TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

Given Cedar Fair's efforts to address aging coasters and improve parks from within, is anyone else surprised that this new coaster is coming before a Vortex or Hurler transformation?

Yes and no. As far as Hurler goes, isn't this the only full size wooden coaster offering in the park? It doesn't surprise me that it's sticking around, rough or not. If we're talking Vortex, can anyone speak for Patriot's popularity? I'm asking, because I know over the past 5 days spend within CP since the transformation Rougaru has been a walk-on even on busy days. Granted it's a capacity monster, but I think the moderate amount of head banging steers people away. Even riding in the middle train I've yet to have an enjoyable ride on Rougaru. My wife also doesn't like it.

^I cannot speak for the original Vortex at CGA, but Patriot was a complete walk-on (and I *literally* mean walk-on) all day on a Wednesday a couple weeks ago when both Railblazer and Gold Striker had healthy lines (granted, these are both lower capacity than Patriot).

To be honest, I feel that if anything were to happen to this Vortex anytime soon, Carowinds would simply scrap the ride, or relocate it to another CF park (maybe MA or Valleyfair) and convert it to a Floorless on the way. I think Floorless-ing CGA Vortex was a stretch, and at a park like Carowinds with bigger coasters than CGA, would Floorless-ing Vortex even be marketable or beneficial?

I'm sure it would be better than its current state as a Stand-Up, but Patriot is by no means a "good" ride. Part of me wishes CGA just scrapped the thing and put in something else.

With that being said, I think the case for Rougarou is a little different since the coaster is much bigger and actually really fun now (I GREATLY prefer it to Mantis). These smaller Stand-Ups though? I don't know.

While I'm glad this coaster is coming over a Vortex revamp, I do think Carowind's Vortex has one of the better, more unique stand-up layouts. It's just that the trains suck and rattle like crazy. CGA's layout, however, was always lame.

When I was there last week, I walked onto Vortex front row. I think i was the only one on the train. It was bad, but not as bad as Iron Wolf was. Carolina Goldrusher was running rougher than Vortex that night. I'm genuinely curious as to how much of a difference the floorless train would make. It'll be interesting to see what (if anything) the park does with it.

I hate to speculate on the success of a park's investment because it's a slippery slope that leads to rumors getting repeated and then being accepted as fact (see: Cedar Fair will never work with Intamin again) but like... I don't know...

Mantis did 925,667 riders in it's final season. By it's second season Rougarou was already pulled from Early Entry and it did under a million riders so there was basically no change despite going from 2 trains to 3 and dramatically improving capacity.

Rougarou in theory should probably have better capacity than every coaster in the park except for Gatekeeper, Gemeni and possibly Magnum and Millennium Force. I'd imagine it would even be ahead of Raptor in reality since Raptor's bins exist and god damn do they ever create a sh*tshow for anyone trying to sit in rows one and two.

So in it's second season despite it's amazing capacity, Rougarou did less riders than Gatekeeper, Millennium Force, Valravn (with a 24 passenger train), Magnum, Raptor, Sky Ride, Gemeni, the Railroad, Dragster despite it's low capacity, inability to run in rain, inability to run in wind and massive amounts of downtime and Maverick which holds 12 riders per train and breaks constantly (though at least it gets Early Entry which Rougarou does not). There were other rides that could have beat it too but stats aren't available. Honestly I feel like Iron Dragon would be right there.

That's pathetic and it's absolutely based on popularity because it has the capacity to beat Valravn, Dragster and Maverick handily and it should probably beat Raptor too (especially because Raptor closes for wind more than any coaster in the park except maybe Dragster and Rougarou will literally run in anything). It's not a capacity issue and it's not a downtime issue, it's just not that popular.

As for Patriot, I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of that park but we went on a busy day where we needed Fastlane and walked straight on to row one of that dumpster fire of a ride and we were the only ones on the train. It sounds like everyone else is reporting similar results.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a floorless conversion. It could happen, but it's not exactly doing wonders for the popularity of these rides. Cheer up though, Patriot is a trash ride anyway.

