TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

I'll be at the park a week from Tuesday for my first time. Any tips for a first time visitor? And someone please tell me Comet is open. That's pretty much the whole reason we're making a little detour on our way to New England parks.

I was there on Tuesday for the first time and Comet was open the day (great ride might I add!). Unfortunately it's one of the only good rides at the park.

Many rides were closed for me though, including Extreme Supernova, Alpine Bobsleds, and Condor.

I would recommend getting Flashback out of the way first as the queue is very slow and it is close to the front of park. Apart from that queues are normally short. I must say, the park has a great atmosphere and appearance compared to other SF parks though.

I'll be at the park a week from Tuesday for my first time. Any tips for a first time visitor? And someone please tell me Comet is open. That's pretty much the whole reason we're making a little detour on our way to New England parks.

If Alpine Bobsled is open, ride it when the line is short. The park otherwise does not have long queues. Blizzard is a fun indoor Scrambler ride; check it out. And don't discount the walk-through attractions. Alice in Wonderland is a nice break from the rides and a blast from the past. The walk through cave in Ghost Town is perhaps unexciting but fun. Take your time and explore the park, there are lots of things to check out beyond the rides.

Blizzard can get a bit of a long, slow-moving line but it usually tops out at 30 minutes.

A lot was closed today- Alpine Bobsled, Flying Trapeze, Condor, Desperado Plunge, and Extreme Supernova. The latter had a cherry picker set-up next to it and fresh caution tape set up around it that wasn't there on Saturday night.

IMG_20180729_160025.thumb.jpg.baafd0a11fce21d7e0b822f17904ab10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There's finally some life. It's done a couple test runs. We've done everything else in the park so we're just gonna wait and see.

Edit: Finally opened, we're sitting on the train ready to go and it goes down because of lightning in the area. Can't win.

Edit 2: Finally rode it! Wooden coaster perfection. Smooth, air time filled, and pretty quick. Got one ride in the front seat on the first train of the day and then a second ride in the very last row on what turned out to be the last train of the day because they shut it down for a private event at 6.

With that, it was a great day at the park. This is definitely the most visually appealing six flags park, so much so it doesn't feel like a six flags park at all. Very nice family park. I'll post some pictures later!

^ Flying Trapeze was closed with its base open a few weeks ago and Condor was also closed. I don't think either of those two were open on my visit last year either.

There's finally some life. It's done a couple test runs. We've done everything else in the park so we're just gonna wait and see.

Edit: Finally opened, we're sitting on the train ready to go and it goes down because of lightning in the area. Can't win.

Edit 2: Finally rode it! Wooden coaster perfection. Smooth, air time filled, and pretty quick. Got one ride in the front seat on the first train of the day and then a second ride in the very last row on what turned out to be the last train of the day because they shut it down for a private event at 6.

With that, it was a great day at the park. This is definitely the most visually appealing six flags park, so much so it doesn't feel like a six flags park at all. Very nice family park. I'll post some pictures later!

Glad you finally got on Comet. It really is a fantastic wooden coaster that holds its speed well and delivers plenty of air.

• 3 weeks later...

Six Flags Great Escape Resort, New York’s most thrilling resort property, will rebrand its outdoor waterpark as Hurricane Harbor for the 2019 season, offering guests a bigger, better and wetter experience. The park will undergo a major expansion with more to see and do than ever before, including two brand-new, family attractions: Bucket Blasters, where riders will spin around in barrels for a good old-fashioned water gun battle, and Shipwreck Cove, a fun activity pool with interactive water sprays, geysers, and fountains for hours of water play entertainment.

980804307_ScreenShot2018-08-30at6_46_14AM.thumb.png.2290bd2ab4f6841499fe18ebbed9450d.png

I'm not too sure. I remember they used to have the Looney Tunes kids area 5-6 years ago but then it became a generic area. When they took that away, I was sort of skeptical if the name would ever be Six Flags Great Escape. But we'll see!

I wonder where these new attractions are going to go, as the water park here is divided into two levels between a very steep hill and all the space is taken up for the most part. I could see the flat ride in front of the Comet being moved in order to accommodate this. I hope this doesn't spell the ending of the Bobsled...

• 6 months later...

^Although not impossible I would be extremely surprised if that happened. Even though people might start refering to the park as "Six Flags Great Escape" the park itself is not really flagged and I think Timbertown is a better fit for the Great Escape than the Looney Tunes.

I wonder where these new attractions are going to go, as the water park here is divided into two levels between a very steep hill and all the space is taken up for the most part. I could see the flat ride in front of the Comet being moved in order to accommodate this. I hope this doesn't spell the ending of the Bobsled...

From what I was told, the bobsled was only open for a few days last summer. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was removed.

From what I was told, the bobsled was only open for a few days last summer. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was removed.

At the Ace Great nor’easter event they said they fixed those issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk