TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

LOVE LOVE LOVE all the LOVE that was obviously put into this ride! The Slinky Dog goes waaaaay back and should appeal to all generations. Visually, this new ride has lots of charm....and its "slinky" movement along the tracks made me laugh. (Now, if they would only make a Shih Tzu theme ride. SORRY, my Shih Tzu made me say that! )

Alice

Nice little coaster for adults. Adults who enjoyed the original Toy Story movie will LOVE it, as in the video. The video doesn't show any scared little kids crying. Teenagers would be bored. A lot of kids will being crying on that coaster. Way to intense for little 'Disney' kids! Also, way too intense for Grandma and Grandpa to ride with the scared grandkids, IMO.

Well, we know where this was posted from:

science-hyperbolic-hyperbolic_chambers-exaggerated-exaggerations-scientists-grb120823_low.jpg

It's pretty cool how they have the launch programmed (at least how it looks to me) to be fairly gentle initially then pick up speed at the end of the run. Really looks like a fun family coaster, I'm sure this thing will draw massive crowds like 7 Dwarves did and I'd love to see a similar type of ride experience eventually in Animal Kingdom and EPCOT, the Inside Out Emotion Coaster haha.

Yeah, I can sort of see waiting a couple hours for a new coaster, but waiting that long for a silly flat ride that is just like something you'd ride at a parking lot fun fair? People are insane.

When it's got the Disney brand on it, and it's themed totally different than what you see

at carnivals and/or fairs (see: Dumbo) ...they'll queue for hours for it, lol.

Hey - it's DISNEY, right? And by the way, when I finally rode the one in DCA (Mater's Jamboree) Sept.2016,

it totally took me back to the old adult sized whip rides that were plentiful in parks - not so much nowadays.

That's why I enjoyed it so much for repeat rides. So the Saucers Attraction will have it's major queues.

Yeah, I can sort of see waiting a couple hours for a new coaster, but waiting that long for a silly flat ride that is just like something you'd ride at a parking lot fun fair? People are insane.

If you honestly think Alien Swirling Saucers is "just like something you'd ride at a parking lot fun fair" then my thoughts about you is probably something I shouldn't post. Seriously, I cannot stand ignorant comments like this. There is just zero reason to make it.

While I actually agree that I don't understand why people "need to be first" to ride something, there is no need to make disparaging comments about an attraction that is perfectly fine at the same time. Next time, please try to be less obnoxious with your responses. Thanks.

^It's up to 180 at Midday now so I'd expect it to be crazy high like that each day until September.

I think Slinky will settle into waits of about 60 most days once Star Wars and Mickey open. I'm imagining it will regularly look like this for the first year:

Battle Escape: 2-2.5 Hours

Millenium Falcon: 2-3 Hours

Slinky Dog: 60-90 Minutes

ASS: 30

Mickey Railway: About 90 Minutes

TSM: 40

Rockin: 30-45

Tower: 30 to 1 Hour

Star Tours: 20-35

I think DHS Attendance in 2020 will also be second at Disney World, and potentially get near Universal Studios Japan/Disney Sea closer to the top 5 in the world. People are going to visit there in droves. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if TLM, Beauty and the Beast, Indiana Jones, or Rockin' get a refresh or replacement.

It's the new hotness with one of the most recognizable, popular I.P.s, that's just what happens. I think Canada Bill (Nrthwnd) posted a photo of Tokyo DisneySea's Toy Story Mania with a 400 (!!) minute standby time, while it absolutely sucks beyond all manner of comprehension it's not exactly unprecedented.

People (especially fans) will do anything to get the imaginary "I was first" medallion. I'll bet that some families even planned their vacation around being there at Toy Story Land's opening. I'm certainly a little disappointed that they didn't do an early passholder preview but it's really no big deal. In my opinion the people who might not get to experience the park ever are just a little bit more important than I am, considering I can go whenever I want 48 weeks out of the year...

The swirling saucers ride looks pretty fun. It looks like a modern take on the classic whip ride but maybe not as much of the "whipping" action that you get on the whips? Has anyone been on a ride with this type of ride system that can comment on how similar the experience is to like a classic whip? Either way it still looks fun, and the themeing of it all is really impressive.

Also just a comment, but as much as Disney has pushed the next gen interactive ques in recent years I'm kind of surprised that those concepts didn't make it into Toy Story land (unless I missed it in the preview videos). Seems like a buzzer system with an indoor playground similar to Dumbo would have been perfect for Swirling Saucers, especially considering that this thing will probably have a consistent 30-45 minute wait even after the "newnes" dies off.

The swirling saucers ride looks pretty fun. It looks like a modern take on the classic whip ride but maybe not as much of the "whipping" action that you get on the whips? Has anyone been on a ride with this type of ride system that can comment on how similar the experience is to like a classic whip? Either way it still looks fun, and the themeing of it all is really impressive.

