TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Some really good news from a user on Reddit:

Steel Vengeance was testing with 3 trains this morning. They reprogrammed it so they can dispatch early with the two trains. Right now it has to wait until the wave turn until it dispatches. It climbs the lift hill slow until the final break run is clear (which is two different blocks). 3 train ops are definitely showing signs of progression. Id say it will have them by August.

The fact that they don't need to wait for the next train to completely return is fantastic, and three trains testing is good news as well.

That's how it was running during the first rider benefit. A line all the way down the tunnel and through 1 switchback took about 25 minutes. Granted, fastlane wasn't an issue that day.

Why don’t they just put together merging practices like the ones Disney uses for their attractions? Have set ratios based on how busy it is to prioritize FL guests. If you made it to the point where you were going 10 or 20 to 1 FL to regular line ratio, you wouldn’t have a FL backup. It would also encourage people waiting in the extremely slow moving and long standby line to buy FL! Then we wouldn’t have enormous FL lines anymore and the park would make more money off FL! Every time I’ve gone to the park I’ve always felt like the ratio of regular line to FL that they let in is way too high, almost 50/50 when the FL line is backed up. And this is coming from someone who has never bought FL and is waiting in the regular line. It just doesn’t seem worth it to still wait in a massive line. Maybe I’d buy it if it was prioritized a bit more. Just saying.

Use the OPAT (One Party At a Time) merge method:

SLOW PERIODS (PHASE I): take one party from regular line, then multiply that number by 4. Take that many people from FL (or the entire FL line, whichever is smaller). For a party of 5 in standby, you would take 20 max from FL.

MODERATE PERIODS (PHASE II): take one party from regular line, multiply that number by 4 and add 10. For a party of 5 you would take 30 people from FL.

BUSY PERIODS (PHASE III): take one party from regular line, and multiply the number by 10, and take the lesser of that number or 90. For a party of 5 in standby, you would take 50 from FL, but for a party of 12 in standby, you would only take 90 from FL.

That’s the formula Disney uses for merging standby and FP on almost all of their E-Ticket attractions, and it tends to work pretty well. These numbers could be tested and adjusted for CP but I’d imagine it would be something similar to keep the FL lines down to a minimum.

^^The way they do it now is fine. Disney rides have much higher capacity. If you pulled 20 FL people for every one person in the Maverick standby line, that would be one group every 3 or 4 dispatches or so (assuming a group of 4). During Halloweekends that would probably be a 12 hour line and you’d need to hand out bathroom passes

Like Robb said, if you’re smart then you won’t wait more than 20 minutes or so with Fastlane. There are plenty of Disney rides that are right in that range too with a Fast Pass (Soarin, Peter Pan, Test Track...).

People are inventing a problem that doesn’t exist.

^^The way they do it now is fine. Disney rides have much higher capacity. If you pulled 20 FL people for every one person in the Maverick standby line, that would be one group every 3 or 4 dispatches or so (assuming a group of 4). During Halloweekends that would probably be a 12 hour line and you’d need to hand out bathroom passes

Like Robb said, if you’re smart then you won’t wait more than 20 minutes or so with Fastlane. There are plenty of Disney rides that are right in that range too with a Fast Pass (Soarin, Peter Pan, Test Track...).

People are inventing a problem that doesn’t exist.

Gotta whine about something. **shrug**

Why don’t they just put together merging practices like the ones Disney uses for their attractions? Have set ratios based on how busy it is to prioritize FL guests. If you made it to the point where you were going 10 or 20 to 1 FL to regular line ratio, you wouldn’t have a FL backup. It would also encourage people waiting in the extremely slow moving and long standby line to buy FL! Then we wouldn’t have enormous FL lines anymore and the park would make more money off FL! Every time I’ve gone to the park I’ve always felt like the ratio of regular line to FL that they let in is way too high, almost 50/50 when the FL line is backed up. And this is coming from someone who has never bought FL and is waiting in the regular line. It just doesn’t seem worth it to still wait in a massive line. Maybe I’d buy it if it was prioritized a bit more. Just saying.

Use the OPAT (One Party At a Time) merge method:

SLOW PERIODS (PHASE I): take one party from regular line, then multiply that number by 4. Take that many people from FL (or the entire FL line, whichever is smaller). For a party of 5 in standby, you would take 20 max from FL.

MODERATE PERIODS (PHASE II): take one party from regular line, multiply that number by 4 and add 10. For a party of 5 you would take 30 people from FL.

BUSY PERIODS (PHASE III): take one party from regular line, and multiply the number by 10, and take the lesser of that number or 90. For a party of 5 in standby, you would take 50 from FL, but for a party of 12 in standby, you would only take 90 from FL.

That’s the formula Disney uses for merging standby and FP on almost all of their E-Ticket attractions, and it tends to work pretty well. These numbers could be tested and adjusted for CP but I’d imagine it would be something similar to keep the FL lines down to a minimum.

I dunno, bro. I'm sure they have looked into quite a few options and are content on how they have their simple bracelet setups. As simple minded as I am... I like the way it's set up now. The only thing I'd prefer that they do is raise the FL+ prices so less people buy them and they could break even on the cost. That said, I'm sure they have looked at the data quite a bit to determine what price point they sell the passes at and how many to sell in order to maximize profits. Either way, CP seems to be doing well just the way they have it.

Quick question, has anyone been able to use their platinum pass to get the fast lane deal for other people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was there last month, I was able to use my platinum pass to get the fast lane deal for other people at the SV gift shop back in Frontiertown. But when I tried to do the same thing at the marina gate ticket office before the park opened, they would only give the deal for each person who had a platinum pass. Everyone in the group had a platinum pass and I don't know what the rule is supposed to be, so I didn't try to push it or anything, I was just trying to buy the FL+ passes for both me and my GF at the same time and they needed to see both passes.

For what it's worth, the employee in the SV gift shop seemed pretty new while the employee at the ticket office did not.

Also it's advertised as "Wait LESS, Ride more". Not get on every ride instantly. A 30-45 minute wait compared to 1.5-3 hrs is preferable for most people.

If you purchased a FL+ for any Saturday from July till end of season expecting to walk on every ride it's valid for you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I've been to the park on Haunt Saturday's with the FL+ line at Maverick hitting 90 mins. That's still a lot shorter of a wait than the 2-3 hours the stand by line hits.

Cant vouch for others, but as someone who's only used a fast pass once before, I just didn't know.

When I think of it, I know I think of the "assigned time" style that limits waits to ya know 10, 15 mins. And when I used it at Busch Gardens, not exactly a quiet park and lines were huge that day, I still had 0-5 min waits with a fast pass. So ya know, if you don't know how it works for the park I think it's fair to say someone would assume its designed to ensure low wait times and 45, 60, 90 mins (while better than 2-3 hours obviously) would catch someone off guard. But of course that's why you research ahead of time! So you do know how it works for the park and aren't caught off guard.

Im really not a big planner, but even I don't get how people can travel esp to parks and not know what to expect.

And true, unless you have no choice I don't know why anyone goes to parks between early June and mid august

The heat is always too much for me, ya know the crowds will be bad, and a weekend? Why even bother ha

Same for any Halloween events, after I went to fright fest once and it was 3 hours for El Toro, never again.

I guess its limiting, and may require time off work but I almost never deal with crowds, rarely need a fast pass and never have gripes

I've asked a few ride ops at the park about the fast lane ratio, they said there wasn't one that they are supposed to follow, instead they just make up the ratio and send people as it feels right. This might be a reason why the FL queues back up so much and are so inconsistent. I have used the Platinum Flash Pass at SFMM and Fast Lane Plus at Cedar Point, and I rode over twice as many rides at Cedar Point as I did at Magic Mountain. At Magic Mountain, I rode 16 rides total using the flash pass. At Cedar Point, I rode 32. I'd prefer Cedar Point's system (wait less) over Six Flags' system, (hop right on but only once for the most popular rides) any day. I think FLP at Cedar Point is the perfect system - it allows you to bypass the majority of the lines without inconveniencing other guests too much.

Exactly. No system will ever be perfect but I like Fastlane a lot. The pros and cons you just outlined are just the nature of this system.

People like the Cedar Fair system because you can ride whatever you want, whenever you want an infinite number of times. I agree! That said, since there's no crowd control system (aside from capping the total number of wristbands sold), you might occasionally have to wait. It's a double-edge sword.

