TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sesame Place Discussion Thread

It's a no brainer if you have a SeaWorld/Busch season pass. Otherwise it's a pretty expensive pit stop ($80 amdission plus $20 parking).

Yup, I'm a platinum pass holder so that's the only reason I'd make a quick stop for a few rides, wouldn't make a special trip out of it either but have some family in the area as well so maybe at some point.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

They take a few paragraphs to set up the emotional stakes, so I've clipped out the real news part of the story. You can read the whole thing here:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/07/06/health/sesame-place-autism-certification/index.html

Theme parks, other family destinations accommodate families with autism

...[T]he "cherry on top" is the new designation as a Certified Autism Center, which makes Sesame Place the first theme park in the world to receive that distinction from the International Board of Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards. To earn the certification, the board requires at least 80% of a park's staff to complete rigorous training on autism sensitivity and awareness.

According to Meredith Tekin, the board's vice president of sales and marketing, "the Certified Autism Center designation is awarded to premier organizations around the globe who have completed rigorous training and meet the highest industry standards, including onsite reviews to make grounds and activities more accommodating as well as staff awareness and sensitivity training." This designation gives parents, families and individuals "peace of mind" and "empowers staff," which improves everyone's experience, she said.

In addition to staff training, Sesame Place has created quiet rooms: small, dimly lit spaces with comfortable armchairs and sensory bead mazes on the walls to provide a break from the stimulation. The park also offers noise-canceling headphones as well as designated "low-sensory zones" along a parade route and in theaters. Guests who may struggle with standing in line or require special assistance boarding a ride can also use a fast pass called Abby's Magic Queue....

• 1 month later...

Sooooo.... who thought Oscars Wacky Taxi had no air? And what crack are you on?

To be fair, it was hot humid and rainy today but jesus god that coaster is legit. I truly can't get over how much bullsh*t nuts ejector air we got. So good, I'm a huge fan. My first ever GG coaster too.

Totally crazy for a kids/family ride. I went with my sister and my 5 year old (budding enthusiast) nephew. One of his biggest coasters yet and he loved it - we all did. She lives nearby and took him over earlier this summer and he had cold feet, but was determined to ride with me today. She sat in the front with him and me behind them, so I couldn't see his reactions. I was hoping for good air but once we shot out of the tunnel and hit those back to back to back to back pops I was thinking he was probably hating life but once we pulled in and got out he had a huge cheesey grin and said he loved it. He's been a little had to predict as he likes certain coasters (Wild Whizzer, Flitzer) but hates others (Rollies, Runaway Mine Train) so I was especially pleased he enjoyed a little airtime machine. My response to him was "wait til you get a load of El Toro, bud!" He's only three inches away.

You know what else they have thats crazy for a kids ride? Their mini troika thing. Holy f*ck they run that thing hard. We all loved it though.

You know what else they have thats crazy for a kids ride Their mini troika thing. Holy f*ck they run that thing hard. We all loved it though.

That ride is pretty intense for a kids park, we just went on the flying machine at BGW and it wasn't nearly as intense and also much shorter. My daughter was not impressed with the BGW one after riding the SP one in June.

^ I too was stunned Honker Dinger Derby was that intense. The cycle was pretty short last year though.

^^ Glad you liked Oscar's Wacky Taxi. I rode it the second weekend it was open and even though it was much cooler, it had air on every single hill.

^ Yes. I love that the license plate on the back says "SCRAM".

The recording of him telling everyone to beat it when the ride was over is also hilarious and wonderful.

You know what else they have thats crazy for a kids ride? Their mini troika thing. Holy f*ck they run that thing hard. We all loved it though.

They got it from Busch Gardens Tampa. I want it back...lol Falcon's Fury replaced it. Good replacement, but I loved that ride. It was the only other flat at the park worth riding (to me).

My wife isn't a coaster person in the slightest. She barely tolerates them and frequently sits out whenever she sees something that's a little too tall for her. There's been a few exceptions in the past, but mostly for the bobsled style of coasters like Flying Turns and Avalanche.

We hit up Sesame Place a few weekends ago with both of the kids, and a friend of ours with his 6 year old son also tagged along. Since my daughter hit 40", she was able to ride both of Sesame's coasters, and of course as soon as she saw that green behemoth sitting in the parking lot, she knew she wanted to do that first thing. The wife was a little nervous, but didn't want to be the only one out of the six of us to sit it out, and so she joined us in line. Ten minutes later, we were sitting down in the three middle cars, and before she had a chance to change her mind, she was locked in next to my son while I sat with my little girl, and we were off up that lift hill.

Spoiler alert: she f*cking LOVED it. The smoothness of the ride combined with the thrilling layout and custom Timberliner trains with the pseudo-wings up on the sides helped alleviate her fear of heights and ultimately contributed to her most enjoyable experience on a traditional coaster to date.

Some choice quotes of hers from memory:

- "What the hell just happened?"

- "That ride has NO right to be called a kiddie coaster."

- "Where did all that airtime come from?"

- "Yeah, I'll ride it again!"

- "Can I get a magnet? Actually, can I get two? One for the fridge at home and one for my drawer at work."

Unfortunately she had no such love for Vapor Trail, but hey, baby steps. I'll take the wins where I can get them.

(Oh yeah, the kids loved it too. LOL!)

Funny, my nephew hated Vapor Trail (aka Helix: The Ride) too, got off crying. After confusingly quizzing him, said it was because the "car didn't have doors" which we laughed at because neither did Wacky Taxi. I said "its OK bud, I hate Vekomas too"

Sooooo.... who thought Oscars Wacky Taxi had no air? And what crack are you on?

To be fair, it was hot humid and rainy today but jesus god that coaster is legit. I truly can't get over how much bullsh*t nuts ejector air we got. So good, I'm a huge fan. My first ever GG coaster too.

I did! No crack! Maybe I'll give it a 3rd try.

^ If you believe my sister, that happens every day.

Seriously though, she lives less than 10 minutes away and works down the block, and goes 2-3 times every season and always moans about how insanely packed it always is (noteworthy, she has a Six Flags pass and goes there as well). She originally wanted me to take a day off work to go on a weekday, but I wasn't going to lose a days pay or waste vacation time for that. We jumped at the chance to go yesterday due to chance of showers all day, but even though she noted that it wasn't as crowded as usual, it was still pretty busy imo. Even with the rain on/off, all the rides and the waterslide/play areas were open and holding 10-20 minute waits, and when we checked on Wacky Taxis wait while leaving (in hopes for one quick last ride) we found the line to be spilling out of the queue.

For sure. Its also a really small park, with the two coasters up front, and the majority of the flats confined to that one section off to the right of the "street", so I'm sure that helps in making it feel very busy. In any case, I'm glad we went on a crappy day, I can't imagine what it must be like on a beautiful weather day.

Even scarier the original waterslides near the flats are not even close to kid friendly.

typical 70s craziness. I loved them. My five year was shaking after.

Those water slides looked really unassuming. It's a shame I missed them.