TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Budget for Fastlane lol!

I doubt I'll need it. The only truly "bad' Halloweekend is Columbus day weekend. Friday will get us on a bunch of rides, we'll have an hour before it opens on Saturday, and then once the haunts start that'll bring some of the wait down for the rest of the night.

The only truly "bad' Halloweekend is Columbus day weekend.... once the haunts start that'll bring some of the wait down for the rest of the night.

Good luck with that. Columbus Saturday typically hits the record, but Saturdays in October are not a fun time. FP+ is needed if you want to ride any big rides and have any sanity left.

I take it that you have never been to a Halloweekend Saturday before. I have not seen any thinning crowds after the haunt starts. Even early September. Fast lane it Saturday or do as the wife and I do and see how many bars you can find on Saturday. Sunday September Halloweekends die around 3 P.M. and most rides are walk ons until 8 P.M.

Edited by john10693

I take it that you have never been to a Halloweekend Saturday before. I have not seen any thinning crowds after the haunt starts. Even early September. Fast lane it Saturday or do as the wife and I do and see how many bars you can find on Saturday. Sunday September Hallowekends die around 3 P.M. and most rides are walk ons until 8 P.M.
The only truly "bad' Halloweekend is Columbus day weekend.... once the haunts start that'll bring some of the wait down for the rest of the night.

Good luck with that. Columbus Saturday typically hits the record, but Saturdays in October are not a fun time. FP+ is needed if you want to ride any big rides and have any sanity left.

I've actually been going to Halloweekends the weekend after Columbus day weekend for the past 5 years and this is my first September trip. Saturdays do suck but the way I've done it is to take advantage of the early entry on Saturday and ride until noon since the waits start to get high around then, head back to the concierge room and snack out for a while. Then we'd just walk around to see what (if anything) was less then an hour till 4/5ish then get dinner. And finally head back out around 7/8ish, hit the "spooky" trails/walk around, then the crowds thinned out (hour or less waits) around 10pm and hit anything that would be worth it.

I have a bizarre question! With Cedar Fair platinum passes, can you visit two different parks in one day? We’re in Mason right now visiting KI, and we were thinking of going tomorrow for a couple hours tomorrow before driving up to Sandusky for the second leg of our trip. Does anyone know if our platinum passes would work at CP if they’ve been scanned at KI earlier that day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bizarre question! With Cedar Fair platinum passes, can you visit two different parks in one day? We’re in Mason right now visiting KI, and we were thinking of going tomorrow for a couple hours tomorrow before driving up to Sandusky for the second leg of our trip. Does anyone know if our platinum passes would work at CP if they’ve been scanned at KI earlier that day?

It is really not that strange of a question, and you are not the first person to visit both on the same day. The pass will work and you will be able to enter both parks.

They did back in 2008.

I did a little checking on this option because the car rental prices were crazy high when I started planning our trip, but all the Sandusky taxi services I could find were the "one car and the guy who owns it" kind of thing, I called one to get prices, left a message and they never called back. I ended up finding a pretty good car rental rate so I never did pursue it further.

I did a little checking on this option because the car rental prices were crazy high when I started planning our trip, but all the Sandusky taxi services I could find were the "one car and the guy who owns it" kind of thing, I called one to get prices, left a message and they never called back. I ended up finding a pretty good car rental rate so I never did pursue it further.

Have you looked into uber or lyft?

Anyone have experience using a local taxi service to get to the park while staying in Sandusky?

Two years ago and earlier this spring is was spotty and unreliable. Sometimes you'll see two Ubers out and about (the most I've ever seen), often times you'll see none at all. Taxi services aren't really regulated in the area (that I've noticed) so if you call one, you could be waiting an hour before you get picked up and they might charge you some crazy amount of money.

Overall, it's not recommended.

My family is considering taking a trip to Cedar Point next year. They could be about 10 people on this trip. Lodging could be a bit of a challenge. Does anyone have any experience with Lighthouse Point? I figure that would probably be a better option than just hotels. Any advice/experience with these "cabins?"

I'm staying in one of the smaller cabins in early August with other TPRers who are also well traveled. I'll be posting about the accomodation after returning. I have wanted to stay in the cabins for years, but my family never wants to travel at the same time as me.

My son is at the park today with the FastLane+. He still is waiting 30-45 per ride. Is this normal? Is he doing something wrong?

