Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

P. 1230: Cheetah Chase launched racing slides announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Postby JRHcoasterki » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 pm

I don't post on the forum very often, but I just made my first trip to Holiday World this weekend so I thought I would share a mini report!

Overall, I thought the park was super lovely. My family and I are from Ohio and had been wanting to visit for a long time. My mom had actually been as a kid when it was still known as Santa Claus Land, so she enjoyed seeing the crazy growth and expansion since she had last visited! The whole park was extremely clean and well-maintained, and every employee my family encountered was pleasant and competent! The free soft drinks are awesome, wish more parks did this! In terms of food, we ate a full-on Thanksgiving meal at Plymouth Rock Cafe that was truly great, I can't say I've ever said that when eating at a park! Seriously, it was worth every penny. Also, definitely splurged on a cinnamon roll funnel cake that was absolutely heavenly. No complaints.

Now, in terms of rides. First, we stopped at Legend, which was a fun time but a bit too uncomfortable for my liking. Had a few good rib slams into the car that were not the most enjoyable. We circled back and rode Raven next, which I loved! It had a solid amount of roughness but definitely bearable and just added to the wild nature of the ride. Loved how it disappears into the woods and would have loved to have ridden it in the dark. After these two, we made the trek back to ride Voyage. Now, I was really looking forward to this, I had heard so much about it, and I was prepared for a wild ride. I also had read a few different accounts that it was running more on the smooth side this year, which made me pretty optimistic. Well, I am aware that I'm not the most experienced rider, and I probably haven't experienced true roughness, but omg. That thing hurt. I mean bone-shaking, skull-rattling, giant pothole hurt. I rode twice to see if maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset or something, but no, it was rough. I don't mean to bash on the ride at all, I can see how it could be amazing, the layout was crazy and never-ending. But, unfortunately all I wanted during the second-half was for it to end. So, after Voyage, we decided we needed some reliably smooth B&M goodness to soothe the headaches, so we walked back to Thunderbird. The whole ride area looks great and I loved the queue. We didn't get to take a close look at anything because lines were short, but all the bits of theming seemed of high quality and it was obvious the park made a great effort for the ride. The ride itself was great, super smooth and graceful with a nice amount of intensity. I've only ridden one other wing coaster which was GateKeeper, and I can say they are really solid and fun rides. We re-rode a bunch of times which I always think is a positive thing to be able to do.

Anyway, just wanted to share some thoughts about the park. Again, we had a great time! The predicted weather held out and crowds were light! We are for sure going to come back and check out Splashin' Safari, it looked like a really great water park! =)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:27 am

Awesome, glad you liked it! You're not the only one to have mentioned roughness om the wood coasters, especially in August. I've only ever been to this park for Holiwood Nights. That's how I first experienced it, and it was such a great event that I keep coming back for it. The wood coasters are fantastic in June, but they are all so aggressive that I don't doubt by August they beat themselves up. Legend has very strong laterals, and PTCs don't turn very easily, so that's got to hurt it.

Yes, come back for Splashin' Safari. It's one of the best waterparks anywhere. They have free sunscreen and they let you wear water shoes onto all the slides, so no chance of burning your feet. Maybe come back just after Splashin' Safari opens next year so you can experience it along with the wood coasters just after offseason retracking.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Moomin719 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:52 am

I have to agree the husband and I are on our 10 year anniversary trip and stopped at holiday world on Saturday and I was very impressed with the park. As was mentioned clean and friendly. Lines were very little to no wait. Water park was great. Had some fudge and a big cookie, from Mrs. Claus kitchen. Can't wait to bring kids maybe next year. Also loved they had plug in for electric hybrids.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:59 am

I'm ashamed that even living in Chicago, I have not yet made it to Holiday World. It's on the list.
I thought they generally did a good job keeping their wooden coasters running relatively well -- sounds like Voyage may need some work (probably gets some work every off-season anyway).

Postby prozach626 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:03 pm

There are definitely ways to make Voyage, Raven, and Legend feel more smooth in terms of lubrication. Too bad it's a solution considered not family friendly enough.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:12 pm

They keep all their woodies maintained, just at weird intervals. Depending when you ride them, any of the three may be unbearably rough or super smooth.

Voyage was the smoothest when I was there, then Legend (which had just been reprofiled, but I'm not a fan of its layout at all), then Raven (which was ridiculously rough despite having an awesome layout). Some people have had opposite findings. Traditional wooden coasters are weird that way (disclaimer: this probably only applies outside of Elysburg, PA, but as I have never been to Elysburg, PA, I can't confirm firsthand)
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby JT325 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:52 pm

TurnOfTheCentury wrote:I'm ashamed that even living in Chicago, I have not yet made it to Holiday World. It's on the list.

Oh yeah, you need to get down there. Holiwood Nights is the best time for people like us. They spoil us. Rotten.

The only bad thing about Holiday World is that it can make other parks look... whats the word.. cruddy. Same goes for Holiwood Nights; other events generally pale in comparison. I know ACE had an very long standing event down in Georgia (SFOG Spring Fling, I believe) finally cancelled after they didn't have enough people register. Holiday World shows you how great a park can be operated.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:55 pm

JT325 wrote:
TurnOfTheCentury wrote:I'm ashamed that even living in Chicago, I have not yet made it to Holiday World. It's on the list.

Oh yeah, you need to get down there. Holiwood Nights is the best time for people like us. They spoil us. Rotten.

Seconded. I've never seen anyone go all out for an enthusiast event like they do. The level of hospitality is far too good for the enthusiasts who attend, but they rock it every year.

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby JT325 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:16 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:The level of hospitality is far too good for the enthusiasts who attend

Hey now, some of us are very well behaved ;) There will always be bad apples... shame on them.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:but they rock it every year.

And how! It's such a great time, I took 12 family members a couple years ago and they all loved the place - including the non-coaster riders.
Cedar Point Frontier Lift 2020

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby coasterlvr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:21 pm

TurnOfTheCentury wrote: sounds like Voyage may need some work (probably gets some work every off-season anyway).

didn't Voyage get a lot of the return retracked this past off season? that was the only part that bothered me. loved the front row night ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!