TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top Roller Coaster Myths & Rumors!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Long time lurker, first time poster, one comment here needs some clarification.

(I'm hoping nobody has said this yet). My favorite is the myth known as centrifugal force. It's a completely fictitious force, and it still boggles my mind that parks still use it for marketing purposes.

Centrifugal force isn't a myth, it's a perfectly valid force. I imagine your interpretation of the word "fictitious" is tripping you up, you have to think outside Newton's Laws to understand it.

Newton's Second Law says F = ma, if you don't have acceleration you don't have force. But have you ridden in a car around a corner and been thrown to the outside of the car while traveling at a constant speed? That makes no sense, F = ma says there's no acceleration so there's no force! And that's absolutely true, if you're using the standard inertial reference system used by Newton and traveling in a straight line. But if you use a rotating reference plane to account for the corner, rotating at an angular speed "ω" in degrees/second, you find there's an angular acceleration being produced by traveling around the corner. "Aha!" you may say, there's an acceleration which causes a force to be produced, and this is the centrifugal force that is supposedly "fictitious". If you really want to know the math the equation for centrifugal force is F = m*(ω^2)*r, hope that helps you understand why parks still refer to a perfectly valid force calculation when marketing rides.

I can't think of any myths/rumors that haven't already been said, some good ones have been posted here for sure.

• 9 months later...

Here's one that never occurred to me before....

In Tokyo DisneySea Backstory Land.... Harrison Hightower and Capt. Nemo....are long ago estranged brothers?

Polar opposites of each other - one wants to be high in public view, above the earth - the other in solitude, under the seas.

Hmmm?

Playland just closed today. I'm already bored. Pardon this.

Long time lurker, first time poster, one comment here needs some clarification.

(I'm hoping nobody has said this yet). My favorite is the myth known as centrifugal force. It's a completely fictitious force, and it still boggles my mind that parks still use it for marketing purposes.

Centrifugal force isn't a myth, it's a perfectly valid force. I imagine your interpretation of the word "fictitious" is tripping you up, you have to think outside Newton's Laws to understand it.

Newton's Second Law says F = ma, if you don't have acceleration you don't have force. But have you ridden in a car around a corner and been thrown to the outside of the car while traveling at a constant speed? That makes no sense, F = ma says there's no acceleration so there's no force! And that's absolutely true, if you're using the standard inertial reference system used by Newton and traveling in a straight line. But if you use a rotating reference plane to account for the corner, rotating at an angular speed "ω" in degrees/second, you find there's an angular acceleration being produced by traveling around the corner. "Aha!" you may say, there's an acceleration which causes a force to be produced, and this is the centrifugal force that is supposedly "fictitious". If you really want to know the math the equation for centrifugal force is F = m*(ω^2)*r, hope that helps you understand why parks still refer to a perfectly valid force calculation when marketing rides.

I can't think of any myths/rumors that haven't already been said, some good ones have been posted here for sure.

It actually is not a real force. The correct force is centripedal force. Centrifugal force is an apparent force and not a real force.

The most common and notorious rumor about Kings Island that has been said by coaster noobs for the last 20 years or so has been that...

Vortex is sinking into the ground and will need to be removed soon.

Can honestly say I've never heard that one. Have heard numerous involving Kings Island (some of them on this thread), but never that one.

The most common and notorious rumor about Kings Island that has been said by coaster noobs for the last 20 years or so has been that...

Vortex is sinking into the ground and will need to be removed soon.

Did you get Vortex at Kings Island confused with Magnum at Cedar Point??

I've never heard anyone say Vortex is sinking...

^, ^^, ^^^

Oh. Well I guess maybe it wasn't as notorious as I thought. Perhaps it was just around people really close to Kings Island, but I remember it being said all the time. It was actually more of a GP-created rumor now that I think of it. They would say it just because there used to be a small pond in between Vortex and Beast, but obviously that would not cause Vortex, or any ride to "sink".

I've sort of heard of that Magnum rumor, I guess they think because it's by the beach? But so many ride at CP are close to the beach, which is what makes that rumor outlandish.

The rumors for what turned out to be the returning antique cars at King's Island quickly ballooned from Racer rehab, to full Racer RMC makeover, to a brand new RMC Beast III/Son of Beast II.

What's more, a friend reached out to me on Facebook to see if I had heard the big news from King's Island (he said it leaked), and then a second friend approached me at a BBQ to bring it up, as well.

As it turns out, Reddit is where all the Dippin' Dots guys spend their time online.

These are some common GP myths...

There's always that portion of the GP that think that roller COASTers are electrically (or by some way) powered all the way through, and that if the power were to go out right when a coaster train is going through a loop, it would be stuck upside down and everyone in it would eventually die.

And there's also that section of the GP, that think coasters and amusement rides in general are a legitimate danger and therefore should never be ridden...but obviously by that logic you should stop driving your car, as well as many other things beyond that.

Stratosphere's High Roller derailed and a wheel from the train crashed through a window at the Top of the World Restaurant.

When in reality, it was a drive wheel actuator that dislodged, then the fencing was input under the ride on the outdoor observation deck.

And, it is impossible for the wheel to crash into the restaurant with the window's angled towards the ground.