Hey Fatties! LISTEN UP!!!

Advice we always give about fitting on roller coasters.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Hey Fatties! LISTEN UP!!!

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:19 pm

This is not the first time I've seen someone ask for advice about a bigger rider fitting into coasters. During TPR's ERT sessions I see quite often people won't fit and it's not even due to their size, it's due to other factors that could easily be avoided and you'll fit with fewer or no problems at all. Read below and if you're a bigger person at all, consider using these helpful tips next time you ride...

skyrocket010 wrote:Apparently I’m too fat for steel vengeance lol my first ever walk of shame. I feel like I was nearly there and if I would’ve given it a little more effort I would’ve made it. But I didn’t want to be inconsiderate and hold people up since we had already waited an eternity. Any tips you larger guys could give that may work for when you come close to fitting on a ride?? I would like to try it one more time before I leave it’s the main reason I came.

- Were you wearing a belt? Take it off.
- Did you have ANYTHING in your pocket at all? Take EVERYTHING out of your pockets.
- Did you make sure the seat belt buckle wasn't right under where the bar needed to push down?
- Pull your shirt up a bit and make sure the material on your shirt and/or shorts isn't bunching up causing that bar not to go down just a little bit more.
- Lift your gut over the bar
- Scan the crew before you sit down. Make sure you're sitting on a side where it looks like the op could put more strength into pushing your bar down.

These are often the most common things I see during our ERT sessions when people can't fit. 99% of the time one of these things will resolve that issue.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Hey Fatties! LISTEN UP!!!

Postby bert425 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:29 pm

:nina: :nina:
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby Sportsdude360 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:35 pm

I have seen the walk of shame many times on New Texas Giant and Iron Rattler. Fortunately for me however, I'm 6'2" 185lbs. I seem to have the perfect body mass for a coaster enthusiast. I feel good knowing I can ride any coaster without issue. But I feel genuinely sorry for those who can't as I've often seen them crying over in the "Chicken Coop".

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Sportsdude360 wrote:But I feel genuinely sorry for those who can't as I've often seen them crying over in the "Chicken Coop".

I don't.

Speaking as a bigger guy myself, you either need to "be smart" about getting into a train to have the best possible chance to ride, or... if you get to the point where you really cannot ride due to your weight, do something about it. There's been a couple of times in my life where I've come close to having an issue and I immediately did something about it.

In almost 100% of the cases, if you can't fit on a ride then that is YOUR FAULT and you need to do something about it if you want to keep riding roller coasters. Don't blame the park or anyone other than YOURSELF.

The only other reason would be if you have some sort of medical issue, and in those cases, perhaps you shouldn't be riding roller coasters in the first place?

I'll bet at least 50% of those people who you've seen get the "Walk of Shame". if not more, probably wouldn't if they were just a bit smarter about riding by following some of the advice above. I mean, for example, we've had even seasoned "big guys" on our tours where I'll go to help them with a lap bar and I'll see the seat belt buckle RIGHT UNDER the lap bar stopping it from going down further. I'll be like "DUDE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING??!?!" and they'll move the seatbelt buckle and they'll get the green light just fine.

And like, if you're a big guy, and you've got a huge honkin wallet in your back pocket that is 1-2 inches thick (and trust me I've seen this) PUT THE WALLET OFF TO THE SIDE OR IN A fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo!!! Or if you're wearing a belt that is even a 1/2 inch thick belt buckle. All these are EASY things that can help you fit better on rides.
Last edited by robbalvey on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:11 pm.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Kemotblue » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:15 pm

