Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby LiftThrill » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:31 pm

How reliable is the Pigeon Forge forecast about a week out? If I were to do that trip I'd have to check around a week prior to the visit to decide what park I was hitting.
The calendar says that Dollywood will be open 11AM-9PM on the Friday directly after Thanksgiving, which should include the warmest parts of the day. Even getting a single ride in on LR and eating some cinnamon bread would probably make the trip worth it, considering we got predictably burned on our 2016 trip (who didn't?).
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:58 pm

LiftThrill wrote:How reliable is the Pigeon Forge forecast about a week out? If I were to do that trip I'd have to check around a week prior to the visit to decide what park I was hitting.
The calendar says that Dollywood will be open 11AM-9PM on the Friday directly after Thanksgiving, which should include the warmest parts of the day. Even getting a single ride in on LR and eating some cinnamon bread would probably make the trip worth it, considering we got predictably burned on our 2016 trip (who didn't?).

The forecast in the smokies can honestly change by the hour. More so in the summer time than the fall. For example it can say “Sunny and 90’s” all week long. The day of your trip the forecast changes to rain all week. Then once you get there only a couple days of rain with small chances. We usually go to the park and play it by the hour. Meaning if it’s a quick weekend trip down we’ll go down Friday evening, watch the forecast all night. If rain is in the forecast and includes lightning (and doesn’t change) we’ll change to Sunday if it looks better.
So regarding thanksgiving your main concern will be rain, snow possibilities, and cold temps. I’d honestly just watch it every single day because it’ll change. Look at a 14 day forecast as well. Another example is below. Those days I have circled will more than likely change. I don’t look for tomorrow to change so I wouldn’t go tomorrow if I was anyone. It’ll be a wet, stormy day.
795BB03E-2DB1-49DC-B8F3-5FBBE5A30613.jpeg

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby dstephe9 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:09 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ Lightning Rod was actually the last to open at Smoky Mountain Christmas. It looked like it needed the temperature to hit 42 to open when I was there.

Lightning Rod, Wild Eagle, Thunderhead, Mystery Mine, and Firechaser Express all have disclaimers about running in hot temperatures.
Lightening Rod will actually run colder than most coasters though. I have been there when it and wild eagle were the only two left running. I guess when it gets going, it's fine even during colder temps

Tennessee Tornado is normally the first to close during the winter.. Most coasters though, do end up opening until late December.. you might have a day or two where they never open but normally they will open in Nov and early December

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby TBpony414 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:59 pm

LiftThrill wrote:Side note: We're working on adding one or two parks to our short Thanksgiving road trip. I didn't realize it at first, but Dollywood is a similar distance from my getaway from a few of the other parks I was considering... If anyone has experience with the Christmas event, crowds, what rides are open and if they have specific temperature limits, that'd be really good to know in deciding what park to tack on to our Thanksgiving getaway! thanks in advance

I was there over Christmas week last year and it was crazy cold at times but as soon as temps hit 40 deg everything outdoors started running except for the water rides. Going for the shows and more importantly the lights themselves is truly worth it! I have been to many, many different Christmas events and theirs was just beautiful. We got Timesaver Unlimited passes the one day and another day we walked on everything without the passes. Hope this helps!

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Jelenp » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 am

LiftThrill wrote:The calendar says that Dollywood will be open 11AM-9PM on the Friday directly after Thanksgiving, which should include the warmest parts of the day. Even getting a single ride in on LR and eating some cinnamon bread would probably make the trip worth it, considering we got predictably burned on our 2016 trip (who didn't?).

I went last Thanksgiving on both Thanksgiving Thursday and Sunday. Everything was open as long as temperatures were over a certain point. On their app if I do recall they have the temps listed for when each ride closes/opens. I would recommend to download the app and keep a close eye on ride openings/closings as they usually are pretty reliable and helpful. I also would say that on the Friday after Thanksgiving is usually pretty packed so I would watch out for that. Otherwise have fun and good luck with the trip.
Top 5: 1. Storm Chaser 2. Steel Vengeance 3. Lightning Rod 4. Maverick 5. Lightning Run
Coaster Count: 103
I <3 Dollywood

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 am

This page of the website is new and if it's accurate, it means they are planning to take a page out of the Six Flags playbook and be more aggressive this year.

In the past, all coasters opened at 40 degrees (or a few degrees more for Mystery Mine and Firechaser). Now, it looks like all coasters will open once the minimum temperature requirement is met except for Mystery Mine, Firechaser and Whistle Punk Chaser where it still needs to be 40. The shut down temperature used to be 36 but it dropped for a lot of rides, including Tornado which always used to close first.

If they stick to this it should be the best Smoky Mountain Christmas ever. Last year they really started to push Wild Eagle on sub freezing nights. This year they dropped the limits for everything. Maybe they've seen what Cedar Fair and Six Flags have been doing and they decided to follow suit.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 am

That's awesome they posted that!

Well I think it's safe to say that Drop Line won't be closing. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Twisted Colossus, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Knott's Merry Farm & Universal Studios Hollywood

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:42 am

Do they usually have TimeSaver available during SMC? If they do, crowds/what day we go shouldn't be a HUGE issue for us because we'll just grab TimeSaver unlimited. We're still deciding between SFOG and Dollywood for that week, might do both depending on what goes on leading up to that time. One of the best Christmas events ever + Lightning Rod is really hard to pass up especially considering we missed LR last time :lol:

Canobie Coaster wrote:Well I think it's safe to say that Drop Line won't be closing. :lol:

:nina:
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

Postby coasterbill » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:51 am

LiftThrill wrote:Do they usually have TimeSaver available during SMC? If they do, crowds/what day we go shouldn't be a HUGE issue for us because we'll just grab TimeSaver unlimited. We're still deciding between SFOG and Dollywood for that week, might do both depending on what goes on leading up to that time. One of the best Christmas events ever + Lightning Rod is really hard to pass up especially considering we missed LR last time :lol:

Yes, and I believe you can reserve priority seating at a show with it also which is a big deal since otherwise you generally have to get in line for those up to an hour in advance on busy days in some of the smaller theaters to ensure that you get a seat.

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby TBpony414 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:56 pm

coasterbill wrote:
LiftThrill wrote:Do they usually have TimeSaver available during SMC? If they do, crowds/what day we go shouldn't be a HUGE issue for us because we'll just grab TimeSaver unlimited.

Yes, and I believe you can reserve priority seating at a show with it also which is a big deal since otherwise you generally have to get in line for those up to an hour in advance on busy days in some of the smaller theaters to ensure that you get a seat.

Yes to Timesaver Unlimited being available during SMC and Bill is correct that you can reserve priority seating for the shows, which you should absolutely do because show queues will begin over an hour before the show starts and they absolutely will fill to capacity. You reserve the show times at the Timesaver building when you get them (or you can stop by at any point in the day to reserve) however if you decide to not show up to the show it's no big deal - they will give the seats to someone else in the standby line. Timesaver seats are in a dedicated front section of the theatres. Even in the big theatre having the Timesaver seating is great because you can waltz up 15 mins before the show starts instead of waiting in an absolutely massive (and I mean MASSIVE) show queue line winding around the park in the freezing cold and *hoping* you will get let in.

Bill - nice work on finding the minimum operating ride temperatures!!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!