Came back from my Carowinds/Charlotte visit a few weeks ago. My schedule's been a nightmare lately, so I haven't had much time to get around to picking out any of half-decent photos I took and editing and cropping them. Really, REALLY enjoyed my time down there. I was glad I stayed the better part of a week, which gave me the opportunity to check out more than just the park. There's so much cool stuff to do in the greater Charlotte area. I'm certainly no Invertalon, but I thought I'd share a few highlights with you folks, anyway:

DSC_0004.thumb.JPG.e13b13169ff0da8b5612c7487dc6eac7.JPG

The Clarion Inn across the way is a so-so hotel overall, but decent for the price, plus it's hard to beat THIS view.

DSC_0026.thumb.JPG.c0298b13682fe9add6393551b931cee5.JPG

The Piedmont Prairie Trail nearby is a great place to go birding (one of my many hobbies), and check out cool birds like this eastern phoebe...

DSC_0075.thumb.JPG.8c165a0c5adf6b1fb061555581d22eeb.JPG

...or this ruby-throated hummingbird...

DSC_0526.thumb.JPG.63371d950ddfaf09c8f5a8189ee0fcba.JPG

...or this common yellowthroat.

DSC_0227.thumb.JPG.248e660087a9df759388c5dc9fae3371.JPG

Okay okay, enough birds. Sun's out, tongues out!

DSC_0267.thumb.JPG.ec8e7df7132261604ffb6d8734f5fbd7.JPG

One of my favorites from the trip. One dude in front with his hands open (but eyes tight shut), and another dude elbowing the hell out of the girl next to him. Amazing.

DSC_0270.thumb.JPG.09284476aa381ab51962ca746f89b187.JPG

Entrance sign. I wish they'd take a cue from Kings Dominion and use their original park logo (even though it kinda sucks), since using the Cedar Fair font for all of the parks seems a bit, I don't know, tacky?

DSC_0277.thumb.JPG.489ee4a77fa81ca0734ee0b883fed0b2.JPG

Afterburn! There, um... aren't a lot of great places to get shots of Afterburn, I think. The south gate was closed, so I couldn't go down there without ostensibly attracting the attention of security. Lastly, shark train = best train.

DSC_0298.thumb.JPG.e0499dfb00a97000320ac644a4e4a548.JPG

Panning shot!

DSC_0331.thumb.JPG.c8e8ef9284cafaaed300f1e51feedeb1.JPG

God, I love this element.

DSC_0344.thumb.JPG.9a6611182690d37bb4eaf87b50b819d3.JPG

BLURRRRRRRRRR

DSC_0371.thumb.JPG.2ee118dbe32b072325ba9387be285e09.JPG

Piplup and pikachu party!

DSC_0374.thumb.JPG.9fc65c87a63ff0acbfb3d23ae1bf6734.JPG

Staring contest with the hornet. He always wins. Jerk.

DSC_0417.thumb.JPG.51a71cc7b53273e13fb6d8d5cf3e7718.JPG

Late day airtime. Trim brakes or not, those last three hills are MONEY.

DSC_0428.thumb.JPG.7e460bd4d260b74aa677e99bc5f216bd.JPG

Always love taking long-exposures of WindSeeker and seeing what sort of colors show up.

DSC_0430.thumb.JPG.aee10339981fe6a2eb2d66747fc6861b.JPG

Red and blue ain't your thing? No problem, here's some green for ya.

DSC_0475.thumb.JPG.2b1979d8ef4a39a1abdc280d620074ba.JPG

Fury. So, so pretty at night. Wish I took this with a little less clutter (read: people) around, but I still dig it.

DSC_0484.thumb.JPG.28da9038387190e65cb4e3dbc8ff043f.JPG

Okay, last shot, I promise. I thought Electro Spin was pretty rad; somewhat reminiscent of Chaos. Also a fun ride to take long-exposure shots of.

