The Model Cyclone Racer

Discussion on building of a classic wooden wonder.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Re: The Model Cyclone Racer

Postby hillflyer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:19 am

Hi fans,

Maker Faire in Balboa Park in San Diego is coming up this weekend. This time, I'm stationed on the outdoor stage of the Old Globe theater...which by total coincidence is WHERE I WORK!! SOOO convenient I can't stand it.

Also, I just learned that today (10/03) would have been coaster designer Fred Church's 140 birthday and that he died just short of his 58th. It's funny I would find this out today, the DAY BEFORE MY 58th BIRTHDAY. Things have been SO weird like that this last week, twice having dreams of random things that actually happened the next day...and this one really spooks me.

Anyways, I was able to complete the basic structure for the Cyclone Racer's south turn in time for this weekend and I'll take photos of it in it's entirety!
The basic shape from tip to tip will have taken form!
CRtmsturn.jpg
CRtmstall.jpg
CRtmshalf.jpg

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:49 am

I still get over how much detail your coaster has! It’s beautiful! :lover:

Btw, will it run? :p
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
A lost park is about to be reborn... Announcement in May (PM me for a teaser)

Postby hillflyer » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 pm

SixFlagsAstroworld wrote:I still get over how much detail your coaster has! It’s beautiful! :lover:

Btw, will it run? :p

It would be fun to try, but I doubt it will. Actually, I expect to be asked that a lot this weekend. I used to just say "No" but I think it's more interesting to say, "We'll see when it's done!, but I doubt it will work."

I really make the models to satisfy my own curiosity about the ride's engineering.

Postby hillflyer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:20 am

Maker Faire in Balboa Park was a hit. Thousands of people checking out all the attractions throughout the park, everything from giant fire breathing robots to little cup cake cars that putted around. Artists, engineers, scientists, this annual event attracts all kinds.

Had, for the first time, all made pieces of the Model Cyclone Racer were put together and displayed in its whole 10' tip to tip span.

Also, I have a really creepy story. Someone posted last Wednesday on a Prior and Church & Traver page on Facebook, that it would have been Fred Church's 140th birthday on October 3rd and that he died just short of his 58th birthday. Since 2012 I've been telling people that I somehow seem to be channeling Fred Church through my work, starting with the Belmont Dipper restoration and since then I seem to build models of coasters that are his and that he must be my guardian angel. Not picking them because they're Fred Church designs, I pick them because they're beautiful coasters, and I was already telling people about other strange coincidences (those are mentioned in a video I made last month).

Well, MY birthday is October 4th, and I turned 58 last Thursday!! OMG our birthdays are only a day apart AND I find out he died just before the age I was turning!! I must say my anxiety was WAY up there, I even called my dad to call me the next day to make sure I woke up!!

I hope you're satisfied with the progress. Events like Maker Faire are very validating to me as there was lots of interest, questions, answers, stories, contacts. All good!! Great weekend. Once I am done with this model, I'm moving on to writing and photography.
CRtmmftable.jpg
I was set up on the outdoor stage of the Old Globe theater, where I just happen to be employed!
CRtmmfne.jpg
CRtmmftip.jpg
pc48.png
Already started writing a book. Just playing around with the cover and titles.
ETMaiden.jpg
An example of my photography: Maiden of the Blue Forest
ETmartian.jpg
Mello Kitty
ETThirsty.jpg
Tempest
EThipster.jpg
Hipster Daddy-o
ETenvy.jpg
En Vious

Postby hillflyer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Meanwhile, I just now realized my skeleton for the southern tip, the three tiered turn over the water, is this close to done. All I gots to do is fill on some minor detail and track. Lots of track.
IMG_20181117_193443831.jpg
IMG_20181117_192614477.jpg
IMG_20181117_192356032_HDR.jpg

Postby hillflyer » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:20 am

Cyclone Racer plodding along.

I was SO tired of hearing people say, "Oh look, it's Belmont" when they walk past my home, coffee shop, or where ever I set up shop for a few hours. Understandable, since that's the one right here in town, "Expand the boundaries of your imaginations!!" I wanted to scream out. "Belmont isn't duel tracked you fool." But I smile.

Now, I'm hearing, "Oh look, it's Colossus!" At least that's much closer to an accurate description

All I have left to do, structure frame wise, are the EASIEST (saved the easiest for last) straight sections that run North and South on the East and West side of the Racer, and then fill in some gaps here and there. Oh, and a base too.
crhumptrim.jpg
What I call the "WoW" hump
crtmhumpstix.jpg
Sticks cut for the WoW hump
crtmhump.jpg
Made this whole thing in under 12 hours
crtmhumpwow.jpg
Where the WoW hump goes in relation to the South turn
crtmhumpgrid.jpg
I learned that those diagonals in this high-stress yet scantily build section were really made of steel so I replaced.
crtmswirl.jpg
Fred Church was a great engineer and an artist too.
crtmwindow.jpg
"Oooh look, Colossus" is what I'm hearing from out my window as people walk by.
crtmliving.jpg
I should show this photo to people who ask, "Where do you keep it?" I should put Christmas lights on this since I don't have room for a tree.

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby JT325 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Amazing work! Keep it up, the model is stunning.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Postby hillflyer » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Chain of wagons is how one Long Beach paper described the Cyclone Racer trains. I like it, kind of like chest of drawers.

One set of four "chains" lol near completion with only the side roll bars to install. Having to bend all those exactly the same will be hard.

Also put down, finally, another layer of subtrack around the innermost run around the top turn.
IMG_20190101_121729675.jpg
IMG_20190101_121156083.jpg
IMG_20190101_121409691.jpg
IMG_20181231_202126987_HDR.jpg

Postby hillflyer » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am

Hooray, I now have enough track material to finish this end completely! If I work diligently, it'll be done by end of Holiday this Monday.

Playing with the idea to sell seats to raise money for the table and case. Donors get a paper doll likeness of themselves seated in a car, for permanent display, photos, et al.
CRtmturnpretrack.jpg
Hooray, I now have enough track material to finish this end completely! If I work diligently, it'll be done by end of Holiday this Monday.
CRwagonspeople.jpg
Playing with the idea to sell seats to raise money for the table and case. Donors get a paper doll likeness of themselves seated in a car, for permanent display, photos, et al.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:10 am

Woohoo! Can’t wait to see the finished product! :br
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
A lost park is about to be reborn... Announcement in May (PM me for a teaser)

PreviousNext

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness