. And two, don’t use smelly, brown water.

The water was most certainly brown and the stench brought me back to the park’s restroom. It smelled like a waste water treatment facility. If you can tune out two of your five senses (smell and most definitely taste), it’s an ok flume. 4 out of 10

1802484444_WasteWaterPlant.thumb.JPG.35d53a7c25c53660a5ece27e561524ed.JPG

Of course the town's waste water treatment facility is next to the park. Why wouldn't it?

Photo courtesy of Google Maps, who also deserves credit for successfully navigating me to this park which is in the middle of nowhere.

1289391098_LogFlumeDrop.thumb.jpg.2f9a6cbf67dbf6706d8f5d05acab7cb4.jpg

That poor front seat rider doesn't know what's coming.

I decided it was time to admire Camden Park from above, so I made my way over to the Skyliner. The lap bars are very minimalistic. They’re very thin metal bars that fold inwards and have no locking mechanism whatsoever. I had a hard time choosing what to look at. Below me was a deserted mini golf course. To my left was the brown lake. And to my right was the pavilion (empty of course) and that beauty of a parking lot. I should also note the sky ride was a complete circuit. While it would have made zero sense to drop riders off at the abandoned back corner of the park with the turnaround, it's so absurd that it's something I could see Camden Park doing. 5 out of 10

649127567_SkylinerRestraints.thumb.jpg.21633a7eb3392e7e2a221aae86f0f7ae.jpg

I don't see these restraints ever making their way to the Great Escape.

1933796720_SkylinerView1.thumb.jpg.ac4f7f2814e0c06e59e27ccf273d9235.jpg

Ah there's the women's room.

1913212728_SkylinerView2.thumb.jpg.71303ef1c713d3ef9d1b575b575dfc66.jpg

Fortunately there were plenty of parking for the Labor Day crowds.

1960327630_MiniGolfTheming.thumb.jpg.b94479e20cdf566d57f4ee8a71eaa264.jpg

I guess both people and dogs in West Virginia stare at the ground.

My stomach was rumbling. But after investigating the food options, I decided to power through the rest of the afternoon and find food elsewhere. Reading some other reviews on Yelp and TripAdvisor suggest that I chose wisely.

1180186727_BoardwalkCafe.thumb.jpg.27b3f4ee7dd21fda7012dc0593b55427.jpg

Presentation is pretty important in the food service industry. The Boardwalk Cafe made Arby's look like a 5 star dining experience.

764606508_WestVirginiaGrille.thumb.jpg.869352e6abb790648a36ea71d3de658b.jpg

Better, but I trust Moe's.

The Paratrooper, or should I call it Paratroop, is evidence to what may have happened to the Big Dipper's sign. No clue where the “er” went. Maybe the hospital? As for the ride, it had the longest cycle of any of the park’s flats and it was cool swinging above the adjacent roadway. 6 out of 10

1018708559_ParatrooperSign.thumb.jpg.6bae4fd73b3e9fa8ebc50ae450b485d3.jpg

As a Bostonian, I really wanted to shove an "ah" at the end of the sign.

Camden Park has three distinctly themed areas. The largest area is the 1960s section. Instead of theming rides to classic hot rods and burger bars like Dollywood, Camden has perfectly preserved the park just as it was 60 years ago. The second area is the Zamperla kiddie area with a Kite Flyer and Rockin’ Tug. This area actually looked pretty nice, but it was in the far corner of the park had nothing of interest. The third area is what I call the “This Decade” area. Here you have two rides that stick out like sore thumbs in the Rattler and Slingshot. They actually have bright paint and restrictive restraints.

The final coaster credit at the park was Slingshot, one of those SBF spinners that seem to be popping up at every single FEC and independently owned theme park across the country. The coaster itself was no different than the others ride-wise. It gave 4 laps and had some decent spinning. What was noteworthy was the operator’s sitting position. How many times have you been at a park where the operator has yelled at guests for sitting on railings? Well at Camden Park, the operator sits on the railing. 3 out of 10

1730059160_SlingshotOverview.thumb.jpg.f48b8b16e94ce61f6f0a9983b1bbbbb8.jpg

Doesn't this look out of place compared to the rest of the park's rides?

