TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

Wow! That's really cool! I actually would be totally down for doing that, for the slightly higher price than a normal daily ticket! Now, if only I could afford another vacation down to Florida this year to experience it with my kiddos!

Thanks for the timely trip report, Robb. I am heading to Orlando this Saturday for a conference and posted a question about the after hours event a few weeks ago. Your report confirms that it is worth the $126.74 ($119 + Fl tax) for a few hours of almost exclusive park time at Magic Kingdom. This will certainly help ease the pain of a boring 4 day government accountants conference that starts Sunday afternoon.

I was initially a bit skeptical of this event given the price point it's at for just 3 hours of park time but it really does look like a unique experience (and the 3 hours is really 6). You can get a lot done in 6 hours especially when the place is completely empty for 3 of them.

This really looks like an awesome option for those that don't want to deal with the crowds or simply want some extra time to enjoy the most popular attractions in the park! Definitely would be the kind of thing I'd consider if I was in on a short trip and wanted to maximize my time in the Magic Kingdom!

This event looks amazing. Six full hours at (IMO) the greatest park on Earth, three of which are essentially ERT? Including free snacks and drinks? And where the attractions are walk-ons? If I were visiting Orlando this summer, Disney would have my money in a heartbeat. This is a ticketed event that would be worth every penny to me.

While normally an 'early bird' ("Cock-a-Doodle-Doo!"), I would definitely dive into a DisneyAfterHours event.  Having the park "almost" to oneself under a moonscape of Disney magic would enhance the fun of favorite rides, fantastical features and events. "AfterHours" is, for sure, how I would LOVE to experience Disney! I'd happily close up the park.

Alice

It would be a perfect way to enjoy the MK, if you arrived maybe the late morning of a day.

They you get to do the Late Hours Event thing that arrival day, and it really gets you

roaring for the upcoming long day visits!

And probably exhausts you, totally, for a good first night's sleep, LOL!

Attended the Magic Kingdom After Hours event last night (July 21). Had a great time! I purchased my ticket a few days before the event and was able to schedule 3 fast pass rides before my arrival. They let us into the park starting at 6:35pm. Saw cast members selling the After Hours tickets in park for $132+ tax and a couple of guests actually buying them.

It turned out to be a beautiful evening without any rain. Really enjoyed the fireworks and not having to rush off immediately after to catch a few rides before the park closed! Park was probably a little more crowded than the pictures in Robb's earlier post from July 14 showed. All rides were a walk on except, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (20 min, down from 95 minutes at 9:40), Tomorrowland Speedway (20 min), Astro Orbitor (15 min) and Peter Pan (15 min). The only one of those I actually rode was SDMT and the wait was about 15 minutes. My final count was:

Splash Mountain x 2

Big Thunder Mountain X 4 (you could re-ride if no one was in your row)

Space Mountain X 6 (like the fact you could go up the ramp for a re-ride instead of walking out the exit and back around)

Seven Dwarfs Mine Train X 3

Pirates of the Caribbean X 1

Flying Dumbo X 1

Some of the longest lines were for the free drinks, ice cream and frozen fruit bars and popcorn. Some of the snack stations ran out of bottled water later in the evening. Saw one guest on the ferry after closing who took advantage of the free drinks and had a Disney bag stuffed with a dozen or so bottled waters and cokes. Never understand people like that!

All in all it was a great time and I felt it was totally worth the price of admission. Would do it again without hesitation if offered next time I am in Orlando.

• 4 weeks later...

I work for an Architectural Metal Company and a job came in a few months back to bid on and it was the TRON coaster! They sent the AutoCAD files to review for the bid (Just the metal wall panels) but we ended up not getting the job. The AutoCad file was so detailed, it was pretty amazing to see.

• 4 months later...

Disney has shared with us that all Walt Disney World Annual Passholders are invited to attend the Potion Purple Premiere Pop-Up Event from 5-7 p.m. on Thursday, January 10, in Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom! Learn more about this and other new V-I-Passholder perks that Guests can enjoy in January!

jlhbhut7y9680.thumb.jpg.c0c1959ed5a8e6ced764c8c0e737c1b7.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/01/celebrate-the-new-year-with-special-v-i-passholder-perks-in-january/

Happy New Year to our Walt Disney World Annual Passholders. Today we’re happy to share that we’re kicking off 2019 with new offerings and events our Passholders won’t want to miss.

