TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

We went to the park last Friday and we had a good day overall! It was super hot, but the crowds were pretty light for a Friday. Joker had some issues, and quite a few rides were closed. That was kind of annoying, especially since it was 4th of July weekend, but oh well.

Jewy joined us for the morning, and I had my nephews with me as well. We had a flash pass for two people, and it worked out well between all of us and it not being too busy. I feel kind of bad that my newborn daughters first ever amusement park was Six Flags, I hope she doesn't hold it against me. ;) Jacob has finally hit 42", so he was able to hit a few more rides, but more importantly, the Sky Coaster! He's been wanting to do it for a bit and he loved it! He is not scared of heights at all, so I ended up being a lot more scared on it than he was.

I still can't believe how ridiculously priced the food is. It is more expensive than Disneyland and some baseball stadiums, and the quality is much much lower. Oh well, that's Six Flags! The operations were ok. In general, the employees that work in the kids areas are excellent at SFDK. I've always been extremely impressed at how fun, nice, and kind they are in the kids areas. It's generally the opposite operations on the big rides. Pretty slow, just going through the motions. Anyways, SFDK still seems like one of the better run SF parks I've been to.

SFDKIMG_9266.thumb.JPG.4a797acd7e16c5d0fd4c2978e670d96a.JPG

Jacob is really excited for his first Sky Coaster!

SFDKIMG_5439.thumb.JPG.e16b4b091ac2166b7c333bed35d3bd2d.JPG

As we were leaving, the swings were stuck in the air with people on it. Sucks to be them!

SFDKIMG_2974.thumb.JPG.e15c11ecdfe1889ce5bd3e0dff411cb5.JPG

You can tell how happy we was at how long the cycle times were.

SFDKIMG_4463.thumb.JPG.aeb0db4d0f30f1949465f85c66551f69.JPG

He's still small enough to like the kids ride.

SFDKIMG_0347.thumb.JPG.392a399143141c04503d26618352a33d.JPG

We had a buy one get one free offer so we wanted to go again!

SFDKIMG_6820.thumb.JPG.b131b8ab47ea2fb8599a1dddb0ca3344.JPG

Jamie's excited for her fist visit to a theme park!

SFDKIMG_5752.thumb.PNG.adb761408981677f1f543464994da394.PNG

My nephews on the carnival ride.

SFDKIMG_1719.thumb.JPG.8b20309b613d4c130989a02a492b6dec.JPG

They enjoyed Medusa as always.

SFDKIMG_5739.thumb.PNG.9363edbebadc6961ac4842b4f0c433ec.PNG

He loved it!

SFDKIMG_9268.thumb.jpg.7fcabdd72fd291cd63044fb07b5b5115.jpg

All ready to go.

SFDKIMG_6007.thumb.JPG.e2e1d9683c3d8c0c4b253ebda32b0835.JPG

Next up was the fastest ride in the park! (I'm not kidding!)

SFDKIMG_5664.thumb.JPG.228d7021b48e50c9ca0308f81f1154ce.JPG

Jewy and Amy enjoyed The Joker while the girls behind them enjoyed the hair time!

SFDKIMG_0986.thumb.JPG.8a58fd3d2844770932332bbff53be503.JPG

Sign.

SFDKIMG_2417.thumb.JPG.f513b9bfd2548a1e5ebf0ef319a8a975.JPG

Hey, it's the Ray's at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom!

SFDKIMG_5648.thumb.PNG.de071d17baf85eb743a6397cbaefc592.PNG

He is finally tall enough for Cobra. Why this ride has a 42" in requirement is beyond me.

SFDKIMG_5847.thumb.JPG.d31c3d0771eec40789e49d99a796da5e.JPG

Just some dummies waiting to ride!

SFDKIMG_7023.thumb.JPG.a02a8a7b1b3f26c387ed80e16421df6f.JPG

Harley Quinn still hasn't opened yet.

Edited by jray21

^Nice mini report. I take it V2 was closed, what other rides/coasters weren't operating? I'll be there for the first time in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what I should expect to not be open.

I was there last Friday as well. Yep, V2 was closed, the train was in seemingly a thousand pieces in the station. Everything else I walked by seemed to be running, though I didn't walk to every corner of the park, so I could have missed something.

^Nice mini report. I take it V2 was closed, what other rides/coasters weren't operating? I'll be there for the first time in a couple weeks and I'm wondering what I should expect to not be open.

