TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

Even at it's best, Boulder Dash is a great answer to this question. It can deliver great rides (especially at night) but people hype it up to absurd levels.

Personally my vote still goes to X2 though, that ride is absolutely f*cking terrible.

Boulder Dash, at it's best, absolutely deserves the hype. It's been years since it was anything like the coaster it was when it was built though. I think anyone that's only ridden it in this decade is missing out on what it used to be. As the star of my home park, I can only hope that someday LC can get it running like it used to again.

Beast. What a complete f**king snore fest.

You rode it during the day, didn't you? No other ride anywhere is as different before and after dark as The Beast is. It can never live up to the hype, not even a bit of it, while the sun is up, but once it's dark...

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think anyone that's only ridden it in this decade is missing out on what it used to be

I’ve seen people make excuses for rides before but come on...

I would never say it’s the “most overrated coaster” since X2 exists but I totally get it if someone does. Our rides on it last year were sh*t and it’s overrated even when it’s running at its best (and my first rides on it were back in it’s opening season). Actual people who live among us voted this thing as being better than rides like Phoenix and El Toro a few years ago. I mean... what?

Beast at night is a fantastic experience. I was skeptical a ride with as few drops as the Beast could be fun, but it was. Now it's not a top 10 coaster or anything, but I think the only place it's listed as a top 10 ride is the Golden Ticket Awards.

Boulder Dash is another one you have to ride at night to fully appreciate it. By day it's a borderline top 5 wooden coaster for me (admittedly in the right seats). At night (especially in row 1), it's a top 5 ride in the world.

My first trip to Holiday World the Voyage left a lot to be desired. I had been riding Shivering Timbers since 1998 and all the fan sites were saying this is the bigger better version. I was so excited to ride it. It was a gray rainy day. The back half of the woods the ride was king of sluggish and the 2nd half of the ride that goes into the spaghetti bowl was one of the roughest moments I have ever had on a coaster. One ride was all I could bare. Spent the rest of the day on the other 3 coasters and the amazing splashing safari

I will echo thoughts about the Beast being overrated - during the day. It just meanders everywhere and is more of "historic journey" than a thrilling roller coaster. That is, until you get a front row night ride. Last summer my brother and I rode it in the front row at night, for the first time, and I still think that was one of the most memorable theme park experiences ever for us. It's just unlike anything else and I can't wait to do it again sometime.

As for a roller coaster that is always overrated, day or night, I'd have to go with Top Thrill Dragster. Sorry, I know it has its fans... Don't get me wrong, I love the ride. It's impossible to not like a coaster that goes so fast and is so tall. But I like rides that I remember for a long time and that leave a lasting impact, and even after riding Dragster several times in 2012, 2014, and 2017, I still don't understand all of the hype. I will gladly take Millennium Force, Maverick, and even Magnum to some extent over Dragster any day. I like "complete" coasters. Just a personal taste.

It's still a great ride and definitely iconic. But when I think of an overrated coaster, that one is the first to come to mind.

I'll echo Boulder Dash, we rode it last year for the first time. We sat in the back row (which I just recently found out is the wrong thing to do) and the only thing I can remember about it was how rough and jarring it was. It felt very lateral focused, which I find pretty uncomfortable when the damn thing rattles you around as bad as BD did for us. I plan on returning to LC in the coming years to get a front row night ride, but I went in expecting something top tier, and was left battered, and disappointed something so hyped could be so bad.

Boulder Dash definitely lives up to the hype and is in my top 10 but I really would like whatever the people who think it’s better than Toro are smoking.

When we get into splitting hairs over the top 5 or ten it really gets into personal preference about theming and the memories who you have ridden with and how well the ride treats your body. It's like picking greatest albums of all time. (yes, I said albums)

On paper (or video) Toro wins hands down over Boulder dash and Phoenix.

Toro just doesn't fit my lilliputian body, the restraints are simply like I'm between belt loops and it goes in the SKYRUSH bin for me. Just can't do it more than twice in a day.