Disney and Six Flags can control how many people can scan in for each ride on Fastlane every hour / minute. At Six Flags, 50 people could try to reserve a ride within a few minutes of eachother and the system would stagger their return times. At Cedar point, 50 people would walk right into the Maverick line within a few minutes of eachother and there's no perfect solution. Each train only holds 12 people and if they get right because they heavily prioritize Fastlane when the Fastlane lines back up then they'll walk right back around and the stand-by line would literally never move.

I love Fastlane, but if you love it because of the freedom that it provides you where you can just ride whatever, whenever and not have to schedule a return time then you have to realize that sometimes that means those lines are going to back up. Even when they do, you're still way better off in the Fastlane line than the regular line.

TL;DR: It's an awesome system but just do what Robb said and exercise a little common sense and/or patience.

Agreed Bill. The infinite ride amount is why I wanted it, and its deff nice to have a the freedom of time. I guess I expected the limiting factor to be the # of bands sold.

I bought Cedar Point's marketing tooooo well clearly, "Very limited number sold!"

And yeah I hope no one is disputing even a 45-60 min wait is better than 120-180. Just if one is uninformed I do get why they would be taken aback, it is quite pricey after all. BUT thing is no one really has an excuse to be uninformed if you're here. Like...why come to a site like this and not take advantage of the info?

All I know is, I bought em, just got the plane tickets and KW tix. All that's left is hotel (which Im going cheap since I don't see a need for early access thanks to FL+) and this trip is done. So stoked

At the park for my first time last night and today. Lots of walk ons like the oldies and maxair but the rest have substantial lines and it would be a nightmare without FL+. The early entry with platinum/hotel was extremely important for steel vengeance. Even running at 9 got us on train 3 and then the line was about 60 minutes. Crazy! Fast lane doesn’t open until 10. We went back to SV at 10:10 and FL was 30 minutes. By the time we got off it was way longer. Gotta get there early for SV for early entry and then right when FL opens otherwise you’re SOL and wasting time in line that could be spent having fun otherwise.

Hi, after a decade plus of wanting to visit Cedar Point I finally had my first experience last week! I thought I'd share a little bit about my trip along with some pictures. We stayed at Hotel Breakers July 4th through July 7th (2 days in the park).

I was hesitant at staying at Hotel Breakers at first because of the price, especially since it was July 4th week and it was extra expensive. But it is worth every penny, you can't beat the location and convenience of being able to go back to your room any time throughout the day while at the park. The hotel room itself was mediocre, our toilet flush didn't work the entire time even after maintenance came and 'fixed' it and there was also ants on our bathroom floor. Other than that the rest of the hotel/resort was nice. We had meals at the Perkins and TGI Fridays at the hotel and also ordered Pizza in from Domino's for lunch one of the days. Also an added benefit of staying at Hotel Breakers was the July 4th firework show on the beach which was great.

First day at the park we got to the Magnum entrance around 10am and went straight for Steel Vengeance. The line took almost 2 hours! Initially we were only going to get fast lane on Friday, but after this wait we decided to splurge and get the fast lane both days. It was totally worth it and made our experience so much better as we were able to take our time and really enjoy other parts of the park. Overall Cedar Point exceeded my expectations and the atmosphere and number of high quality rides was incredible, definitely looking forward to my next visit. Here was my total coaster count in order of my favorite to least favorite:

6 x Steel Vengeance

2 x Maverick

2 x Millennium Force

2 x Top Thrill Dragster

3 x Valravn

1 x Raptor

2 x Gatekeeper

1 x Rougarou

1 x Magnum XL 200

1 x Gemini

1 × Wicked Twister

1 x Corkscrew

1 × Blue Streak

1 x Cedar Creek Mine Ride

0 x Iron Dragon (For some reason this ride didn't have a fast pass line and the wait was always 45+ min)

On to some pictures:

a.thumb.JPG.4d71e2de5d0480e0b252910890c5d30e.JPG

Hotel Breakers had a nice boardwalk with convenient park entrances on each end

aa.thumb.JPG.64be876b562f3a7ad96e8ee0b5438309.JPG

Great views from the beach, they had different beach activities/games going on throughout the day

b.thumb.JPG.176b13d9ed1843522f08c774ba0ebe23.JPG

Loved the historic but modern feel of Hotel Breakers

c.thumb.JPG.3406838155495c81baf7973e0690d9d4.JPG

Cool rotunda with 'floating' lights in the hotel

d.thumb.JPG.ad8fdc50b7cd08dae2b73c486c16e9d0.JPG

Our hotel room view, could get used to waking up to this view :)