The first Walt Disney World Passholder event of 2019 will be the Potion Purple Premiere Pop-Up Event in Tomorrowland at Magic Kingdom Park on Thursday, January 10 from 5-7 p.m. At this event, you can be among the first to purchase the new potion purple merchandise, including adult and youth spirit jerseys, “Vacation Mode” water bottle, Loungefly mini backpack, Loungefly wallet and a new women’s Mickey T-shirt; sip and savor the newest purple food and beverage offerings for purchase – and discover more surprises.

Registration not required to attend this event, however a valid annual pass card and photo ID are required at check-in. Activities and offerings are subject to change without notice. Merchandise available while supplies last. The 20% Passholder merchandise discount is applicable for merchandise purchases during this event.

Dining at Walt Disney World Resort

eiuhirgt6078.jpg.62aa83fac263632fd2dddeae712dc3b9.jpg

Also, from Jan. 6-31, Passholders will receive a limited-time 20% discount at the following restaurants across Walt Disney World Resort for lunch and dinner:

• Biergarten Restaurant at Epcot
  • Coral Reef Restaurant at Epcot
  • The Hollywood Brown Derby at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
  • Hollywood & Vine at Disney’s Hollywood Studios
  • Jungle Navigation Co. LTD Skipper Canteen at Magic Kingdom Park
  • Tiffins Restaurant at Disney’s Animal Kingdom
  • Tony’s Town Square Restaurant at Magic Kingdom Park
  • Ale & Compass Restaurant at Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
  • Boatwright’s Dining Hall at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside (Dinner Only)
  • Citricos at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa (Dinner Only)
  • Disney’s Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
  • Flying Fish at Disney’s BoardWalk Resort (Dinner Only)
  • Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort (8:30 p.m. show only)
  • Jiko – The Cooking Place at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort (Dinner Only)
  • Sebastian’s Bistro at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort (Dinner Only)
  • The Wave… of American Flavors at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
  • Whispering Canyon Café at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Resort

Discount applies to the regular price of food and non-alcoholic beverages (excluding applicable tax and gratuity) during available lunch and dinner meal periods. Valid for the Passholder and up to three (3) guests. Not valid for breakfast, special events and may not be combined with any other discount or offer.

Epcot International Festival of the Arts

ajkshfy4t957896.jpg.9caa43982c5c54622860e63fc7b4ca87.jpg

Last but not least, Passholders will not want to miss out on the excitement at the Epcot International Festival of the Arts. With “one little spark of inspiration,” we’ll soon debut the newest Passholder magnet in time for Epcot International Festival of the Arts, along with special offerings to help you experience the upcoming festival to its fullest. Details to come on the Passholder Facebook page and the Disney Parks Blog soon.

So I was wondering about this event: do you have to be ticketed for the park that day to buy the event ticket? As somebody mentioned that it was more six hours? How does that work?

I'm a Fl resident M-F season passholder, and I was considering doing one of these (you get a slight discount as a seasonpass holder, and it would be a way to get in on a Saturday potentially).

You don't have to already be admitted the day of to take part in the After Hours events. They're hard-ticketed events along the lines of the Halloween and Christmas parties, they're effectively separate admissions.

Because of that, you buying an After Hours ticket for a Saturday doesn't have anything to do with your annual pass, it's as if you were to pay for general admission on one of your block out days.

However, you are allowed in for a few hours of normal operation before the "after hours" event begins. They obviously can't stop people hanging around in the park after the normal day is over, but after a certain time they will only allow people with the event wristbands on the attractions.

Keep in mind that Hollywood Studios is the Saturday park, Animal Kingdom is Tuesday / Wednesday and Magic Kingdom is Monday / Thursday. They don't offer After Hours for EPCOT [yet].

This is random but on the subject of these events, since they let you into the park early do you still get to book Fastpasses during the time that the park is open (even if you don't have an annual pass or a day ticket)?

I just went ahead and bought one. I got it for a day that my season pass isn't blacked out, so I got my traditional FP+'s. But I'm not sure of the answer for if you wouldn't have rights to get in with the After Hours pass. Best bet would be to try it yourself in the Disney website. I'm 90% sure that you probably could, and if so, that would be valuable.

• 1 month later...

A cool video popped up in my YouTube recommendations today:

Apparently George Bush Intercontinental Airport has a people-mover in the basement called the Subway. However, this people mover was actually built by Disney, modeled after the one in Tomorrowland. This is the only known instance of Disney installing a people mover for practical use outside of their properties. I'd recommend watching it, it's very interesting IMO.