I love how Boulderdash is all in the trees and along the hills. I love how when you're walking the paths past the ride and it zips by. (If only they could nestle Knoebels a little closer into the hills) It doesn't beat me up half as much as Toro. My first ride was rough, and I was like WTF have these people been talking about? After that I was good to go, but I would could have ridden Boulderdash double the number of times that I have El Bull.

Phoenix I can reride until I'm goofy. However, my ten year old after her second ride wanted to check her height. Odd. (She is an inch shy of riding the really big rides) Dad, I really thought I was going to fly out. I KNOW RIGHT!!!!

COMET at SFNY is currently the one that seems to fit the whole family best. And, it gets the "What if COMET was at the home home park of SFA instead of WILD ONE" treatment.

Which, ultimately who cares? If you get into a conversation with your kids that turns into "I wish Cheetah Hunt was closer" and "When do we get to ride Steel Vengeance?" "When your sister grows an inch." It's just reminiscing about BGT and CP and that's just individual.

While I was thinking about it... I'm going to add Twisted Timbers to my list. Granted it is not, by any means, a BAD coaster... To me it was just REALLY overrated. I know that bigger is not always better... But I'm use to the "bigger" RMC's like New Texas Giant, and iRat so this one just seemed a bit... eh.

I was SUPER excited for the barrel roll drop... But after riding Twisted Timbers I have learned that I am NOT a fan of those. I prefer the "straight" drops of other RMCS's. (Just a personal preference.) Idk... To me there just wasn't really anything about Twisted Timbers that really stood out. For me it was kind of a forgettable ride at the park.

I know this is just my opinion, and others feel differently... But yeah, for me, it for sure goes on my "Most Overrated Coaster" list.

^As much I love Beast and Voyage, I would say that I actually really agree with this.

The best rides should be great regardless of where you sit, day or night etc.

I can ride Voyage basically non stop as long I'm not in a "-1 seat, (front row of CAR, not necessarily of train), but can only do it two or three times in a row in a "-2 seat".

Virtually every time I ride Beast its in 6-2, which is smooth as glass, but I am aware that 5-3, 4-3, and 3-3, as well as many other seats, can be pretty rough.

But speaking of Holiday World, I think my most overrated coaster has to be Raven...

I literally, DO NOT, understand the fascination with this coaster (and never have). Legend and Voyage are both far, far, far, superior to this thing. I'm told its a great backseat ride, but even when I ride there it's about as exciting as counting up the metal planks that hold up Voyage.

Raven : Rather uneventful and VERY SHORT.

Steel Vengeance may not necessarily be overrated, but it's definitely not one of my favorites. Being thrown around in every direction throughout the entire ride kind of turns me off. I like rides that 'go with the flow' a lot more. I rode a mechanical bull, once... It felt similar.

I also only got one ride on Phantom's Revenge. I was very much looking forward to it and it didn't do anything for me. I'm willing to bet that would have changed if I could have gotten a couple more rides.

Beast. What a complete f**king snore fest.

It's not for everyone. If you look at G-forces, transitions, pacing, or other crap people coaster people seem to focus on so much then it's probably not for you. I think of it as a wild journey through the woods. And for that, I love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the ride itself, but the biggest beef I have with Voyage is its god-awful capacity...

Two measly 24-passenger PTC's running on the second-longest wooden coaster in the world...

One time I went and they were running ONE-TRAIN OPERATION!....which is just criminal...that train seems like its never coming back from the woods...

The park was relatively dead that day, but one-train operation made the line pile up really fast. What should have been a station would turn into 20-30 mins! It was just heartbreaking to see

Smiler.

It seems to be held in quite high regard, but I just don't get it. It's not very comfortable, largely forceless (every element somehow feels the same), the theming is no better than what Six Flags would do (despite the park talking up the whole 'psychological' aspect of it), and with the massive wait before the second lift makes it feel like two coasters bolted together.