TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

^Heck yeah! Bring it up to the level it deserves. The 4th car on the Blue Streak went away for a "rehab" a couple years ago and never came back. That would be nice to see!

I'd be willing to bet that the fourth car is on the track right now, but scattered throughout cars 1, 2, and 3...

Just had a chance to catch up on this thread today and all I can say is WOW to those above pics. I was floored that there were lines when I was there on Friday (there were over 100 people in line for the Train!), but those seem like walk-ons compared to Groupon $5 day. That Paratrooper line is insane! I guess I should say "good for them". It is absolutely astounding to see this after so many years of 10 cars in the parking lot and maybe 100 people in the park total.

Is it possible Conneaut Lake Park is a viable business after all?

^ Since the train can only hold approximately 24 people per trip, should we start complaining about capacity now that the crowds are increasing?

I do seem to recall the train having more than 2 passenger cars in the past, but I believe the extra weight was causing issues, especially when trying to navigate the slight uphill turn near the front entrance. I experienced a "derailment" on one of my rides several years back. No injuries to anyone on board, but still kind of unnerving!

I've been following this park "closely from afar" pretty consistently for the last several years, but it's still so weird to me to see an operating waterslide and lazy river!

Is it possible Conneaut Lake Park is a viable business after all?

Only at a $5 price point apparently!

Yeah...something that's stuck in my mind is a detailed comment I remember reading here where someone said not to get too excited or optimistic regarding crowded days here, since they mostly correlate with rock-bottom prices.

Yeah, I mean it seems though that the $5 days are maybe more crowded than last year. Some general improvements like a few more bumper cars, asphalt, fix music express to run a bit faster, etc. would go a long way. The only other thing is they keep water park admission at $10 on $5 days and so you hope with that and some food purchases they can do alright those days. They swapped operating schedule from last year a bit. Water park no longer open on Mondays but now both sides are open Thursday-Sunday. That seems encouraging?

^The water park arguably has more demand than the dry park, which is crazy considering it’s a lazy river and one slide essentially. People just love water parks. I really think reopening the water park has greatly attributed to the large rise in attendance that CLP has had year over year. It’s great people pay full price for it too.

One thing I noticed by stalking public Facebook posts for years is there are a lot more people from Pittsburgh checking in. I also see a lot more “we are planning to go in a few weeks” comments and a lot fewer “I thought that place closed down years ago. I haven’t been in decades” or “never heard of it”. That transistion gives me a lot of hope since the park can’t survive just on locals and enthusiasts.

The park has stated they want to add a used flat ride next year. While the enthusiast in me loves that idea, I think they’re better off focusing on general park improvements, a water park expansion, or some kind of adventure park attraction. I just don’t see how adding a used carnival ride is going to have ROI.

I'm glad to see the park appears to be doing better, as even the staff were pretty doom and gloom about its future a couple of years ago when I went. I will say, however, that having been there once, and experienced the place, I probably wouldn't be too inclined to go back myself, unless it was at a discounted gate. It just seems like a "discount" park to me, so I probably won't ever pay full price again...

Some general improvements like a few more bumper cars, asphalt, fix music express to run a bit faster, etc. would go a long way.

Agreed completely. The Music Express used to run much faster than it does now. Not sure what happened there.

The park did make some nice improvements the past 2 years: the side entrance behind the lazy river, the rebranding of the two food stands next to the Blue Streak and next to the Tumble Bug, a new "Sweet Shop" stand next to the Kiddieland entrance, and what seem to be yearly improvements to the Devil's Den. Every year I ride it seems like they have added something new. This year for the ride's 50th anniversary there are a couple new scenes and movement has been added to them as well. Whoever is in charge of the Den deserves a lot of credit for maintaining the ride as well as they have.

Aside from the asphalt, I do think the park should take a look at why there is so much water next to the Tumble Bug. My guess is there is some sort of leak in the waterpark, and while it isn't necessarily dangerous, it does look kind of odd.

Oh and one more thing- maybe CLP should consider re-opening the ticket booths at the abandoned front entrance. With lines increasing, having a few extra places to purchase ride wristbands would be a big help.

Just my two cents on a park I thought for sure was dead many, many times!

I made my first ever visit to the park on June 30th on my way from Pittsburgh to Waldameer. I mainly just wanted to ride Blue Streak a couple of times and had done no real research into what was happening with the park. The crowds definitely surprised me and the park was a lot nicer than I was expecting. As someone else said, barring a major new attraction, I don't know that I'd go back but it was nice to see this old park getting some love (and crowds).

*I rode Blue Streak twice, once in the front and once in the back (I think I pissed off a local who wanted the back also). I actually liked the ride in the front but the back was pretty brutal.

• 2 months later...
^If you do get back to the park, make sure you get 2nd to back on Blue Streak. It's all the airtime of the very back, but much less bumpy.

Good to hear you had fun!

I agree-usually I'm a "front seat guy",but I found Blue Streak's last car to be better than the first.

And as far as the ferris wheel goes,no matter where they put it,I just hope it has a working light package!

I agree-usually I'm a "front seat guy",but I found Blue Streak's last car to be better than the first.

Agreed. It was even better when they had four cars running instead of three.