Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

P. 362: Timber Wolf gets an 70° over banked turn in 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
What I do and who I am

Re: Worlds of Fun (WOF) Discussion Thread

Postby pianojohn » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:58 am

Just got back from a quick trip to Worlds of Fun for my first time ever!

Got there about 9:30 so was able to get in for the early season pass admission at 9:45. Thanks to the helpful advice received here, I was able to do Spinning Dragons with no wait, Patriot front row (no wait), Timber Wolf (the only person on the ride!), Mamba, and Boomerang.

Prowler. OUCH. I mean seriously?? It felt like they forgot to tighten every bolt and screw on the track, so running over them was like being jack hammered at 40 mph. Has it always been this awful?

Literally got to ride every coaster in about an hour and still had time for the log ride and train.
IMG_5652.jpg
Nice entrance though the walk from the parking lot seems long
IMG_5657.JPG
The carousel
IMG_5666.JPG
See? I am the only one on Timber Wolf!
IMG_5670.JPG
Yes. I rode this.
IMG_5676.JPG
Eh. Not impressed
IMG_5677.JPG
OK ride
IMG_5678.JPG
No. NO. NO. Painful from the first drop to the end.
IMG_5705.JPG
IMG_5708.JPG
Thanks to FunPix and my Platinum Pass add on, these were all included!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Awesome! Glad you got to do all that. Haven't been this year yet myself, but typically it's really good in the spring and by fall it does get rough. It's usually not too bad this time of year, but maybe they didn't wuite do as much due to finishing Timber Wolf.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby boweryboy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:27 pm

pianojohn wrote:Just got back from a quick trip to Worlds of Fun for my first time ever!

Awesome! I was just there two weeks ago for the first time ever as well. Every ride was a walk on so we covered the park in no time. We bought fast lane passes online weeks ahead of time and were bit bummed that we didn't need them but better safe than sorry.

I found Timberwolf to be absolutely painful—moreso than Prowler. It hurt sooooooooooo much from beginning to end. Even the new section couldn't save it from being flat out unrideable. I did it a second time in the back and it was even worse.

I loved Prowler's speed. It was relentlessly fast from start to finish but incredibly rough as well. I didn't find it painfully rough or unrideable rough but it wasn't pleasant, that's for sure.

Mamba surprised me. I loved it! Or at least the first half. I felt the back seat had some decent ejector air over the two hills and the hang time in the front seat seemed to last forever. The bunny hills on the return were between uncomfortable and painful in the back with some mild floater air in the front and middle. We rode it at least a dozen times, mostly in the front.

Partriot was alright. I'm not a huge fan of these type of coasters because they all seem to ride the same in my opinion so waiting fr more than 15 minutes to ride it would be too long for me.

Spinning Dragons was a fun family coaster. It seemed to spin faster the heavier the riders are and there's a decent airtime hill at the end.

Overall, I thought WoF was a cute park with a decent collection of coasters and classic flat rides. I spent a lot of time on the Trioka (Mustang Runner) and Enterprise (Zulu) as well. I haven't seen or ridden either one of those rides since I was around 13.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:19 pm

^^ Great report!

I avoided wheel seats on Timber Wolf as a precaution, but I found it pretty smooth. The retracked bit ran great and the end is trimmed so much that the bumps aren't an issue.

As for Prowler, it definitely was bumpy and difficult to reride, which was a shame since I loved the layout and pacing.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby sdcfan88 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:24 pm

Interesting, I didn't think either was that bad and re-rode both 5x (went on opening night for the Timberwolf reborn event) But I am a wood coaster guy so maybe I am just used to them.

Postby DILinator » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Dang! I have yet to ride Prowler, and had heard it rode great back when it opened. Hopefully, they do a little re-tracking or something to take care of the "roughness" it seems many are experiencing, before I someday make my way out there again.

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:11 am

sdcfan88 wrote:Interesting, I didn't think either was that bad and re-rode both 5x (went on opening night for the Timberwolf reborn event) But I am a wood coaster guy so maybe I am just used to them.

Prowler was still the best ride in the park and I rode it multiple times. I just couldn't chain rides back to back.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland), Phoenix, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Dutch Wonderland & Hersheypark- Summer

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby boweryboy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:41 pm

I'm in the minority here about Prowler's ridability. I'm a lover of wooden coasters so I expect some level of roughness and in Prowler's case the roughness was walking the line between being ridable and unridable. I found it uncomfortably rough, more than usual for a woodie, but not painful or unridable. Although, I can see where others are coming from about it's ridablity.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby WOF_Fan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:47 am

Looks like Urgent Scare will be no more and will become a different Haunt in video WOF posted to social media today.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby WOF_Fan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:49 am

boweryboy wrote:I'm in the minority here about Prowler's ridability. I'm a lover of wooden coasters so I expect some level of roughness and in Prowler's case the roughness was walking the line between being ridable and unridable. I found it uncomfortably rough, more than usual for a woodie, but not painful or unridable. Although, I can see where others are coming from about it's ridablity.

I guess I am with you. I have never found Prowler that rough. Maybe it is the seat I sit in. But I have been on it about 6 times this year, and its been great all 6 times. I still find the last part of Timber Wolf way rougher than any part of Prowler.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!