While the Whip is the park’s most unique flat, I must admit that the Rattler is the park’s best flat. It felt weird having such a secure restraint, but it was absolutely necessary considering the airtime this thing delivered. This was yet another flat with a painfully short cycle, but the few max swings had some nice air. I also love the outward facing seats over the inward facing ones. It’s much more exciting staring at the sky or straight at the ground. I don’t care as much to see a random person across from me screaming. 8 out of 10

Rattler.thumb.jpg.d7735101d194b1373651a495f8184e15.jpg

I firmly believe this is the "This Decade" section of the park considering Slingshot is located next door.

I concluded the night with a marathon on the Big Dipper. From my dozen or so rides, I can firmly state that this is a back row ride. Or in the case of Camden, as far back as they let you sit. For most of my visit, that was the second to back. But then an “only at Camden Park” moment occurred taking out the entire back car.

On one of my rides, the operator dispatched the train before anyone had pulled down their restraints. He simply motioned for everyone to pull down their own lap bars as the train rolled out of the station. Everyone in the front two cars was able to do so, but something was wrong. My lap bar wouldn’t lower. Neither would the lap bar in the row behind me. We looked back at the operator and he kept telling us to lower our lap bars, but that was futile.

So the operator E-stopped the ride. He walked over to the lift hill and tried to lower the lap bars with all his might, but they wouldn’t budge. So I was evacuated. Same with the two behind me. As for the rest of the riders, the operator sent them on their merry way. None of the other riders looked particularly concerned, so maybe this is a common occurrence at Camden Park.

1701176665_BigDipperE-Stop.thumb.jpg.5a14836842d36c7391c55cfa5a3b7582.jpg

Oh sweet Jesus. I can't believe we were actually dispatched like this.

1578926125_BigDipperEvacuation(2).thumb.jpg.65f54e9945207a473572670cf98b19b8.jpg

Moments later we were evacuated.

1217589578_BigDipperRestraintsNotLocked.thumb.jpg.8dd08dcfc74e23222d72d123e37cb084.jpg

As you can see, the back car's restraints are still in their full and upright position. And then the coaster started back up.

Now I feel like this experience would deter most people from riding again, but both myself and the pair behind me got right back in line. I was curious to see if the back car would reopen. After fiddling around for a bit, the operator found a much faster and simpler solution. He removed the last two benches in the back car and continued operating the coaster like nothing had happened.

I was skeptical if the middle car could still deliver the crazy airtime of the back car, but it absolutely did. And even in a wheel seat, it wasn’t rough at all. This really is one of the most underrated coasters out there.

1416632360_BigDipperMissingSeats.thumb.jpg.3b0cb2ba58db3425fb0994898ae06237.jpg

Seeing an entire car without any benches present looked odd to say the least.

Ultimately I had an enjoyable time at Camden Park. Once you set foot through the gate, you feel like you’ve traveled back in time (well until you reach the SBF spinner). And having such a raw and powerful coaster like Big Dipper certainly helps. It's also not really near any other parks. I think it's at least 3-3.5 hours from the closest park. Since I was in no rush to get back to the Pittsburgh Airport for an early morning flight, I took the scenic route from Cincinnati through West Virginia.

Now Camden Park isn’t for everyone. If this review is any indication, it’s far from perfect. In fact, it's very flawed in many areas. It's sort of like when you watch a movie that's so bad that you can't help but like it. Take Tommy Wiseau's Room infamous cult classic, The Room. I found humor in many of things I witnessed at Camden Park, but I could see those irking others. Hopefully my report helps you decide whether or not you want the Camden Park experience.

314518153_Sign(Sunset).thumb.jpg.014fa2c79e9391a633068e953ff3d2f7.jpg

No clue when I'll ever be back, especially since I could see this place freaking my girlfriend out, but I do want to come back someday.