e.thumb.JPG.4185e4581e4e7847bf2b6757b71f9fc8.JPG

Steel Vengeance was amazing, my favorite element was the outward banked airtime filled turn

f.thumb.JPG.c68997df4c189d600a7a7b85989639dd.JPG

Front row on Millennium Force provided a much better ride than the middle of the train, loved this coaster

g.thumb.JPG.7caef74725f17e516c391682d2722931.JPG

Great to see Coasters restaurant! Used to work at the one at Valleyfair

h.thumb.JPG.8553b6d3ee1e273a4d11ab00778e9785.JPG

The first drop in the front left seat of this ride was amazing, the rest of the ride is fun too although not as intense

i.thumb.JPG.3e35064d0d02cb3c43173743d7b377f9.JPG

Gatekeeper is a beautiful looking coaster, really enjoyed the first drop and first half of the ride

j.thumb.JPG.7ad53ec83c7c99c5fd4e1d8254d0c51e.JPG

Having ridden Kingda Ka, I thought this was smoother and having only a lap bar makes a big difference, you can never really be prepared for this type of launch!

k.thumb.JPG.76092eb2e441c1c20413bb6c2bb26187.JPG

Loved the main midway at Cedar Point, Sky Ride was great, wished it was longer

l.thumb.JPG.99942aa97b2c887a317b24bba85333a1.JPG

Loved Maverick but only got to ride it twice since it was down most of the trip, we were unlucky since we also experienced breakdowns at Raptor, Steel Vengeance, TTD, Gemini, and Valravn during our time there.

m.thumb.JPG.09ad1961c961c116c43284274f48f1d7.JPG

Really enjoyed visiting the museum and seeing this huge model of Steel Vengeance, can't wait to see it fully complete

n.thumb.JPG.53029583eb722f1abea04005bebd41d3.JPG

Found Magnum XL-200 to be very rough, enjoyed the views of the waterpark from it though

o.thumb.JPG.7a33826feb76d027e9d3f5ea9c5d9cbb.JPG

Very scenic trail from the boardwalk alongside Magnum XL 200

p.thumb.JPG.44ad1f8b74fbe1055d329f54c3a6d0f5.JPG

Nothing beats a night ride on Steel Vengeance in the last row, absolutely crazy!

Great report and sounds like an awesome trip after so much time in the making. You got a ton of rides on Steel Vengeance.

For those of you on the fence about staying at the Hotel Breakers, I cannot emphasize enough that it’s worth the extra cost (assuming you can afford it), if you are going on a busy day. The early entry to the park is unbeatable.

we decided to splurge and get the fast lane both days. It was totally worth it and made our experience so much better

we decided to splurge and get the fast lane both days. It was totally worth it and made our experience so much better

Something I say all the time and people still try to argue with me on this. I cannot stress enough....

If you are not a 'local' to the park, and you are visiting Cedar Point on an infrequent basis, you're doing yourself a disservice by not getting Fast Lane. I get that it is expensive, but your time is worth it.

Edited by robbalvey

So I’m planning on going tomorrow but looks like there’s going to on and off storms during the day. So I was wondering should I chance it and go tomorow and hope for light crowds or go Tuesday where it’ll be very nice but maybe more crowded?

So I’m planning on going tomorrow but looks like there’s going to on and off storms during the day. So I was wondering should I chance it and go tomorow and hope for light crowds or go Tuesday where it’ll be very nice but maybe more crowded?

replyhazy.jpg.9dfc026eed72e387f8b42c56dd47eccb.jpg

Honestly, I'm not sure if Cedar Point changed their policy about the rain, but enthusiasts used to joke that they'd close any and all rides pretty much IMMEDIATELY once a rain cloud even appeared. I don't think that's the case any more, or if it was a one off but:

I'd go on the on and off storms day with lighter crowds.

When I was there at the end of May, I don't think anything but TTD closed because of the rain. They kept dispatching trains on SteVe, none of the B&M's went down, and we got an end of the day double ride on Millenium Force when it was raining. It kinda hurt going 90+ MPH sitting in the front seat, but there didn't even seem to be a mention of the ride being closed by the OPS. I think we even got a double ride on Valravn without even getting out of our seats, and it was definitely raining.

Get a poncho if you need to!