TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

...Is it to early to order the The Struggle is Over! banners?

Fixed. And I was going to say he already jinxed it, by just asking about getting them.

And I hope it keeps running, for a long, long, long, long time.

Honestly feels the same to me, there is still a slight bump at the bottom of the main drop but I haven't noticed the had pothole since season one. It was at it's worse then. During my two rides tonight there was one section that might have more supports now (wood is newer looking) but I could be wrong

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

The new front piece is quite ugly compared to the original, but I'll always take an amazing operational coaster with an ugly train over a great looking train that doesn't run
The new fronts look cheap in person and cheesy lol

Who the f*ck cares that the front of the trains is slightly different? All that matters is that this incredible coaster is back up and running again. Hopefully things stay that way.

When I saw the photos of the two different versions, I honestly didn't know which one was before or after. I had never really paid much attention! Lol

Can't wait to ride Lightning Rod someday, or visit Dollywood in general.

The previous train design is better, but the new one keeps the spirit of it in a minimal way. Maybe it makes for better aerodynamics or some such thing.

I rode Lightning Rod twice in the dead of night November last year...I have to say that there was no perceptible 'pothole' during either ride...just my boyfriend's screams of terror during the first ride. He sat out for the second ride, proclaiming angrily 'THAT WAS TOO FAST.'

I was there yesterday and today. I only got night rides on Lightning Rod today, but didn't notice the "pothole". Couldn't tell of any structural changes with the wood due to the dark. I did notice the sound effects worked during much more of the launch than before. Had 5 minute waits last couple hours park was open. Let's hope it stays running long term!

Just incase anyone is curious, here’s a photo that has been circulating around on facebook showing the difference between the train fronts:
Bummer. No intake, no bumper. Tiny wheels, ...

Oh well it's running again. I'm supposed to be there next weekend (20th)

Edited by TEDodd

Though the old style is more asthetically pleasing, it looks like the new style is less obstructing, giving you a better POV. Keep in mind too that the original design first lost its windshields, then headlights, tires etc. What was running prior to the closure in July the train was a shell of what it originally was.

Are the new trunks on the train now also?

No trunks on the train and the new fronts are basically a painted flat shell. One funny thing I noticed, the ops and the TV before the ride are all still calling it The fastest wood coaster in the world! I guess maybe they can because Steel Vengeance doesn't use topper track?

Though the old style is more asthetically pleasing, it looks like the new style is less obstructing, giving you a better POV. Keep in mind too that the original design first lost its windshields, then headlights, tires etc. What was running prior to the closure in July the train was a shell of what it originally was.

Are the new trunks on the train now also?

There use to be 2 bumps, or “potholes” going down the drop.

1 is direct center of the drop

2nd one was right before it goes under the ride’s “step up”

1st one is still there, but was never a big deal.

The 2nd one and the one that was violent AF is no longer an issue and there are cool looking braces on the outsides of the tracks in that spot