TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

To the locals reading about the park’s reported success in the paper, the paper ignores that the park is failing to pay its taxes. The paper has not reported to residents that U.S. bankruptcy court filings show the attorney for the lake sewer system officially told the bankruptcy court last month the park has not paid its sewer taxes since February of 2016. No surprise there. The park propaganda source actually falsely told locals the park paid off the balance on its back property taxes. That is how the local news reporting on park matters goes. But fake news is all the rage these days. The unpaid sewer bill does not count the $646,000 the park previously stated it owes and has not paid to the local sewer authority.The park's paid management charges the park $10,000 a month. Park figures filed in court indicate the park's paid mangers have charged more than $650,000 to to take over and run the park. The park continue to cheat locals by not paying their delinquent back and current sewer tax bills.

So after they've paid back something like 80% of 20 years of back taxes, you still want to rush to close the park why? So you can get a short term fix of selling the land under it to a real estate developer that'll demand TIFs to actually develop it into condos or townhomes?

Lorraine comes across as a NIMBY who's looking for any reason possible to close the park in spite of the obvious value the park if successful can have for the local economy. Unfortunately they don't know nearly as much about economics as they think.

• 4 months later...

I'm going to have to try to make it back there this year. I've only been there for the Halloween event in recent years but it would be nice to revisit this park after 25 or so years of not going (and just get a bunch of rides on Blue Streak, because it's inexpensive).

I know the park has problems, but it would be nice to see it succeed and get out of the terrible financial problems the park had.

I keep saying I'll visit this park before they close for good. I almost made it there last year, but they were closed due to rain (I don't fault them one bit for closing since it was a torrential downpour all day. I think most parks would have closed but because Waldameer is awesome they stayed open almost the entire day).

That was cool...glad to hear that the park is still hanging on and even turning a profit. Despite the fact that I know that it would likely never happen, I would love to see this park turn into a mini-Knoebels.

The main thing people need to remember at CLP is to not walk and look at their cell phones or they're pretty much guaranteed that they are going to twist an ankle where the cement has buckled from the tree roots.

The main thing people need to remember at CLP is to not walk and look at their cell phones or they're pretty much guaranteed that they are going to twist an ankle where the cement has buckled from the tree roots.

The man is not lying!

That was cool...glad to hear that the park is still hanging on and even turning a profit. Despite the fact that I know that it would likely never happen, I would love to see this park turn into a mini-Knoebels.

I was watching the footage of the park walk through and had the same thought. I've had a lot of ankle problems so just looking at the asphalt made me cringe a little. Even without looking at my phone that's some rough terrain. I'm sure fixing the asphalt is not high on the park's to do list though with their current finances.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm able to have more fun at Conneaut Lake than at most large corporate parks. Very happy to see they are cleaning it up, and new people are in the fold. The Blue Streak is one of the last remaining coasters in the world where you can get true air time - the kind where your butt actually leaves the seat more than an inch.

I've always seen the potential in Conneaut Lake, let's hope it gets there and ensures a bright future. With a little more TLC and people that care (and money!), it could be like a smaller version of Knoebels.

They're not usually open every day of the week but they are open all of next week because of the holiday. I may have to take a long lunch and take a few laps on Blue Streak it's been a long time since I've made it to Conneaut Lake Park for anything other then Halloween.

Ugh, I'm so ticked that it didn't work out for me to get there this year. West PA is top of my priority list for next year. I'm glad to see it doing well, so hopefully it will be even better next year.

Keep the photos coming! I absolutely love old parks. Like JT325 mentioned, I have more fun at these little classic places than the big parks. There's just some kind of genuine quality to an old establishment that you can't put into words.