V2, Voodoo, Hammerhead, were the ones I remember off the top of my head, and a few of the kids rides in Tava's Jungle Land. Nothing really that major, but my son was annoyed that his favorite Jumping Frog ride was closed.

^I will admit I'm a little bummed V2 will be closed (unless hell freezes over and Six Flags assembles the train and reopens the ride within the next two weeks lol). I really like the Intamin Impulses I've ridden (Wicked Twister and Possessed), and this one looks even freakier than those. But I'm still super pumped for Joker, Superman, Medusa, and even Harley Quinn, so I have plenty other rides to look forward too.

Thanks for the info.

Not to sound whiny, but does Joker have nylon wheels again? I rode it yesterday evening with some colleagues who wanted to visit the park with me, and it felt slower, and some of the airtime moments weren't very powerful at all. I actually dropped it down a whole spot.

Again, this is not to sound like I'm complaining or annoying, I'm just wondering if anyone else thinks it's been running slower.

^ And yes, to confirm, V2 was still closed yesterday.

^Medusa treatment? lol

Actually wouldn't Nylon wheels make it better (faster, stronger) because of the harder wheels? I'd think so? In either case, I still love that ride, but it's intensity really depends on where you sit.

^Medusa treatment? lol

Actually wouldn't Nylon wheels make it better (faster, stronger) because of the harder wheels? I'd think so? In either case, I still love that ride, but it's intensity really depends on where you sit.

Sorry, I should have been clear. I was referring to Medusa at Six Flags Mexico which had a different wheel set put on when they installed VR on the ride and it has apparently been running slower than usual due to this.

I'm thinking of Storm Chaser opening season - people who rode it with the nylon wheels generally didn't like it as much as people who rode with the polyurethane. Could be a warming up later in the season thing?

The polyurethane also runs smoother (the stuff saved the skateboard industry because of this).

^No, and yes, respectively, are the answers to your questions.

Hahaha. I think I spoke just a little too soon. SFDK posted on their Instagram "Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster coming your way SOON!"

Not that that tells us much, but hopefully they're getting close to solving whatever issues they've been having. I'm really crossing my fingers for it to be open when I'm there on the 23rd.

Sounds like the new Skywarp may be one of the worst investments SF has ever made. SFOT and SFGadv, respectively, have been having tons of problems with their new ABC Tourbillion rides. But apparently you guys are having even worse problems with your new Skyline attraction. I hope SF doesn't end up regretting that they bought these rides.

Edited by Sportsdude360

Sounds like the new Skywarp may be one of the worst investments SF has ever made. SFOT and SFGA, respectively, have been having tons of problems with their new ABC Tourbillion rides. But apparently you guys are having even worse problems with your new Skyline attraction. I hope SF doesn't end up regretting that they bought these rides.

Oh for goodness' sake, they're flat rides. Prototype flat rides. Prototype flat rides with a manufacturer warranty.

If you seriously think that a few flat rides that are having trouble getting running properly is going to cause Six Flags to go bankrupt (EDIT: talking in hyberbole, not literally), you need to go ride New Texas Giant or something and then reconsider what you were thinking.

Edited by A.J.

Sounds like the new Skywarp may be one of the worst investments SF has ever made. SFOT and SFGA, respectively, have been having tons of problems with their new ABC Tourbillion rides. But apparently you guys are having even worse problems with your new Skyline attraction. I hope SF doesn't end up regretting that they bought these rides.

Does anyone know if X2 was partially responsible for Six Flags going bankrupt? I'm guessing rides like Kingda Ka, El Toro, both Goliaths and Tatsu were probably responsible for SF going bankrupt.

Does anyone know if X2 was partially responsible for Six Flags going bankrupt? I'm guessing rides like Kingda Ka, El Toro, both Goliaths and Tatsu were probably responsible for SF going bankrupt.

X2 bankrupt Arrow, you're right about the rest

^Yes. Sort of. Six Flags went bankrupt in the 2000's due to both overinvestment and underinvestment. In the early 2000's, Six Flags built massive attractions at several of their parks, often with massive budgets. There was just no way these investments could make back their budget in the short term. This is to say nothing about all the useless licencing they bought up.

While some parks were seeing major investments, other parks were pretty much being ignored, seeing falling attendance. The most notable example was Astroworld, but there were a few others in the chain.