TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Europa Park Discussion Thread

Does 50 million Euros seem a *bit* high to anyone else? Like, I get that it was a bad fire and all, but I thought only one major ride got destroyed? Was there that much infrastructure that also got destroyed? Are they maybe counting new ride replacement costs in this?

No way will this be $50 Euros to replace! If so, it will be an amazing ride.

In no accounting method do you add the cost of the destroyed and the cost of the replacement to determine value of damage.

I wonder if some of that cost comes from rushing to get the raft ride re-opened? The labor and equipment costs are presumably higher from getting it open so quickly?

^Well Jordy mentioned the data center damage, I have no idea how to monetize that.

I could understand if the park was closed for days and they included lost revenue. I could understand if they are holding reparations/lawsuit money aside, but I don't recall anyone being hurt.

They lost Pirates, most of the Dutch area buildings, the whole of the Scandinavian street, Fjord Rafting theming, maintenace areas for the Monorail and Panoramabahn, an IT/date centre, lots of tech/AV equipment and all of their tens of thousands of stored costumes and uniforms.

They could also be accounting for lost revenue on top of all the infrastructure and inventory that was destroyed.

I wonder if some of that cost comes from rushing to get the raft ride re-opened? The labor and equipment costs are presumably higher from getting it open so quickly?

Given how quick it took to get it back up and running that could be the case too.

Does 50 million Euros seem a *bit* high to anyone else? Like, I get that it was a bad fire and all, but I thought only one major ride got destroyed? Was there that much infrastructure that also got destroyed? Are they maybe counting new ride replacement costs in this?

They also lost 150.000 costumes. This alone might be up to 20 million Euros.

• 4 weeks later...

New virtual reality rollercoaster at Europa-Park gets a virtual walking section

130818verie.jpg.2eaadd7681b6f91f080d7b2e323c06c6.jpg

The new virtual reality rollercoaster at Europa-Park is different from other virtual reality roller coasters. Normally, passengers only put their virtual reality glasses on in the station. The German theme park first allows visitors to walk through a virtual environment with their glasses.

Then they step into a train while they still have the glasses on. They can see the cars in the virtual world. Other visitors and employees are also visible. The principle is called 'roam & ride'. "It is a fluid combination of walking around through virtual reality and an intense thrillride", says a press release.

The new attraction is called Eurosat Coastiality, based on the classic indoor roller coaster Eurosat from 1989. Last winter, the track was completely demolished and rebuilt. The virtual reality film that visitors get to see revolves around the science-fiction film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets from 2017.

Europa-Park developed the technology together with VR Coaster, Holodeck VR and sister company MackMedia. "Our system not only ensures that guests are immersed in an exciting virtual world," says Thomas Wagner of VR Coaster. "It also makes the entry process on the roller coaster easier and more efficient."

The experience is expected to open in September. Those who do not like virtual reality can also opt for a roller coaster ride without glasses. In that case the attraction is dominated by the Paris nightclub Moulin Rouge, under the name Eurosat - CanCan Coaster.

Source

If this becomes mainstream (which it probably will), it might pretty much eliminate the long loading times normally associated with virtual reality attractions.

It makes me wonder if virtual reality and computer graphics really are going to supercede physical sets in future theme parks.

It makes me wonder if virtual reality and computer graphics really are going to supercede physical sets in future theme parks.

Gawd, I hope not. I don't care for VR.

I'm not a fan of VR, but this is an interesting concept and if anyone can pull it off, Europa Park can. I think the fact it's an enclosed coaster also works to its advantage as one of my main problems with VR (aside the practicalities) is that it kind of isolates you from the whole experience of enjoying the coaster with your co-rider and not being able to see how high you are or how fast you're going which isn't really a factor on dark coasters anyway.

Gawd, I hope not. I don't care for VR.

Ditto.

Accident with monorail Europa-Park: trains collide

180818anders1.jpg

In Europa Park two monorail trains collided on Saturday morning. Around 09.30 two vehicles of the EP Express collided in front of the theme hotel El Andaluz. Two people were slightly injured, reports the police.

The damage is considerable, according to images on social media. According to eyewitnesses, a train with passengers collided with an empty train. How the accident could happen is still being investigated.

A spokesperson for the German amusement park reports that the incident occurred during the shunting of a train. "All occupants were able to leave the train independently via the station," says a statement. The attraction is now operational again.

