TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I think GAdv is past "needing" flats at this point. We have more than some of SF's most well-rounded parks, such as SFGAm, SFOT and SFFT. We got a dozen more than SFMM. We got more than major CF parks like KI, and about the same amount as Carowinds.

SF has done an awesome job the last few years of filling GAdv with much-needed non-coaster attractions. 2012 we got a flat package, 2013 SORA, 2014 Zumanjaro, 2015 El Diablo, 2017 Justice League and 2018 Cyborg. This is why I'd really like to see a coaster in the next year or 2. Considering the coaster removals and their replacements in the last 11 years, I really feel like our collection is worse now than it was in 2007.

I agree that the park has done a great job adding flats back into its lineup since 2012, but I don't know if I'd go so far to say the park is past needing flats just yet. From 2001-2007, the park removed 14 different flat rides, not to mention the second flume and Splashwater Falls. The Giant Discovery would make it 9 new rides since 2012 (assuming you count SORA). We're still way down from the most we've had back in 1999 at 32 (which even I think is unrealistic when seeing what it caused the last time around), but we're about 1-2 rides away from the average of 25 that we've had for most of the 80s and 90s, which I think is the sweet spot. An Endeavor and maybe a Troika / tilt-a-whirl would really help round out the remaining portion of the former Old Country section.

Edited by michaellynn4

A Zamperla Giant Discovery definitely is on my list of "things I really want at SFGAdv." So if this leak is accurate that is really exciting. Now since I am relocating to Houston, from Virginia next year I will be hoping one goes up at SFFT as well. Granted SFOT already has one.

Having just ridden Crazanity at SFMM, you guys will love getting one of these Giant Discoveries. I've been similar rides before like MaxAir at CP, but they just don't compare to the sheer size of Crazanity--and it looks like yours will be even bigger! There is great airtime at the apex of the swing and a definite free-falling sensation on the downswing. It's probably the best flat ride I've ever been on.

Went to the park for the first time this year yesterday. Toro leaped from my number 4 spot to my number 1 in my rankings. It was absolutely hauling! I rode it 20 times, with 18 of those in a single hour. Nitro was hauling as well. Cyborg was... well... interesting. It's probably the strangest flat I've ever done. Hopefully I'll be back for Holiday in the Park.

I rode it 20 times, with 18 of those in a single hour.

Looks like the Toro crew had quite an hour

They must have rolled every single train! 18 rides on that thing in one hour is highly impressive. (The ride can technically only send 36 trains an hour at most.)

Well, I'll definitely be making it back up there for HITP.

Just started a new job, so I can't take time off yet; BUT since my off days are Monday/Tuesday, I'll be able to make it up there either New Year's Eve OR New Year's Day.

For those who went to HITP last year, how were the crowds (I thought someone last year said crowds were decent, not big enough to warrant a FP purchase)? I do know that everything beyond the Boardwalk is closed for HITP; but hey, marathoning Nitro in cold weather =

Just started a new job, so I can't take time off yet; BUT since my off days are Monday/Tuesday, I'll be able to make it up there either New Year's Eve OR New Year's Day.

For those who went to HITP last year, how were the crowds (I thought someone last year said crowds were decent, not big enough to warrant a FP purchase)? I do know that everything beyond the Boardwalk is closed for HITP; but hey, marathoning Nitro in cold weather =

I went a couple seasons ago... the only rides that had substantial lines were Superman and Green Lantern.

Last year, the only coasters with lines were the two mistakes on the boardwalk. Batman and Nitro both were walk on-s, with rerides almost every train. Justice League and Skull Mountain were the only real lines, due to families escaping the cold.

World’s Tallest Pendulum Ride to Open at Six Flags Great Adventure in 2019

Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth Will Join Record-Breaking Thrill Lineup

JACKSON, N.J. ─ August 30, 2018 ─ Six Flags Great Adventure, the World’s Ultimate Thrill Park, in partnership with Warner Bros. Consumer Products on behalf of DC Entertainment, today announced that it will premiere the world’s tallest pendulum ride, Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth, in 2019. Towering at a staggering 17 stories tall, this jaw-dropping, spinning disk will reach speeds up to 75 miles-per-hour as it spins and swings to breathtaking heights.

“Innovation is part of the Six Flags DNA and we deliver new, groundbreaking attractions every season,” said Park President John Winkler. “Wonder Woman is one of the world’s most iconic DC Super Heroes and we are thrilled to add this action-packed ride bearing her name to our Metropolis themed area.”

Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth is an oversized pendulum-shaped ride that will send guests on a dizzying journey to extreme heights. Highlights include:

- Massive, 17-story pendulum that swings back and forth;

- 40 riders propelled in counterclockwise circles;

- Speeds of nearly 75 miles per hour;

- Riders experience a feeling of weightlessness at 172 feet in the air; and

- Floorless seats that leave riders’ feet dangling as they whirl through the air.

Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth is expected to debut in the late spring of 2019. It will be located near the extremely popular, DC-branded attractions like Batman: The Ride, Cyborg Cyber Spin, Justice League: Battle for Metropolis and The Dark Knight Coaster.

For more information about Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth and next season at Six Flags Great Adventure, visit http://www.sixflags.com/greatadventure/attractions/newfor2019

359350283_SFGAdvWonderWomanRendering-AerialofMetropolis.thumb.jpg.2dde9fe0cfbd58e76a259c63f6974e00.jpg

731483197_SFGAdvWonderWomanRendering-Horizontalwideshotv2.thumb.jpg.0da6b409e1098d8b0466e54487f00658.jpg

1174020957_SFGAdvWonderWomanRendering-Horizontalwideshot.thumb.jpg.a12d71ade281cc0838bd4d8dd6e95daa.jpg

1513991522_SFGAdvWonderWomanRendering-RideEntrance.thumb.jpg.ed7d2c0e4e7cee9497acde782619d1ce.jpg

I echo Boldikus' booty-shaking, twerktastic reaction. These giant Discoveries are my favorite flat rides, and I'm super happy to finally have one a little closer to home than at Kennywood and SFNE -- and the world's tallest, no less? AWESOME.

This is exactly what I was hoping Great Adventure would get! Black Widow at a Kennywood is such a fun ride and this just stacks on top of Great Adventure’s already awesome collection! The placement in the park is perfect too!

I just want to say I AM SO F*CKING HYPE FOR THIS ADDITION. Coaster Schmoaster THIS IS WHAT I WANTED.

ME THIS MORNING:

[attachment=0]worst-places-to-twerk8.gif[/attachment]

Really nice addition, that's the 3rd year in a row they have added something new to that part of the park, it's really come along nicely now since it was basically a complete dead zone. Curious to see if the former stunt theater is the next thing that gets replaced since it's basically right next to where this ride is going and isn't used nearly enough.

I just want to say I AM SO F*CKING HYPE FOR THIS ADDITION. Coaster Schmoaster THIS IS WHAT I WANTED.

ME THIS MORNING:

Great addition. Pendulum rides are dope.

Seriously, I love Joker and I love Justice League, but I haven't been this hype for a GreatAdv addition since Zumanjaro. This is gonna be so sweet! Kudos to the park for really investing into this once-dead area of the park. Feels like yesterday we were complaining they needed to utilize all that space, and look at it now! I kinda feel like they should just retheme the entire Movietown/Metropolis area to DC Universe or whatever though.

This makes me really happy. I've been hoping for one of these for a while now, and it's going in a perfect location. The park has done an excellent job of revitalizing that section of the park over the last three years.

My only hope is that they continue the trend and fill out the last remaining part of the Old Country section with another small flat like an Endeavor and remove some of that fencing they put up along it. I appreciate that the park took the time to add some quick landscaping and cleaned it up a bit (not to mention starting to keep it open full-time now), but it'd be nice to see a return to the more open-style it had when Musik Express and Spin Meister were still in operation. Then that area, IMO, would be perfect.

A change from this:

to something back to this:

Photos from www.greatadventurehistory.com/.