Also just a comment, but as much as Disney has pushed the next gen interactive ques in recent years I'm kind of surprised that those concepts didn't make it into Toy Story land (unless I missed it in the preview videos). Seems like a buzzer system with an indoor playground similar to Dumbo would have been perfect for Swirling Saucers, especially considering that this thing will probably have a consistent 30-45 minute wait even after the "newnes" dies off.

It's the same as the Cars Junkyard Jamboree at DCA - just with a different theme.

It is quite an intense whip ride for Disney to be honest, nowhere near classic whips, but considering its a family/kids ride, it's pretty good, you get a pretty sharp "whip" action

New concept art has been released for Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway.

And after seeing it, I am convinced that this attraction will be A BIG SURPRISE among

everything that we know about (incl. Toy Story Land and Galaxy's Edge), opening

in the next few years.

RunawayTrain02.thumb.jpg.eb9f1f87740e39c0496b286b459a70dd.jpg

RunawayTrain03.thumb.jpg.4103c8e8a2f6bce68cc346a918ed0394.jpg

Edited by Nrthwnd

It's the same as the Cars Junkyard Jamboree at DCA - just with a different theme.

Yeah, it's interesting how often that attraction type has been used in such a short time. This will be the third one. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree was the first, Woody's Roundup at Shanghai Disneyland is the second, this will be the third. If concept art is any indication, the system will be showing up at Tokyo Disneyland and Walt Disney Studios Paris in a few years, making five total. It's basically the next Dumbo The Flying Elephant.

^ I agree, the recent art concept of Disney Studios Paris' future expansion shows,

they just might get a clone of the Swirling Saucers!

P.S. I do think though, that somehow, that little Cars Rally ride (I forget the French name)

opposite Crush's Coaster, was a second step (2007) in creating these new whip-like attractions.

Taking the basic carnival ride (as that is) and then expanding it into.... what they're

creating and building now.

Francis' Ladybug Boogie at DCA was the first version (2002) of this. So this should count, too.

Just a 5 cent thought, here.

dlp-announcement_feb-27-2018d.jpg.3e74482f28e8a36c37e0bf8e449d8790.jpg

dscn3327_149.jpg.f8e1a1dd68e05f8817635e7f2fae0eea.jpg

Car Rally at WDS.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The opening date for the newest experience at Disney's Hollywood Studios, Lightning McQueen's Racing Academy has been revealed!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/01/start-your-engines-lightning-mcqueens-racing-academy-sets-opening-date/

lm0239480234fi-768x432.jpg.0307640ad0ff383fdcc747cc94db43bd.jpg

Ka-chow! I have some electrifying news to share with you today about Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy. This new show experience speeding into Disney’s Hollywood Studios will open … drumroll please … March 31, 2019!

Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy will welcome you inside the world of Pixar’s Cars films, bringing you face to face with racing legend Lightning McQueen. You’ll be part of the next generation of rookie racers, and you’ll learn the rules of the road from Lightning’s years of experience. This will be the untold story of Lightning McQueen – as told by Lightning McQueen!

We’ll be sharing more details about Lightning McQueen’s Racing Academy in the weeks to come. And be sure to check back to the Disney Parks Blog tomorrow morning for another update on other exciting entertainment experiences coming to Walt Disney World Resort later this year!

It's the new hotness with one of the most recognizable, popular I.P.s, that's just what happens. I think Canada Bill (Nrthwnd) posted a photo of Tokyo DisneySea's Toy Story Mania with a 400 (!!) minute standby time, while it absolutely sucks beyond all manner of comprehension it's not exactly unprecedented.

People (especially fans) will do anything to get the imaginary "I was first" medallion. I'll bet that some families even planned their vacation around being there at Toy Story Land's opening. I'm certainly a little disappointed that they didn't do an early passholder preview but it's really no big deal. In my opinion the people who might not get to experience the park ever are just a little bit more important than I am, considering I can go whenever I want 48 weeks out of the year...

There's another factor at play here:

Disney Cast Members are told to use between a 1:1 ratio and a 4:1 ratio favoring the FP+ line over the stand-by line at their discretion. But the higher the wait time, the more likely they are to go to a complete 4:1 ratio to make sure that they drain the FP+ line ASAP. So consider that your stand-by line is being throttled by about 5x compared to if FP+ didn't exist.

This actually only refers to WDW so I can't speak to how the FP+ works at other Disney parks outside of Orlando. I'd assume that the different variations of Fast Pass most likely also use the 4:1 ratio.

The takeaway is that Disney these days lives and dies by those Fast Passes. If you can get good ones, you can get on some rides. If you miss out on them, expect to wait a lot longer in the stand-by.