I hate to speculate on the success of a park's investment because it's a slippery slope that leads to rumors getting repeated and then being accepted as fact (see: Cedar Fair will never work with Intamin again) but like... I don't know...

Mantis did 925,667 riders in it's final season. By it's second season Rougarou was already pulled from Early Entry and it did under a million riders so there was basically no change despite going from 2 trains to 3 and dramatically improving capacity.

Rougarou in theory should probably have better capacity than every coaster in the park except for Gatekeeper, Gemeni and possibly Magnum and Millennium Force. I'd imagine it would even be ahead of Raptor in reality since Raptor's bins exist and god damn do they ever create a sh*tshow for anyone trying to sit in rows one and two.

So in it's second season despite it's amazing capacity, Rougarou did less riders than Gatekeeper, Millennium Force, Valravn (with a 24 passenger train), Magnum, Raptor, Sky Ride, Gemeni, the Railroad, Dragster despite it's low capacity, inability to run in rain, inability to run in wind and massive amounts of downtime and Maverick which holds 12 riders per train and breaks constantly (though at least it gets Early Entry which Rougarou does not). There were other rides that could have beat it too but stats aren't available. Honestly I feel like Iron Dragon would be right there.

That's pathetic and it's absolutely based on popularity because it has the capacity to beat Valravn, Dragster and Maverick handily and it should probably beat Raptor too (especially because Raptor closes for wind more than any coaster in the park except maybe Dragster and Rougarou will literally run in anything). It's not a capacity issue and it's not a downtime issue, it's just not that popular.

As for Patriot, I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse of that park but we went on a busy day where we needed Fastlane and walked straight on to row one of that dumpster fire of a ride and we were the only ones on the train. It sounds like everyone else is reporting similar results.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a floorless conversion. It could happen, but it's not exactly doing wonders for the popularity of these rides. Cheer up though, Patriot is a trash ride anyway.

I think that the problems that cause low ridership on rougarou boils down to 2 big issues.

1. Believe it or not, a lot of people think it's still a standup coaster. We were talking about cp at work, and everyone thought that it was still a standup coaster with a new theme.

2. The parks coaster collection. If you placed rougarou in most other parks, it would be one of the more popular coasters. But when you put it in a park with dragster, millennium force, maverick, steel vengeance, raptor, valravin, and a handful of other decent coaster....well, you do the math.

2. The parks coaster collection. If you placed rougarou in most other parks, it would be one of the more popular coasters. But when you put it in a park with dragster, millennium force, maverick, steel vengeance, raptor, valravin, and a handful of other decent coaster....well, you do the math.

This is very true! If CP had moved Rougarou to almost any other park in the chain (with the exception of KD, for obvious reasons), it would immediately become one of the most popular coasters there! To say the CP spoils its patrons when it comes to roller coaster thrills, is an understatement.

Card - those pictures are fantastic! Some of the angles you got of the park are really neat, like the Caro sign with Fury in the background. I especially love the one at the top of the treble clef since it really captures how insane that particular moment is. I know nothing about birds but your photos of them are excellent as well so thanks for including them.

Roll out of station, 42 mph launch in 2.5 seconds, hit a brake run second launch goes from 35-50mph in 2 seconds flat. Top speed, 53 mph, length 3,255 ft. 2 min 24 second ride time,16 riders per train. Ride centered around making moonshine in an inconspicuous place which is what the station could be themed after. Moonshine being made, Copperhead Strike.

No snakes nor moonshine were harmed in the making of this post . . .

^I think the 16 passenger train gives it away more than anything right?

I didn't even think about that. I took a quick look at all of the other spinning coasters and with the exception of Turbulence, you're right they're 16 passenger trains.

Icon also has 16-passenger trains. I think it's pretty much 50/50 being spinning or not, and I would be completely happy either way to be honest.

giphy.gif

I don't think its a spinner because the "stiring" sounds like the layout and the labeling on time traveler was x-treme and the labeling on this one is just dual launch.

Great use of a double-entendre lol.