Edited by Canobie Coaster

Great report! You have succeeded in putting this park on my bucket list. Did you know that park is set to be featured in Fallout 76 (upcoming video game)? I guess it's already sufficiently apocalyptic, they didn't need to do much work

Based on your report, this park looks like if Knoebles and Little Amerricka had a kid and then that kid got blackout drunk

Would you say that's accurate?

Thanks! From my travels, Camden really seems one-of-a-kind. I've never been to Little Americka, but I hesitate to mention this coaster in the same breath as Knoebels. They do both have some classic rides, but saying they're similar is like comparing the Jersey Shore to a beach resort in the Bahamas.

I heard the park would be featured in Fallout and the park is the perfect fit. It had the empty midways and rundown appearance needed for an apocalyptic game. That's partially why I really want to know what they do for their Halloween event.

Ahhh this is a good one. Love the lapbar/bench ordeal and laughed out loud in the office at Hawnted House bit. Disappointed you didn't try any of the food though (for our entertainment, of course).

I honestly assumed from the intentional foreshadowing that they were going to send the damn train out and around the circuit with the lapbars up, y'know... for y'all to get some literal ejector air.

I'm torn now between really wanting to visit this place and wanting to stay as far the f*ck away from it as possible.

I need to go to this hell hole. I thought the craziest thing ever was when Lagoon didn't check our restraints at all before dispatching a Zamperla Air Race (I trusted the ride to be smarter than the people operating and it and it was, so we didn't die) but yelling for you to lower your broken lap bar as the coaster was ascending the lift hill might top it.

if the seats remove that easily?. . um. . yeah, I don't think I'd get on this.

you are crazy, man. . . but glad you had a good time, and you have an experience now to talk about!

Ah, Stricker's Grove, the Birkin Bag of amusement parks. It's not better than other things, you just want it because you're told you can't have it.

One of these days I'll get to Camden Park, because McElroy Brothers.

That sums up Stricker's pretty well. And who would ever pay that much for a handbag?!

Ahhh this is a good one. Love the lapbar/bench ordeal and laughed out loud in the office at Hawnted House bit. Disappointed you didn't try any of the food though (for our entertainment, of course).

Thanks! I'm glad the sketchiness of Camden Park brings joy to others as well. I have a strong stomach for rides, but I wasn't going to subject my stomach to whatever they had in that decrepit food shack.

I honestly assumed from the intentional foreshadowing that they were going to send the damn train out and around the circuit with the lapbars up, y'know... for y'all to get some literal ejector air.

I'm torn now between really wanting to visit this place and wanting to stay as far the f*ck away from it as possible.

Thst second drop would have been terrifying without a lap bar. It was already pretty scary with the lap bar.

I need to go to this hell hole. I thought the craziest thing ever was when Lagoon didn't check our restraints at all before dispatching a Zamperla Air Race (I trusted the ride to be smarter than the people operating and it and it was, so we didn't die) but yelling for you to lower your broken lap bar as the coaster was ascending the lift hill might top it.

Plus it's possible to manually check your own restraint. Some of the rides in Europe didn't check restraints (Silver Star is one that comes to mind).

if the seats remove that easily?. . um. . yeah, I don't think I'd get on this.

you are crazy, man. . . but glad you had a good time, and you have an experience now to talk about!

I was stunned how easily the seat came out! I figured he'd have to bolt it in, but he just slid it right off.

Hmm--reminds me a bit of my visit to Conneaut Lake years ago. Same vibe.

I was just about to make the same comment, Chuck!

It definitely has that weird, kinda creepy vibe about it...and being next to an ancient Indian burial ground screams Pet Sematary - The Ride.

Hmm--reminds me a bit of my visit to Conneaut Lake years ago. Same vibe.

I actually feel Conneaut Lake looks better off in comparison to what was shown in this report. It's not surprising that the park was so empty given how it looked. Nice to hear that Big Dipper is running as well as it is though, despite the lap bar issue.