Does he like gladiator movies?

No, but he did spend some time in a turkish prison...

The first time I have ever used this hackneyed emoji

Any rumblings as to what could be coming to CP for 2019?

According to recent reports, it better be more guests before the place goes bankrupt from declining attendance.

Edited by larrygator

My family is considering taking a trip to Cedar Point next year. They could be about 10 people on this trip. Lodging could be a bit of a challenge. Does anyone have any experience with Lighthouse Point? I figure that would probably be a better option than just hotels. Any advice/experience with these "cabins?"

I'm staying in one of the smaller cabins in early August with other TPRers who are also well traveled. I'll be posting about the accomodation after returning. I have wanted to stay in the cabins for years, but my family never wants to travel at the same time as me.

I love staying at the cabins. For several years my friends and I would get a cabin for the 2nd week of Halloweekends. We’ve had up to 9 people together. It costs more but I love the privacy of my own building.

I love staying at the cabins. For several years my friends and I would get a cabin for the 2nd week of Halloweekends. We’ve had up to 9 people together. It costs more but I love the privacy of my own building.

I've done Breakers, Sandcastle, and Lighthouse Point. I liked Lighthouse Point the best. I will agree with Maverick that it is very nice to have your own "building." You have less worry about disturbing others if you're up late having a good time or whatever. The other thing I've noticed, at least when I've looked this season, is that the options at Lighthouse Point are cheaper than Breakers, especially when you take the capacity of the options into account. Breakers is probably "nicer" and you don't get daily housekeeping at LP, but for taking a large group of people it seems like Lighthouse Point would work better. Whether you all packed into one 10 person capacity deluxe cabin or got adjacent cottages, I'd prefer that to hotel, and should be cheaper than Breakers.

As much as I love staying "on-property", I have to throw out a recommendation for AirBnB (and I'm not one to usually stay in them). Sandusky only recently (as in last year or two) started to allow vacation rentals and there are tons of great options for good prices. Myself along with some friends just rented a house down Chaussee (the "other" causeway to the park) a few weekends back. The cost per night was less than the deluxe cabins at Lighthouse Point and our house was probably 2,000 square feet, had 8 beds, deck, full kitchen, etc. It was maybe a 5 minute drive tops from the park. There are other rentals closer to the park (including some of the houses you see when in the parking lot) that are a little smaller but still around that 400-500 a night price point (which is cheaper in many cases than Lighthouse Point). Downtown Sandusky also has some great condos on the water that we looked at renting opting to be closer to the park but that might be an option.

As for Lighthouse Point itself - while it does what it needs to do and are not bad, they are very small, including the deluxe cabin. My family group of 8 last year felt really tight in the deluxe cabin. The disappointing piece was that there was no area big enough to seat more than 6 people to gather around to eat, drink or play a game. Hence why we went with the AirBnB this year. Honestly the walk back to some of the cabins was almost just as long, if not longer than what it took to drive the half a mile to our AirBnB rental.

My wife and I just got back from a weekend trip here and we stayed at Breakers. It's pricey, but nice being able to enter the park from essentially the back door of the hotel. We spent three days here and had three days worth of park tickets. Much less expensive than a one day ticket plus flash pass plus! We were able to ride nearly all their coasters first day due to the midnight hours.. the "big" coasters all had thirty minutes or less wait asside from Maverick and Steel Vengeance. We rode both of those on our second day using our early ride times and got both of those ridden before 10:00am.. Spent most of that day on the lake actually! Very nice having a lake beside the park and the beach is wonderful with all the activities they had! On our third day we rode mostly flats and just hung out before leaving early afternoon to come home..

Ride ops were great! It's nice not having to slam a huge park like that into one day. Breakers is a very nice hotel, Bright and modern.

We loved Steel Vengeance and I think my wife like Wiked Twister the best along with Valravn. I think my favorite was probably Maverick. Overall great trip and nice park! We have been planning to visit this park for years but never have.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I wanted to stay at castaway bay but my wife was like, who needs a water park when the great lake is right outside. Maybe next time we will stay at castaway bay because it was a little less expensive plus I think it would be nice.

Haha I grew up on a nasty lake so none of that bothers me. Quick shower after a swim and I'm good to go. No brain eating parasites yet *knock on wood*

With Global Warming, it's only a matter of time till the water in the great lakes is warm enough for the amoebas!