This is random but on the subject of these events, since they let you into the park early do you still get to book Fastpasses during the time that the park is open (even if you don't have an annual pass or a day ticket)?
I went to the Animal Kingdom after hours and used my night ticket to book 2 fast passes between 7-8:00p a few weeks ahead of time. So yes, you don't need a daytime ticket to book fast passes at all. I didn't have any other Disney tickets my entire trip.

I did remember reading there can be some weird things if you try to maybe book using both tickets the same day, or have an extended stay that crosses over with it, or something weird like that, but I don't remember the details or where I was reading about it. It may be old information at this point too; sorry I don't remember the circumstances but it had to be resolved with guest services.

I had no issues whatsoever, though, everything just worked. Had an awesome time, despite not knowing what was off limits and getting lost when there's nobody to follow around in the park in the dark, lol...

EDIT: found this -----

"DAH tickets will allow for FP booking during regular park hours, so - if you have no other FPs booked that day - one could book FPs during with a DAH ticket during the regular park hours before the event.

HOWEVER, there can be issues when doing this, as has been happening for some people with MNSSHP and MVMCP events since 2017. Booking FPs with DAH tickets in combination with certain trip details/configurations can potentially cause Disney's system to flag your account for insufficient ticket entitlements and you will receive a warning that your last day of FPs will be cancelled if you do not address the problem.Who and exactly why people get this warning remains elusive.

Bottom line - if you choose to book FPs with your DAH ticket entitlement and you have FPs booked on other days with regular park admission - you have some potential risk of receiving this warning... so keep an eye out"

• 5 weeks later...

vla029384029482343fi-624x352.jpg.50d9ad7dde95593fa08772f1dedd0016.jpg

Disney Villains Take Center Stage at Select Disney After Hours Nights Events at Magic Kingdom Park

Disney After Hours has been a huge success with guests looking for the opportunity to experience the magic at Magic Kingdom Park after the sun goes down. Today, I’m excited to share a new reason to delve into the delights of Disney After Hours this summer – Disney Villains will add a wicked twist to Disney After Hours event nights June 6-August 8!

In case you aren’t familiar, Disney After Hours is a special event that’s open to a limited number of guests and offers low wait times at more than 20 attractions and experiences after the park closes to day guests, from classics like the Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Space Mountain, to newer favorites like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, plus many more. Event tickets also allow entry as early as 7 p.m., which gives you time to enjoy fireworks before heading off to the attractions. Ice cream novelties, popcorn and select bottled beverages are also included in the cost of admission.

This summer, Disney Villains After Hours will take on a wickedly fun villains theme, with exclusive entertainment, food & beverage, merchandise and more.

Here’s a taste of what new elements to expect:

- A Brand-New Disney Villains Stage Show – Hades and Meg from “Hercules” will set the castle stage ablaze in this all-new stage show, Villains Unite the Night, which will also feature appearances by Jafar, The Queen, Dr. Facilier and Maleficent.

- Spot Maleficent the Dragon – Maleficent the Dragon, with her Steampunk style and signature wicked grin, will be let loose for the first time at night – breathing fire as she creeps through the park as a one-of-a-kind experience for party guests.

- Villanous Enhancements: Discover surprising, villain-inspired additions at Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain.

Wickedly Good Food & Beverage -A variety of special food & beverage offerings will also be available for purchase, including tasty desserts, drinks and dishes inspired by The Queen, Cruella de Vil, Maleficent, Hades, Dr. Facilier and even Emperor Zurg.

- Event Merchandise – Event attendees can also purchase new logo merchandise, as well as items from a curated collection of the best Disney Villains merchandise available.

- One Notorious Item to Note: Ever driven to stand out in their unpredictable and audacious fashion, while the Villains will be entertaining guests in the new stage show, they will not be participating in character greetings during the event.

If you really wanna get in on the action, feel free to show off your sinister side by dressing in attire inspired by your favorite baddie.

Disney Villains After Hours tickets cost $139 plus tax in advance, $144 plus tax on the event night. Keep your eye on the Disney Parks Blog in the coming weeks for booking details! Annual Passholder and Disney Vacation Club Members can take advantage of a $30 discount and purchase tickets for $109. Tickets for these specific Disney Villains After Hours event nights will go on sale April 29.

Joining us for this year’s event? Be sure to share your experience with us using #VillainsAfterHours.

More details: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/magic-kingdom-after-hours/

Edited by robbalvey

I agree, it sounds really cool.

I really do think it's awesome that Disney has found so many ways to add things like this without impacting regular guests at all. How cool is it that they can pull this off but still have a 10pm close for regular guests?