TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lake Compounce Discussion Thread

BD is running pretty well but there is one rough spot that has been neglected for a few years. It is the end of the straight away by the rock after the double down and hill. It can be brutal in the back of a car or if you are by yourself in a car. Still no sign of the green train (was supposed to be ready by Memorial Day)

Downtime has been down but I think it should open in a few days. Wildcat was pretty meh on my last ride, seems to be 50/50 for me. IMO they should have re-tracked every inch of the track before getting the new trains. There are many parts that are bouncy and rough.

Also the flyers are running very well, a few visits ago I was riding a few cars behind someone (I think it was an employee) and they were snapping like crazy, the ride was making some serious noises. Iv'e been able to do it a little too, not as easy as the ones at Knoebels or Kings Dominion, but they seem to be a lot better than they were before.

^ I agree 100% on the flyers. I used to barely be able to move them (let alone snap them), but recently it seems like they've sped the ride up a bit and I am able to get it to snap a bit more. Guess all the practice at Knoebels pays off.

I'm at Lake Compounce right now.

Wildcat is down due to a power surge from a lightning storm.

Just got in a front ride on Boulder Dash and while it was fun, it didn't quite live up to expectations. In line now for a back ride.

Would have been nice if it was running more than one train. Hopefully, I can squeeze in two more rides.

^ Boulder Dash hasn't run two trains in quite some time. The one day they tried do didn't exactly go as planned last year when there was the transfer track collision.

If you want to minimize roughness, try Boulder Dash in the second to back.

^ Boulder Dash hasn't run two trains in quite some time. The one day they tried do didn't exactly go as planned last year when there was the transfer track collision.

If you want to minimize roughness, try Boulder Dash in the second to back.

That's where I am right now for last ride of the night!

They had 11 rides down this morning due to the storm, only Ghost Hunt, Wildcat, and Downtime (needs a part) we’re down for the whole day. I got two front row rides at the end, can’t believe the people in the gates didn’t go for the front row.

Agreed, the train they have runs fine.

But I don't think they have a second any more. Granted they stopped running two trains last year even when they had the second train.

I heard after the accident the current train wears the track faster than before

I will be visiting the park a week from Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday for my first time. Any tips for a first time visitor? Any glowing issues that I should be aware of (like rides not operating at all *ahem* lightning rod)

I'm very excited to finally ride BD. Hope it lives up to expectations.

Wildcat and Downtime are down and have been for a week or two, Down Time was supposed to open this week but I think some electrical components were damaged on both rides from a storm two weeks ago. I did see Wildcat in the station, then about 1/4 up the lift, then on the brake run over the course of 3 visits so maybe it will open but I doubt it.

If you are selecting from three different days, I would pick the day that has cloudy or light rain for a brief period in the forecast. They do tend to close if there is extended amounts of heavy rain and lightning (even if it is supposed to be clear after, happened last Friday), so maybe pick a nice day to be safe but It will be busier. Thursday might be the best because Friday will probably be the busiest of the days and Wednesday is a bring a buddy free day.

BD is running well but has a few rough spots including one that is pretty bad about 1/3 into the ride. I would sit in the front row or 6-1. Basically any front rows on the cars are usually better than the back rows. If you go on Friday, you could probably get a night ride around closing time which is highly recommended too.

Side note, the flyers are a lot of fun and snappable. Almost every time I go to ride, there are other people snapping them and the ops usually encourage it. Sometimes it is difficult to do, but it is super easy if it is a little windy.

I will be visiting the park a week from Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday for my first time. Any tips for a first time visitor? Any glowing issues that I should be aware of (like rides not operating at all *ahem* lightning rod)

I'm very excited to finally ride BD. Hope it lives up to expectations.

Not sure if you're a water park fan, but Lights Out is a very good body slide but has a putrid capacity. If you want to ride it, get on it before it builds up a queue.

• 2 weeks later...

Wildcat opened late yesterday and I believe was the same today. Down Time opened Tuesday I believe and has been open since minus a breakdown I saw yesterday. I did notice the ride goes much faster at the top than it did before, before it would slow down about 7/8 up the tower, but yesterday it just went full speed up and came to a sudden stop at the top.

The only other ride down is Mammoth Falls which is 95% going to be down for the season. BD's green train is also ready to go and they have prepped the crane next to the ride to put it on. Not sure when it is going on, I believe it will be on soon or towards the end of the summer season when they are open weekends only.

^ Thanks! I kind of liked how Down Time slowed at the top since it gave me more time to enjoy the view. Just happy it's reopen though.

Honestly the one slide I really care about there is Lights Out but aI probably won't arrive until the water side closes.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be at the park tomorrow. My goal is to get a bunch of rides on BD and at least 1 lap on everything else. Are there certain ebbs & flows of weekend crowds that I need to know about? Or will everything settle around whatever wait it's going to be and stay there most of the day? I'm hoping things will somehow magically be half hour waits or less, but I honestly have no idea if that's even remotely reasonable, especially considering 1-train ops. Any locals who know what's up willing to enlighten me? Thanks!

So I did end up going to the park last Saturday and ended up having a pretty good day. Coaster-wise, it didn't seem like the park was prepped and ready to go as the only coaster operating at open was Zoomerang. Wildcat started testing after opening and opened maybe 15-ish mins later. Boulder Dash sent a train or two around and then didn't open till between 12:30 & 1. And Phobia didn't open till somewhere like 5:30/6. Despite that, I was able to get 8-10 rides in on BD and a lap on everything else before I had to head out.

I only rode Wildcat once, and it was in the back, but I wasn't terribly impressed. I know a lot of the older coasters tend to give airtime towards the front but not as much in the back, but the line got stupid long and stayed stupid long, and I really didn't feel like trying for a front row ride. I was a little surprised how not smooth it was for having been so substantially refurbished so recently and running new trains. Speaking of which, why don't they use the 2nd MF train they have?

Zoomerang was a Boomerang. If I never have to ride another Boomerang in my life, that'll be great.

Their Boo Blasters dark ride thing was really quite fun. It may be one of the better practical-effect shooting dark rides I've done. I rode it several times, but never could quite crack 200,000 points.

Phobia was a SkyRocket II. It was about what I expected based on riding the others, though for some reason the backwards launch into the spike didn't give me same stomach sensation that I'm used to getting from this type of element.

Boulder Dash was pretty fun. On my only other visit to the park, it went down for most of the day and I was only able to get 2 rides in. So I was glad to get to ride it a lot on this visit. I found it to be a front row or nothing type ride. I tried the 2nd to last row, and the front row of the 2nd car, and both bounced around so much that I'd rather just wait the extra couple trains for the front. The airtime is the best up there anyways. And what great airtime it was! The first 1/2 of the ride or so felt kind of like if the Beast had some airtime and was a little more intense. And the return leg was just airtime city. For some reason, though, despite both halves being as good as they are, I can't seem to mentally think of it as a top-20 coaster, despite it probably deserving to land in my top-15 or so. It's kind of weird. Maybe it's because it feels like 2 different coasters? I dunno...

I think if it's in tip-top shape, with all rows tracking well, both trains running, and that one super rough spot smoothed out, I can understand how it would be a top-5 woodie for a lot of people though. It's kind of a shame it's so hard to keep it running well though.

It'll probably be a while before I make another trip to LC--it's just hard to justify when BD is really the only draw for me. Maybe if I'm already in the area for work or something?

Great report.

We live really close to this park and basically never go. I agree that it’s sort of underwhelming, though I’m glad that Boulder Dash is running better.

This park could be so much better than it is but Parques Reunidos is a trash company.