TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR: ZACH AND EMILY'S FIRST TRIP TO KENNYWOOD ***PAGE 5***

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Kennywood's rides, but their operations definitely leave a lot to be desired. Every time I've visited that park, they move up the closing time up without much warning so I'm not surprised they'd close after all that rain. Their sister park (Lake Compounce) has been known to do the same thing after rain and will close with as little as a 5 minute warning.

Dude I was dying in my chair at work reading the end of your TR. If I had that rough of a day at a park I'd certainly slowly start to lose my grip on sanity by the end, too.

My ex and I had a pretty fun time at the park when we went five years ago, but even then you could tell that, IMO, the park tends to coast a bit too much on its "historic" laurels. I know a couple other parks do staggered openings, too (BGW comes to mind), but nowhere near as bad as Kennywood does. If they tighten up their operations a bit more it'd be a lot more of an enjoyable experience.

Bummer about Kennywood, but great read as usual. I was *this close* to stopping in yesterday on the way back from a weekend KD/SFA trip, but opted to get a few more hours out of the Cedar Point pass in what was likely the last chance I'd get this season. Looking forward to the Knoebels/Hershey installments.

hate to say that it was enjoyable reading thru your frustration. . but I did laugh out loud reading a couple of times.

It sucks when stuff like that happens, but it sounds like you have a sense of humor about it.

and I know you had a great stop at the next park, so started out rough, but got better.

Thanks for the positive reviews, guys. I'm glad you enjoyed my TR.

Emily and I just didn't quite understand the closure. There were still a ton of people within the park and the weather was absolutely beautiful after 6am, with four more potential hours of operation ahead. I believe the storm lasted a little over an hour, maybe an hour and a half. That said, I'm on the outside looking in. I'm do not have knowledge of the totality of the circumstances. If anyone should not be not make judgement without knowing all of the facts, it should be me. We missed out on Kennywood, clear and simple. After the anger wore off I fell back on the old attitude of, "You can't win em' all." We used to have flawless luck with weather, but over the past couple years we've been screwed pretty often.

Damn dude, that's a really bad day! I had a day that was about half that bad at Kennywood a couple years ago and am not planning on going back there anytime soon again due to it. Their operations are absolutely horrific and I don't find the rides to be outstanding enough to endure the possible torture of melting for hours on end. Oh well, better luck next time for us both.

Thanks for the positive reviews, guys. I'm glad you enjoyed my TR.

Emily and I just didn't quite understand the closure. There were still a ton of people within the park and the weather was absolutely beautiful after 6am, with four more potential hours of operation ahead. I believe the storm lasted a little over an hour, maybe an hour and a half. That said, I'm on the outside looking in. I'm do not have knowledge of the totality of the circumstances. If anyone should not be not make judgement without knowing all of the facts, it should be me. We missed out on Kennywood, clear and simple. After the anger wore off I fell back on the old attitude of, "You can't win em' all." We used to have flawless luck with weather, but over the past couple years we've been screwed pretty often.

we had a similar experience at Busch Gardens Tampa - in January.

They closed the park four hours early due to low attendance caused by bad weather in the morning with a few hours notice.

The sad part is they were giving out free return passes like water on the way out. We were encouraged by multiple employees to go to guest services to get them. If you pushed they were willing to refund admission instead.

When it was our turn to get return tickets they basically admitted it was cheaper to comp everyone remaining than fully operate the park for four more hours.

Makes business sense but as a Canadian who only get to that park once every three to four years - I would have rather had the extra hours.

Sucks. This is the second time this has happened to us in a year. SFGam closed for weather four hours into our visit, despite the weather starting out crappy when they opened and progressively getting better. Luckily, we visit there frequently. It's only 4-5 hours from home so we make weekend trips of it. That was a blatant money saving closure. This seemed a bit different. The storm closed operations for maybe an hour or so. When the weather cleared there was still a ton of people within the park and the parking lot looked as it did just before we left. Oh well. Sorry to hear you got the shaft on your BGT trip. I know how it feels.