Myself If I take the walk of shame. Then that coaster becomes a goal coaster for me. I will work hard to lose weight to ride my goal coaster. Right now that goal coaster is Time Traveler and Outlaw Run. I know what I have to do lose and be able to ride those coasters. 45 lbs. So by next year my goal is to lose that much weight. I'm going to buy a season pass since I spent the money to ride those coaster. Then I will have more ambition to reach my goal. I don't like too waste money. I had to take the walk of shame once on Titan at Six Flags Over Texas. New Texas Giant was the second coaster but it had a test seat. the It took me a couple of trips before I sat in that test seat at NTAG entrance before I got the Green light. Titan took a few extra trips before I was able to ride that coaster. The ride operator of Titan gave me a good tip. Make sure nothing is in your back pockets and that when you sit down sit straight up with your back end tightly against the back of the seat. It worked for me. I was able to ride. It took a few more trips before I lost enough that I didn't feel sandwiched into the restraint. You know what reaching those goals it was nice to be able to sit down and ride my goal coaster. My new Goal coasters are Time Traveler and Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:38 am

^^ Awesome advise, Robb!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:00 am

Exactly. I ONLY blame myself. Not the park, not the manufacturer, not Hostess or KCF, not even the way the sun hits.... only myself.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby fraroc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:24 am

Kemotblue wrote:Myself If I take the walk of shame. Then that coaster becomes a goal coaster for me. I will work hard to lose weight to ride my goal coaster. Right now that goal coaster is Time Traveler and Outlaw Run. I know what I have to do lose and be able to ride those coasters. 45 lbs. So by next year my goal is to lose that much weight. I'm going to buy a season pass since I spent the money to ride those coaster. Then I will have more ambition to reach my goal. I don't like too waste money. I had to take the walk of shame once on Titan at Six Flags Over Texas. New Texas Giant was the second coaster but it had a test seat. the It took me a couple of trips before I sat in that test seat at NTAG entrance before I got the Green light. Titan took a few extra trips before I was able to ride that coaster. The ride operator of Titan gave me a good tip. Make sure nothing is in your back pockets and that when you sit down sit straight up with your back end tightly against the back of the seat. It worked for me. I was able to ride. It took a few more trips before I lost enough that I didn't feel sandwiched into the restraint. You know what reaching those goals it was nice to be able to sit down and ride my goal coaster. My new Goal coasters are Time Traveler and Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City.

Also, I think its a smart idea to hear from other larger enthusiasts and hear their experiences with certain coasters, which is why I'm pretty grateful this thread exists.

I've heard a lot of people saying that Twisted Timbers is pretty restrictive twoards those of a larger size, so thats why I decided to forego Kings Dominion this year, go to Hershey instead, and try to get my weight down from 285 to hopefully 255 and get my waist down from 45 inches to 40 inches by the time next summer comes around.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:43 am

My usual weight was 75kg, went down to 68KG for my wedding and ballooned to 96KG for a variety of reasons after my son was born over the next 2 years (working a second job to knock down the mortgage meant too little exercise, sleep and way too much junk food for one). I got my first walk of shame on an aqualoop 2 months ago (thankfully after 10 minutes in the inspection line and not the 40 minute slide line) because I can't get my wedding ring off my finger anymore and they're really strict about jewellery and clothes to prevent slidebacks (Saw a few girls turned away who had a bra not a swimsuit under their t-shirt since all clothing bar shorts and swimsuits have to be stowed). That was my wake up call to make me lose weight since my son is starting to want to go on the small children's rides now and obviously can't go alone since well for one he's two :p but also he hasn't quite mastered the understanding of I can't stand up when a ride is in motion and I'd hate for him to miss out on rides because his daddy can't fit below the bar. Especially since Asia can be a bit more restrictive, I know there's a couple of rides in China i'd be turned away from.

Definitely will keep these tips in mind since my wallet really sticks out from my pockets.
Last edited by Garet on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:09 am.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:07 am

fraroc wrote:I've heard a lot of people saying that Twisted Timbers is pretty restrictive twoards those of a larger size, so thats why I decided to forego Kings Dominion this year

Wow, really? We didn't have anyone that had any sort of issue with Twisted Timbers at all. In fact, I felt it might have been one of the LESS restrictive RMC's towards bigger riders.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!