TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

They will suspend "normal operations" if thunderstorms are within ten miles or so of the park. But t-storms are tricky, and may not materialize, so I'd take the long-term forecast with a grain of salt.

Edited by cfc

it's hard to NOT have a good time at BGW. . . but if you get a lot of rain during your day, there's always the following indoor shows as options:

-- the British "hits" one in the front section (tho honestly, I didn't think it was great, and didn't bother with it this past visit)

-- Celtic Fyre in Ireland, which is very good (especially if you enjoy Irish Step Dancing). and it's right across the walkway from the Irish Pub, with a great selection of on tap options, including a fantastic Blackberry Cider, and frozen Blue Hawaiians.

-- the Brewhaus in Germany.. which besides food (and beer) options, has a HUGE seating capacity, and a stage in the middle for "theater in the round".. you can wait out rain there and enjoy the food, drink, and pay attention (or not) to the show... we couldn't figure out the plot, but it was something to look at. . LOL

-- Celtic Fyre in Ireland, which is very good (especially if you enjoy Irish Step Dancing). and it's right across the walkway from the Irish Pub, with a great selection of on tap options, including a fantastic Blackberry Cider, and frozen Blue Hawaiians.

I think Celtic Fyre has ended for the season (the theatre was closed last weekend). They use that space for Fiends during Howl-o-Scream, so they're probably setting up for that show.

Edited by cfc

I think Celtic Fyre has ended for the season (the theatre was closed last weekend). They use that space for Fiends during Howl-o-Scream, so they're probably setting up for that show.

ah, makes sense. It's my favorite show there, tho. . unless you count visiting the Clydesdales.

Bruhaus to wait out any rain is my best suggestion then

(Apologies to the mods if I jumped the gun on posting this w/o a full proper press release deal - its all they put up that I could find. Nothing on the website, youtube etc. And they posted this around 7, sooooo I wanted to talk about how stoked I am for the Screamin Swing. On a cliff. )

I'm not a waterpark guy, but the water coaster looks pretty badass too.

Can we just take a minute to appreciate the tear S&S has been on lately between this, the Hershey towers, Maxx Force and Steel Curtain, all the freespins, Gale Force, the Dutch Wonderland jawn...

More parks need to put in Screamin' Swings. They should be the next flat Six Flags invests in after they're done loading their parks with Discoveries!

This is an awesome edition. It did confuse me for a second because I didn't realize there were 3 (technically 4) versions of the Screamin' Swing so when I saw 45mph as the speed I thought it was an error because I know Skyhawk is 65mph. I then quickly found out that Skyhawk is the largest, 40 person model and this is the medium sized 32 model.

Great additions on both counts! Looking forward to riding both of these when we visit again next year.

We actually ended up making our 2nd annual pilgrimage to Williamsburg over this past Labor Day weekend, and since I'm rapidly discovering that hey, waterparks are actually kind of fun after all, we ended up visiting Water Country USA for the first time with everyone. Surprisingly on Saturday it was pretty dead, with most of the stuff being walk-ons and only about a 20 minute wait for Big Daddy Falls. My son and I did Colossal Curl twice in a row within the span of ten minutes. God, that thing is amazing and balls-out terrifying when going down it backwards. Unfortunately passing thunderstorms ended up running us out of the park around 3 PM on Saturday, so we retreated to our hotel's pool instead.

On Sunday we ended up taking a second shot at WCUSA and the crowd levels were considerably jacked up. We didn't get to do nearly everything in the park, but we had fun chilling out on the lazy river, checking out some of the kid-friendly areas for our littlest, trying out the body slides back in Rock 'n' Roll Island, and finishing off with the pitch black nightmare that is Aquazoid. None of us literally had any idea which direction we were travelling at any point in this ride, and as we splashed down into the pool at the end, we were just left looking at each other like "what the heck just happened?!".

We decided to leave around 3 to get cleaned up and changed, and headed over to Busch Gardens proper after a late lunch around 6 PM. Talk about slammed -- as bad as it was over at WCUSA, BGW was ten times worse. All the walking paths were crammed with groups everywhere, and though we were expecting the heat to taper off in the evening, it was just so humid that within a few minutes of entering the gates we were drenched. We didn't end up getting a chance to do much of anything; the four of us rode Grover's Alpine Express together, then the big kiddo and I went off to Apollo's Chariot for his first ever B&M hyper experience (thanks, 52" height requirement!). We ended up waiting about 45 minutes for the front row, and by the time we pulled out of the station the sun had set and it was just dark enough for a bit of mystery. Long story short? He absolutely LOVED it and promptly declared it his new #1 favorite coaster. I promised him we'd come back during a slower season and marathon the crap out of it. Unfortunately by the time we caught up with the ladies, my three-year-old daughter was in the throes of a full-on toddler meltdown thanks to the heat, so we finished off the night by giving the kids a ride on their Lil Balloons, grabbing some glowy Sesame Street stuff from a souvenir stand, and heading back to the comfort of our air-conditioned car to watch the fireworks show from afar.

In any case, lesson learned... probably don't visit on Labor Day weekend next year.

Hooray more S&S swings! This looks like a great location for one, especially in that part of the park.

Another saucer water coaster eh? I'm surprised as to how popular they are given the reviews. Are they more cost effective due to less up hill sections?

I think Finnegan's Flyer is a good choice for Ireland, but I'm more intrigued by Cutback, the water coaster. Should be a lot better than Meltdown, the ride it's replacing.

It's funny because years ago, I used to think that Meltdown was the best attraction in the park. Look how far we've come.

Cutback may be enough to get me to visit Water Country for a few hours next time I'm down there. I'm interested to give these saucer slides a second chance after a less than stellar ride on SFFT's Thunder Rapids.

Then the Screamin' Swing is an excellent addition for Busch Gardens and the placement sounds awesome.