The EP Express, opened in 1995, is one of the two monorails in Europa-Park. The track is located at a height of six meters. A ride takes about thirteen minutes. There are stations in the theme areas Spain, Greece, Germany and at the hotels of Europa-Park. The trains date from 1988.

180818anders2.jpg

180818anders5.jpg

180818anders4.jpg

Source

I am intrigued by the VR line concept. I can't help but think people will walk into walls, but it looks like they have it well mapped out, even to the tune of stairs.

Too bad about Europa's other recent troubles. I went there for the first time last year and thought it was an amazing park. Wodan was great -- it blew my expectations away.

Europa-Park shows design for renewed roller coaster

200818bota1.jpg.3cdb8fc943482952c77ef3f42081b693.jpg

The opening of the renewed rollercoaster Eurosat in Europa-Park is coming closer and closer. In the last months, the German theme park has transformed the iconic indoor rollercoaster into an attraction themed to the Paris nightclub Moulin Rouge. The queue is also extensively decorated, according to a large number of new designs.

Visitors will soon find themselves behind the scenes at the famous French cabaret spectacle. Among other things, they take a look in the dressing rooms. In addition, they pass a large garden, atmospheric staircases, the studio of a Parisian artist, a nostalgic mirror tent and an exhibition with objects from the Belle Époque period.

From now on the attraction is called Eurosat - CanCan Coaster. The original black track was demolished last winter and replaced by a new red track. In addition, new trains arrived. The management of Europa-Park recently made several test drives. The original layout of the ride barely changed.

The official opening will take place on 12th of September. Most likely, guests will be able to take a ride earlier. The roller coaster also gets a virtual reality variant that revolves around a science fiction film. A separate station has been built for this.

200818bota2.jpg.d892acd24e79ffb04b58b9599e6c627c.jpg

200818bota3.jpg.dfe970b753410df368e32056c1f103b5.jpg

200818bota4.jpg.dbcced391d38d4a7224c0d73e8a4fedf.jpg

200818bota5.jpg.38f24068421aac68fad421bd1647028d.jpg

200818bota6.jpg.cbdf77ee9e265029ab5bbc0fd8600968.jpg

200818bota7.jpg.82b215ab0f1cba3f6005f59c70aca3c6.jpg

200818bota8.jpg.739e61c4822114483154aada0eb7cd5b.jpg

200818bota9a.jpg.e446088321968c6c5742e90bc706a9ad.jpg

200818bota10.jpg.fdfe0a603f472c0cfe690e5b5ccdbb44.jpg

Source

• 4 weeks later...

Europa-Park opens Eurosat - CanCan Coaster

120918euroat.jpg.89442d4e19dafb57eac4f41331ea698f.jpg

Europa-Park has officially presented the new rollercoaster Eurosat - CanCan Coaster to the public today. During a ride in the indoor rollercoaster guests make a nightly flight over Paris. In addition, they pass various icons from the French capital, including a replica of the Eiffel Tower and the famous nightclub Moulin Rouge.

The old Eurosat roller coaster - opened in 1989 - has been transformed over the past few months into a modern roller coaster with new decors, special effects, other trains and a soundtrack specially composed for the attraction. The layout of the ride remained almost the same, including the iconic spiral lift hill.

The queue and the station are extensively decorated in French atmospheres. A lot of blacklight effects are used during the ride. The renovation was a race against the clock. "We were still working on the the final details last night at 5 am", said director Michael Mack during a press conference.

From tomorrow, regular guests can enjoy the rollercoaster. There is also a virtual reality variant called Eurosat Coastiality, based on the science fiction film Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.

Previously, the adjacent dino-darkride Universe der Energie got a major makeover. That attraction is now called Madame Freudenreich Curiosités. The reopening took place last month.

Source

Love that they kept a rendition of the original theme on the lift. I was kind of worried the original soundtrack was going to get scrapped completely.

Also, kind of getting a Rock n' Roller Coaster vibe with the visuals on the ride...maybe it's the cutouts.

At West Coast Bash someone had asked the question "What was the coolest thing you got to do behind the scenes at a park" and on the spot I couldn't really think of one that came to mind because everything just sort of jumbles together in my head, I mean, I can't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday let alone hand pick a single memory from the past 20 years! lol

Anyway, later on I had thought about this really cool moment at Silver Star and realized I had all this footage that I never posted, so here ya go....